UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hughes: Strive to win new belt, not defend old

2/6/13 11:11 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Hall of Famer and former ruler of the promotion's welterweight roost, during a recent UFC fan chat, said the mixed martial arts (MMA) champions of today should take a page out of his book and go into a title fight looking to win a new belt, rather than defend the one they already have.

"I was big on always going out and winning a new belt. I never thought of it as defending a belt. I always thought of it as winning a new one. I think when people are trying to defend, they're not as exciting and they don't have as much drive as a guy trying to go out and win a new belt."

According to Matt, by obtaining this mentality, champions will be more 'exciting' and have more 'drive' to perform. The approach worked nicely for him, so why wouldn't it work for the rest of the UFC's divisional kingpins?

read entire article...

2/6/13 11:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
12SixElbow
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is why Hughes finished 8 of his 9 title "wins"

2/6/13 11:14 PM
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes was a beast. Not sure why I don't add him on my GOAT list more often, but he is one of the single most vicious and effective fighters to ever call the UFC home. Hughes is the true wrestler/MMA fighter protoype. 

2/6/13 11:16 PM
ChaosOverkill
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/06/13 11:18 PM

I like the mentality but GSP finished all the guys they have in comon that Matt beat.  The only ones he didn't are the ones Matt Lost to. Alves and Koscheck.\

And I'm considering the 2nd Penn fight a finish.

2/6/13 11:17 PM
ChaosOverkill
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But yes, having the belt has made GSP safe in defending it that I will not deny

2/6/13 11:18 PM
KneeToFaceKO

12SixElbow - 

This is why Hughes finished 8 of his 9 title "wins"

2/6/13 11:43 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatSmithsAnkle - Nice way to try and mentally approach it but not really practical in the real world. When you are the champ you know you are the champ. If you want to go out and win a new belt then go to a different weight class and attempt to do it...which is why I will always respect someone like Penn over Hughes any day.

He's saying that because the champ gets a new belt every time he wins as champion. And if you can apply something mentally, of course it's practical in the real world.
2/6/13 11:51 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Hughes. What's funny is back in the day he was criticized for being too conservative in the cage. So was Miletich. The Miletich camp was basically the old school equivalent of modern day Tri-Star - a camp with a lot of good fighters who were relatively conservative compared to other fighters of the day.

Hughes, Miletich and Sylvia were all criticized for being too conservative. However, compared to today's safety-focused pointfighters like GSP, Edgar, Guida, Fitch, etc, the Miletich team was pretty damn aggressive because the sport and the athletes still held truer to the sports fighting roots than their conservative counterparts do now. There was much less of a focus on just winning rounds. I'm pretty sure that between Hughes, Sylvia, and Miletich none of them had more than 2 wins in a row go to a decision even in title fights.
2/6/13 11:52 PM
Pessimist_Pete

Hughes is full of crap. Phone Post
2/6/13 11:52 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Harold_Howard -  I like how he mutilated animal genitals and threw them at people Phone Post

What else would you do with animal genitals? Pervert.
2/6/13 11:54 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still wish Hughes would've fought Fitch before retiring. I'm not sure about today, but even 3-4 years ago I think Hughes was still at a level where, with his skillset, would've been a bad matchup for Fitch.
2/6/13 11:59 PM
mofomike
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes is one of the great ones. Phone Post
2/7/13 12:03 AM
omlet de fromage

Chiron - I agree with Hughes. What's funny is back in the day he was criticized for being too conservative in the cage. So was Miletich. The Miletich camp was basically the old school equivalent of modern day Tri-Star - a camp with a lot of good fighters who were relatively conservative compared to other fighters of the day.

Hughes, Miletich and Sylvia were all criticized for being too conservative. However, compared to today's safety-focused pointfighters like GSP, Edgar, Guida, Fitch, etc, the Miletich team was pretty damn aggressive because the sport and the athletes still held truer to the sports fighting roots than their conservative counterparts do now. There was much less of a focus on just winning rounds. I'm pretty sure that between Hughes, Sylvia, and Miletich none of them had more than 2 wins in a row go to a decision even in title fights.
Sylvia's 2 defenses were decisions.

I'm just being a dick, I agree with what you're saying. Phone Post
2/7/13 12:25 AM
MMA Architect
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RileyPust -
Harold_Howard -  I like how he mutilated animal genitals and threw them at people Phone Post

What else would you do with animal genitals? Pervert.
Yes, what else?
(and show us... pics, drawings, etc) Phone Post
2/7/13 1:32 AM
PrettyBoy
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mofomike - Hughes is one of the great ones. Phone Post
QFT Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.