UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lamas 'dumbfounded' by Pettis vs. Aldo

2/6/13 11:26 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I'm pretty upset about it," Lamas told "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV. "I'm busting my ass, I put in all this work and I'm not being rewarded.

"I'm just a little dumbfounded by the whole situation."

The 30-year-old Lamas (15-2) is 4-0 since dropping down to featherweight in the UFC. His most recent win over top contender Erik Koch at UFC on FOX 6 came after wins against contenders Cub Swanson and Hatsu Hioki.

"I thought I already established I was the no. 1 contender. If Koch would have beaten me none of this would have happened."

read entire article...

2/6/13 11:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bisping KOd by CHRIST
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So perez is 100% getting the title shot?
2/6/13 11:32 PM
yellow c0ckahlc
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Koch would have beaten me none of this would have happened."

Uh yes, actually, it would have been the same result. Pettis would have still dropped Dana that text.

Stop crying already. No matter what, you're gonna have to keep winning, champion or not.

2/6/13 11:40 PM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Based on his comments alone he comes across like a guy who'd fight aldo trying not to lose instead of trying to win. Im so sick of these damn pansy whiney "fighters".....
2/6/13 11:42 PM
jragg32
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pettis has been screwed for a while now. He deserves it more Phone Post
2/6/13 11:46 PM
ChaosOverkill
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/06/13 11:46 PM

Think how Koch felt all last year. first losing his shot then ranking because of injuries. Did he bitch that he had to fight you to get a maybe on a title shot? I love Lamas style and wins but back up man, beat the Zombie in the meantime and solidify that shit.

2/6/13 11:48 PM
MTH
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand why the guy is upset, but it's not like this has never happened to anyone before. The UFC is a business.

On top of that, he's complaining about Pettis getting the shot--the very same Pettis who has been gouged out of a title shot in the past for a rematch of all things.

This is part of the road you walk on in the UFC. If he wins in the interim it'll be a non-issue . . . if he loses, well, then he'll be like Pettis.

Unfair or not, he's got to man up on this and not come off like a whiner. It could set up a great fight between him and Pettis. Phone Post
2/6/13 11:48 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
439 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is exactly what they did with Edgar and no one was crying about it. At least Pettis has a winning record. Phone Post
2/6/13 11:52 PM
CMX
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would rather see Pettis-Aldo and im sure 90% of the fans do to and Pettis has earned it Phone Post
2/6/13 11:59 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow c0ckahlc - 

Uh yes, actually, it would have been the same result. Pettis would have still dropped Dana that text.

Stop crying already. No matter what, you're gonna have to keep winning, champion or not.

Uh, you sure? You know Pettis and Koch are teammates, yeah?
2/7/13 12:01 AM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping KOd by CHRIST - Based on his comments alone he comes across like a guy who'd fight aldo trying not to lose instead of trying to win. Im so sick of these damn pansy whiney "fighters".....

Why dont you "base" your opinion on his fights alone (like the one he just acted in extreme violent fashion against Pettis' teammate Koch) and not so much his comments?
2/7/13 12:02 AM
Wasa-B

Im not complaining that Pettis is getting it, in fact, im excited like the rest. But Lamas is still the more deserving contender.
2/7/13 12:02 AM
Wasa-B

If Lamas fights Zombie, win or lose, im sure that will put his name on the map. His fight with Koch and win over Hioki should have already but whatever.
2/7/13 12:05 AM
Bipolar

Harold_Howard -  He must feel dumbfounded pretty frequently then Phone Post

Was basically thinking the same thing. He acts like the situation is totally absurd, which it is not. Pettis is also very deserving of a shot. He might not like it, and I can't blame him for that. But to not understand how it also makes a lot of sense for Aldo to take on Pettis and call it a 'dumbfounding' decision is silly and pretty ignorant.
2/7/13 12:09 AM
rufus

Edited: 02/07/13 12:10 AM
Wasa-B - Im not complaining that Pettis is getting it, in fact, im excited like the rest. But Lamas is still the more deserving contender.

Are they supposed to give fights to people who are more "deserving" or to people who will draw more viewers/PPV buys?

Your answer to this question will determine whether you know anything about running a business or not.

FYI - Before this guy beat Koch, I'd never heard of him.  While I'm not one of the basement-dwelling dorks on this site whose lives revolve around MMA, I certainly follow it more than the "casual" viewer.

2/7/13 12:14 AM
melancoholic
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TopGrinder -  No casual fans know lamas. Pettis is a much bigger name and a top contender. This fight makes much more sense.

Lamas is a geat fighter but he has to learn how to brand and market himself as he sucks shit at it... Phone Post

yeah.

inb4 noob 12er, but i actually only learned who lamas is after the aldo-pettis news :/
2/7/13 12:20 AM
JBASS
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jragg32 -  Pettis has been screwed for a while now. He deserves it more Phone Post

In his division for sure, but not at 145lb. It will be nearly 2 years by the time anyone from the FW division has had a shot at Aldo if the Aldo/Pettis fight happens. That's not accounting for injuries that may happen either, so it could potentially be even longer. 

