UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> **Josh Barnett DECLINES UFC contract offer**

2/7/13 2:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mr.Negative
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

barnett would give a lot of people in the UFC fits. i'm not going to go out and say he's going to destroy guys like cain/jds/cormier but he's got a definite chance. 

and really, at the end of the day, this is about dana and his relationship with josh. those two have been at odds for fucking YEARS. one of the two sides is going to have to really bend for this deal to go through...and i don't think its going to be Dana.

although i would pay real money to see barnett submit lesnar. like, full price HD PPV...lol

2/7/13 2:43 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"and really, at the end of the day, this is about dana and his relationship with josh. those two have been at odds for fucking YEARS. one of the two sides is going to have to really bend for this deal to go through...and i don't think its going to be Dana."

It kind of sounds like Zuffa already bent and gave Josh the money he wanted at least.

2/7/13 2:54 PM
Mr.Negative
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

"and really, at the end of the day, this is about dana and his relationship with josh. those two have been at odds for fucking YEARS. one of the two sides is going to have to really bend for this deal to go through...and i don't think its going to be Dana."

It kind of sounds like Zuffa already bent and gave Josh the money he wanted at least.

it doesn't sound like money was ever the issue, so in my opinion there's something else that dana/josh aren't agreeing on and thats where we're going to see one of them "bend."

maybe its wrestling (doubt it), maybe its drug tests (doubt it) or maybe its fighting in japan (what i think the hang up is). in any case, either josh is going to have to accept what dana's terms are (since its already known that money isn't the issue) or dana is going to have to be willing to work within the framework of what josh wants. 

money isn't the issue here, ego is the issue.

2/7/13 2:57 PM
D241

I agree witih orcus on this one. I don't think it's about ego. In the past, probably. But from the looks of it, a deal was almost made. For a deal to almost be made, I don't think ego's were the problem. It sounds like 1 or 2 stipulations of the contract are the problem.

2/7/13 2:59 PM
vazzo

I think it was the "PEDs are illegal" point on the contract that caused the issue. JK
You don't need them anymore war master now that everyone can go through TRT, it's the same thing only it's "legal". Phone Post
2/7/13 3:00 PM
chokeyou

I bet the issue is Bellitor.

That statement about AN IMMINENT PPV is about JOsh.

He's going to headline that and we don't get to see him in the UFC..

Bet you anything thats what is going on.
2/7/13 3:01 PM
chokeyou

vazzo -  I think it was the "PEDs are illegal" point on the contract that caused the issue. JK
You don't need them anymore war master now that everyone can go through TRT, it's the same thing only it's "legal". Phone Post

You mean the ALISTER/CHAEL clause?
2/7/13 3:05 PM
RedDragons
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NAKMEEZY - Cormier already schooled him. UFC signed some big heavyweights this past 6 months. UFC needs Barnett way less than Barnett needs UFC..

Sadly true. But from the sounds of it, seeing as they had accepted a guaranteed payment offer(which sounds like PPV cuts or perhaps just his base show-up money), it must be the exclusive rights shit...either for likeness rights or rights to do the Japanese pro-wrasslin or some other shit outside of the UFC.
2/7/13 3:06 PM
chokeyou

RedDragons - 
NAKMEEZY - Cormier already schooled him. UFC signed some big heavyweights this past 6 months. UFC needs Barnett way less than Barnett needs UFC..

Sadly true. But from the sounds of it, seeing as they had accepted a guaranteed payment offer(which sounds like PPV cuts or perhaps just his base show-up money), it must be the exclusive rights shit...either for likeness rights or rights to do the Japanese pro-wrasslin or some other shit outside of the UFC.

Would the UFC blow this over likeness rights?
IF so, thats pretty fucked up..
2/7/13 3:18 PM
chew22
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC prob has a bunch of "standard clauses" that they want to strong arm so as not to set a precedent. Josh prob has big issue with one of those.

What types of clauses? Likeness, sponsor approval, personal time activity, etc. Many of those clauses limit earning potential for the signee or simply limit freedom.

2/7/13 9:37 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The biggest mouth in the heavyweight division and the most reluctant to back it up in the big leagues.

