UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lamas 'dumbfounded' by Pettis vs. Aldo

2/7/13 12:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Ghost of Eatonbeever
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
The Ghost of Eatonbeever -  Lamas is a no name to the casual fan. And I think aldo would destroy him with leg kicks. The Pettis fight is way better IMO Phone Post

So who do you suggest he fight to become a big name then?  He's already beat Koch, Swanson, and Hioki.

It's not really a case of who he fights, I would rather they be him some ppv fights or higher up on a fox card so people know who he is. Phone Post
2/7/13 12:38 AM
MMArijuana
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow c0ckahlc - 
Wasa-B - 
yellow c0ckahlc - 

If Koch would have beaten me none of this would have happened."

Uh yes, actually, it would have been the same result. Pettis would have still dropped Dana that text.

Stop crying already. No matter what, you're gonna have to keep winning, champion or not.

Uh, you sure? You know Pettis and Koch are teammates, yeah?

Not anymore.

CHICAGO – Following Aldo's decision victory over Edgar at UFC 156, Dana would recieve a text that would shock everyone: Anthony Pettis wanted to fight Aldo for his belt. 

Lamas brutalized former top contender Erik Koch with a nasty barrage of ground-and-pound blows that earned him a second-round TKO. Following the victory, many believe Lamas to be the next contender to Aldo's belt, but unfortunately, he'll have to wait.

"Pettis is fighting Aldo next," said Dana White. "We're doing that fight for sure, August 3rd."

Following the news, we learned early Wednesday afternoon that Pettis has left Roufusport, and is now headed to train at AKA. 

"Koch had a problem with me asking, so I said whatever, man, you got f***ed up, I didn't." Pettis explained. "Oh well, you know. Maybe I'll be back, but for now, I'm taking what's mine."

Continue reading at...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/anthony-pettis-face-featherweight-champ-jose-aldo-leaves-roufusport-164906707--mma.html

That's fucking stupid, dude. Stop your trolling bullshit.
2/7/13 12:38 AM
MMArijuana

Edited: 02/07/13 12:38 AM
But no, Pettis would not have asked if Koch would've won.
2/7/13 12:43 AM
Wasa-B
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

"No casual fans know lamas. "

Nevermind casual fans. I don't know who he is. Literally. His fights were on Fuel (Comcast doesn't carry it), Facebook (didn't watch), and then on that last Fuel show -- I honestly have no idea how I missed that one; I thought I watched the whole card.

As far as I know I have never seen him fight or heard his name until people started complaining about Pettis getting a shot.

homie, i disappoint.

Koch/Lamas was a big contender fight and turned out to be a destruction though Koch looked pretty good until esp considering koch's long layoff but it was overshadowed by the other main card fights. And Lamas beat Hioki.

All the Fox/Fuel cards are on regular cable packages in Canada. ;p
2/7/13 12:44 AM
yellow c0ckahlc

MMArijuana - 
yellow c0ckahlc - 
Wasa-B - 
yellow c0ckahlc - 

Uh yes, actually, it would have been the same result. Pettis would have still dropped Dana that text.

Stop crying already. No matter what, you're gonna have to keep winning, champion or not.

Not anymore.

CHICAGO – Following Aldo's decision victory over Edgar at UFC 156, Dana would recieve a text that would shock everyone: Anthony Pettis wanted to fight Aldo for his belt. 

Lamas brutalized former top contender Erik Koch with a nasty barrage of ground-and-pound blows that earned him a second-round TKO. Following the victory, many believe Lamas to be the next contender to Aldo's belt, but unfortunately, he'll have to wait.

"Pettis is fighting Aldo next," said Dana White. "We're doing that fight for sure, August 3rd."

Following the news, we learned early Wednesday afternoon that Pettis has left Roufusport, and is now headed to train at AKA. 

"Koch had a problem with me asking, so I said whatever, man, you got f***ed up, I didn't." Pettis explained. "Oh well, you know. Maybe I'll be back, but for now, I'm taking what's mine."