I can see why Lamas is upset and I agree with it, the whole 145lb division should be pretty cut right now about it. What's the point of working your way to the top of a division if people from another division are getting a shot at the champ? Lamas may as well ask for a shot at Barao and cut the weight if that's how it works. 

2/7/13 12:22 AM
KingNeptune
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lamas was being out struck by Swanson before he caught him in the choke. Aldo would destroy him!! I honestly think Swanson has a better shot at Aldo. His striking is top notch. Definitely a different outcome than their WEC fight. Phone Post
2/7/13 12:23 AM
JBASS
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
melancoholic - 
TopGrinder -  No casual fans know lamas. Pettis is a much bigger name and a top contender. This fight makes much more sense.

Lamas is a geat fighter but he has to learn how to brand and market himself as he sucks shit at it... Phone Post

yeah.

inb4 noob 12er, but i actually only learned who lamas is after the aldo-pettis news :/

How is a guy ever supposed to become known if the UFC won't give them big fights or promote them?  They say Chaels a huge draw, but it's because of the first Anderson fight.  They say Edgar is a big name but he wasn't before the first BJ fight.  Pettis became known because he beat Bendo for the title.  Guys like Lamas become big name fighters when they get title shots they legitimately earned and then do big things when given the opportunity.  Until that opportunity, it won't happen.

IMO, beating the former #1 contender in the FW division is about as big as you can go without actually fighting the champion. Can't ask for more really. 

2/7/13 12:24 AM
Doc T
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pettis vs aldo is a money fight. Anyone who knows anything about mma knows the potential of this fight. Phone Post
2/7/13 12:24 AM
The Ghost of Eatonbeever
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lamas is a no name to the casual fan. And I think aldo would destroy him with leg kicks. The Pettis fight is way better IMO Phone Post
2/7/13 12:29 AM
Wasa-B

rufus - 
Wasa-B - Im not complaining that Pettis is getting it, in fact, im excited like the rest. But Lamas is still the more deserving contender.

Are they supposed to give fights to people who are more "deserving" or to people who will draw more viewers/PPV buys?

Your answer to this question will determine whether you know anything about running a business or not.

FYI - Before this guy beat Koch, I'd never heard of him.  While I'm not one of the basement-dwelling dorks on this site whose lives revolve around MMA, I certainly follow it more than the "casual" viewer.

"Are they supposed to give fights to people who are more "deserving" or to people who will draw more viewers/PPV buys?"

They should balance both. Without the draws, they wont get casual viewers like you. Without the deserving title shots, its not a sport, its sports entertaining.

"Your answer to this question will determine whether you know anything about running a business or not."

Having some sense of legitimacy or integrity towards the thing that you do business in or displaying some sort of merit in determining title shots in a sport is never a bad thing. Again, its not the only thing but to ignore it completely which would be to ignore the sport's real fans (even if smaller in number) would show a lack of business experience as well.

"Before this guy beat Koch, I'd never heard of him."

"FYI - Before this guy beat Koch, I'd never heard of him. While I'm not one of the basement-dwelling dorks on this site whose lives revolve around MMA, I certainly follow it more than the "casual" viewer."

Nah, id say that makes you a legit casual viewer.

Myself, I dwell but not in basements. Good looking and athletic but also bit dorky.
2/7/13 12:30 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
yellow c0ckahlc - 

Uh, you sure? You know Pettis and Koch are teammates, yeah?

Not anymore.

CHICAGO – Following Aldo's decision victory over Edgar at UFC 156, Dana would recieve a text that would shock everyone: Anthony Pettis wanted to fight Aldo for his belt. 

Lamas brutalized former top contender Erik Koch with a nasty barrage of ground-and-pound blows that earned him a second-round TKO. Following the victory, many believe Lamas to be the next contender to Aldo's belt, but unfortunately, he'll have to wait.

"Pettis is fighting Aldo next," said Dana White. "We're doing that fight for sure, August 3rd."

Following the news, we learned early Wednesday afternoon that Pettis has left Roufusport, and is now headed to train at AKA. 

"Koch had a problem with me asking, so I said whatever, man, you got f***ed up, I didn't." Pettis explained. "Oh well, you know. Maybe I'll be back, but for now, I'm taking what's mine."

Continue reading at...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/anthony-pettis-face-featherweight-champ-jose-aldo-leaves-roufusport-164906707--mma.html

2/7/13 12:31 AM
orcus

"No casual fans know lamas. "

Nevermind casual fans. I don't know who he is. Literally. His fights were on Fuel (Comcast doesn't carry it), Facebook (didn't watch), and then on that last Fuel show -- I honestly have no idea how I missed that one; I thought I watched the whole card.

As far as I know I have never seen him fight or heard his name until people started complaining about Pettis getting a shot.

2/7/13 12:34 AM
MMArijuana

Edited: 02/07/13 12:35 AM
Never mind

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.