2/7/13 9:40 PM
chokeyou

philipee32 - just take the contract bitch

lol

agreed...
2/7/13 11:28 PM
Frank Mir Cat
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like hard times.
2/7/13 11:32 PM
Bill Pharoni
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good news, imo.
2/8/13 12:34 AM
orcus

If he doesn't come to the UFC and make something happen, the landmarks of his career will be a somewhat iffy, roid-fueled stoppage of Randy; and a split decision win over Nog who beat him in the rematch.

2/8/13 9:21 AM
NINERS76

I bet its something about if he fails test then owes UFC some cash and cant sign with another promotion.
2/8/13 9:52 AM
cheesesteak
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The more I think about this the more disappointed I am. What's the problem? If he runs through everyone in the UFC, he will be wealthier and more famous than he ever thought possible.
2/8/13 10:11 AM
Silhouette
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ill bet its the likeness rights

josh already has been in a Japanese game for the 360, and i believe was the basis for a character in another game. He talked about it on his last JRE appearance.
2/8/13 10:26 AM
DamnSevern
1189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its a fine line right

on one hand you want the fighter to be happy and do what he wants where he wants

on the other you want to see him test himself against the best hws (and cement his legacy/silence the doubters)

2/8/13 10:31 AM
FullyLoadedFists

Mix6APlix - No. Seriously. Fuck him. He has no place in the UFC. Go back to Japan where you can literally juice your balls off. Be a big fish in a small pond, instead of going to the big show and getting your ass whipped until you get cut.
Settle down faggot Phone Post
2/8/13 1:00 PM
IsmokeCrack

OmegaPoon -
NAKMEEZY - Cormier already schooled him. UFC signed some big heavyweights this past 6 months. UFC needs Barnett way less than Barnett needs UFC..
This Phone Post
Yeah, but I'm not the UFC. I'm a fan.

Barnett has been entertaining me/fans for YEARS. Add to the fact his longevity, and current status as top 10, what the fuck do I/fans care what kinda position UFC has over a fighter.

I/fans just want to see Barnett defend his uncontested UFC HW belt.

This is why ZUFFA gets hate. I/fans saved MMA. Now pay us back. Give us the Baby Faced Assassin!!! Phone Post
2/8/13 1:01 PM
IsmokeCrack

chokeyou -
philipee32 - just take the contract bitch

lol

agreed...
The shills have effected the sheep Phone Post
2/8/13 1:09 PM
IsmokeCrack

Mix6APlix -
FullyLoadedFists - 
Mix6APlix - No. Seriously. Fuck him. He has no place in the UFC. Go back to Japan where you can literally juice your balls off. Be a big fish in a small pond, instead of going to the big show and getting your ass whipped until you get cut.
Settle down faggot Phone Post

Um, no.
-He's pissed hot an numerous occasions.
-He's flat out said that he is all for juicing.
-Never has apologized for past transgressions, even half heartedly.
-Single handedly brought down an entire organization.

Josh has no place in the UFC. Like someone said, he needs the UFC a whole lot more than the UFC needs him. I've never been a fan, nor will I ever be. You can go back through Barnett threads for years, I have always had this stance, and I always will. If anyone should settle down it's all the noobs who buy into his hype that he would come into the UFC and walk through the HW division. Those who think that are uneducated, delusional, or both.
Do you only care about who gets caught?

**** NEWS FLASH ****

They all roid or have roided at some point. Maybe 10% have gone clean their entire career. Not enough to fill out even one weight class. Phone Post
2/8/13 1:11 PM
IsmokeCrack

Didn't he just refuse their contact? Linda kills the "he needs them" part of your argument. Phone Post
2/8/13 1:25 PM
fightsfan
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barnett is a historical UFC and MMA figure and still one of the best all around heavyweights on the planet.

And for sure one of the top HW in submission grappling. Unique crossever appeal in Pro Wrestling in Japan and maybe in US at some point.

Charismatic , a good interview. Sometimes a bit over the top on the WWE style talk even though I am a longtime fan.

Barnett is UFC gives them some much needed compelling HW matchups....

Lets go Josh and Dana...finalize this deal

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.