Continue reading at...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/anthony-pettis-face-featherweight-champ-jose-aldo-leaves-roufusport-164906707--mma.html

lmfao got 'em.

Why u mad doe?

2/7/13 12:45 AM
Barbasol
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
The Ghost of Eatonbeever -  Lamas is a no name to the casual fan. And I think aldo would destroy him with leg kicks. The Pettis fight is way better IMO Phone Post

So who do you suggest he fight to become a big name then?  He's already beat Koch, Swanson, and Hioki.

He fights whoever. NAME was the word, you have to sale a main event on PPV. Think outside of here. The UG can't be more than 20% PPV buys. Phone Post
2/7/13 12:49 AM
Wasa-B
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barbasol - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

He fights whoever. NAME was the word, you have to sale a main event on PPV. Think outside of here. The UG can't be more than 20% PPV buys. Phone Post

However, Hioki was #2 not too long ago and Koch was also lined up for a title shot and Lamas didnt exactly eek out a "points win" there.

2/7/13 12:50 AM
Mihow
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rufus - 
Wasa-B - Im not complaining that Pettis is getting it, in fact, im excited like the rest. But Lamas is still the more deserving contender.

Are they supposed to give fights to people who are more "deserving" or to people who will draw more viewers/PPV buys?

Your answer to this question will determine whether you know anything about running a business or not.

FYI - Before this guy beat Koch, I'd never heard of him.  While I'm not one of the basement-dwelling dorks on this site whose lives revolve around MMA, I certainly follow it more than the "casual" viewer.

lol

none of us should give a fuck about Zuffa's business

as a fan, Aldo Pettis sounds great, as a sport Lamas should get the shot

so the Q should be fan v sport-dom, not business. Zuffa can stick to business, they are doing fine
2/7/13 12:53 AM
rufus
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mihow - 
rufus - 
Wasa-B - Im not complaining that Pettis is getting it, in fact, im excited like the rest. But Lamas is still the more deserving contender.

Are they supposed to give fights to people who are more "deserving" or to people who will draw more viewers/PPV buys?

Your answer to this question will determine whether you know anything about running a business or not.

FYI - Before this guy beat Koch, I'd never heard of him.  While I'm not one of the basement-dwelling dorks on this site whose lives revolve around MMA, I certainly follow it more than the "casual" viewer.

lol

so the Q should be fan v sport-dom, not business. Zuffa can stick to business, they are doing fine

And....THAT"S why you don't run a business.

2/7/13 12:58 AM
JBASS
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rufus - 
Mihow - 
rufus - 

lol

And....THAT"S why you don't run a business.

Mihow actually has a point. Having run businesses myself, I know that giving the customer exactly what they want all the time is not always the best way to stay in business. 

Also if the UFC is trying to continue legitamizing the sport, they should be giving the title shot to the person who statistically deserves it - not the person who will make them the most money.

2/7/13 1:01 AM
orcus

Wasa-B - 
orcus - 

"No casual fans know lamas. "

Nevermind casual fans. I don't know who he is. Literally. His fights were on Fuel (Comcast doesn't carry it), Facebook (didn't watch), and then on that last Fuel show -- I honestly have no idea how I missed that one; I thought I watched the whole card.

As far as I know I have never seen him fight or heard his name until people started complaining about Pettis getting a shot.

homie, i disappoint.

Koch/Lamas was a big contender fight and turned out to be a destruction though Koch looked pretty good until esp considering koch's long layoff but it was overshadowed by the other main card fights. And Lamas beat Hioki.

All the Fox/Fuel cards are on regular cable packages in Canada. ;p

I seriously have no idea how I possibly could have missed that fight. I watched the show live and certainly saw the other three. It's baffling.

2/7/13 1:07 AM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is nothing knew. It is about marketing and not actual fighting. Sonnen proves that. We a new UFC champ that is getting tons of press and has never even fought I fight in the UFC.
2/7/13 1:08 AM
unfilter
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow c0ckahlc - 
MMArijuana - 
yellow c0ckahlc - 
Wasa-B - 
yellow c0ckahlc - 

Not anymore.

Continue reading at...

lmfao got 'em.

Why u mad doe?

2/7/13 1:54 AM
Size

Chulio - It is nothing knew. It is about marketing and not actual fighting. Sonnen proves that. We a new UFC champ that is getting tons of press and has never even fought I fight in the UFC.

Do you really think Lamas would beat Pettis?
2/7/13 3:33 AM
IsmokeCrack

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

Don't blame him one bit.  BS that the UFC just screws these guys over like this.

It's not BS. I'd rather see Showtime v Aldo than some dude I never hear of.

I'm an elitist. I like watching champs or people who fight the champ. Otherwise people really established as exciting, go for the kill, fight with heart, and the highest levels. Showtime is proven WAAAY more in my eyes than the guy I never heard of. (no disrespect).

I'd stream Aldo v Pettis. Maybe watch it at a bar. Aldo v Guy as main event on FX/whatever card says enough. Unless there was someone i really liked, I wouldn't even download the torrent.

I'd be just as fine reading about it on the UG and watching the hL on gifs, and I'm the biggest, most passionate, dedicated, oldest fan of mma I know.

It's kinda makes me sad really. I wish Pride would have won. :( Phone Post
2/7/13 3:34 AM
IsmokeCrack

Sorry for frat and post that doesn't make sense. I'm very high and drunk. Phone Post
2/7/13 3:34 AM
IsmokeCrack

And I just watch pride opening round Phone Post
2/7/13 4:53 AM
CherryHugger

yellow c0ckahlc - 

No
2/7/13 6:20 AM
Fight! UK Online
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lamas has dodged a bullet, he's tailor made for Aldo! If he keeps getting good wins he'll get the next shot, simple.

2/7/13 6:28 AM
ausgepicht

Feel bad for him. While he's correct, they are going to go with the more marketable fight that will sell more tickets. He'll have to go the Liddell route....keep smashing until they can't ignore you any longer. Phone Post
2/7/13 7:50 AM
ausgepicht

Willy the Coyote -  Why do people want to act like Pettis is a big name all of a sudden? I told a few of my friends who are casual fans that he's fighting Aldo, and all but one had no idea who he is. The only one who did said, " The guy who lost to Guida?' Phone Post

BiggER.

2/7/13 8:00 AM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think 125-145 needs to be marketed better so casual fans know who these guys are. If I recall his last fight was a prelim, as well was Chad's fight before facing Aldo. Just needs better marketing, but guess Womens 135 needs it more. Phone Post
2/7/13 8:13 AM
lifeaftrprison
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When will these guys realize this is entertainment and winning alone is not enough. You need PR, endorsements , exposure etc. He has done very little to promote his brand which is his downfall. This is business first , competition last. Phone Post
2/7/13 9:23 AM
ausgepicht

Edited: 02/07/13 9:26 AM
Heel Hooker - should be pissed. Was told he'd be next and then PEttis says he'll drop and all of a sudden Lamas is the odd man out? I'm sure Dana will make it right $$ but still it sucks.

I hope Pettis doesn't make weight.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I missed that he was told he'd be next. Link?

This is all I could find: "UFC President Dana White would not say whether or not Lamas would be next in line for the belt, but he did mention he liked Lamas’ desire for a title fight. "

http://www.rantsports.com/mma/2013/01/27/ricardo-lamas-should-face-korean-zombie-to-determine-featherweight-contender/#ZfjvqWtftBGY4OhS.99

2/7/13 10:24 AM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Size - 
Chulio - It is nothing knew. It is about marketing and not actual fighting. Sonnen proves that. We a new UFC champ that is getting tons of press and has never even fought I fight in the UFC.

Do you really think Lamas would beat Pettis?

No I don't

I'm from Milwaukee and look forward to the fight. I was just making a point about how the UFC works.
It should not just be about stats or hype but a balance.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.