UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lamas 'dumbfounded' by Pettis vs. Aldo

2/7/13 10:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OCMikelob
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know Lamas is on a very good streak, but no one even knows who the fuck he is. How does he expect to sell a title fight? Phone Post
2/7/13 11:13 AM
kevsh
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So basically fighters should now hire PR firms, because clearly it's becoming how popular you are not whether you deserve it or not.

Pettis should have been told that he has the next shot at LW if he wants it. If he drops down he has to get in line. Frankie should have had to done the same thing but at least in his case he was an ex-champ and there was lots of demand to see him vs. Aldo.
2/7/13 11:17 AM
Infamous Ed
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kz has just as much claim as lamas. IMO beating poirer > ring rusted Koch Phone Post
2/7/13 11:18 AM
unfilter
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i feel for the dude, he's just getting some momentum and then gets his stream cut off mid flow.

but its also an opportunity to take some time off, build a name and hype a fight with KZ who he'd have to fight anyway.  he'll get a good payday and hopefully brand himself a little.

of course i could be rationalizing a bit just 'cuz an aldo/pettis fight just sounds so fucking good.

2/7/13 11:38 AM
Got MMAlk

Heel Hooker - should be pissed. Was told he'd be next and then PEttis says he'll drop and all of a sudden Lamas is the odd man out? I'm sure Dana will make it right $$ but still it sucks.

I hope Pettis doesn't make weight.
He told Ariel on the MMA hour that he only cuts two pounds to make 155. I doubt he will have trouble making weight. Phone Post
2/7/13 1:47 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jweinberg -
Willy the Coyote - Why do people want to act like Pettis is a big name all of a sudden? I told a few of my friends who are casual fans that he's fighting Aldo, and all but one had no idea who he is. The only one who did said, " The guy who lost to Guida?' Phone Post
Bullshit Phone Post
No it's true.

Pettis to many is "that guy who did the kick off the cage" from ESPN highlights.

No one knew Anthony Pettis.

They knew "matrix kick", "cage kick", etc.

Pettis has superstar skills but has yet to be marketed as a superstar so this fight won't sell based on name alone.

Even Aldo isn't a name as much as he should be.

Dana going the Oprah route and putting his Vic Mackey mug on everything while not prompting the FIGHTERS is why we haven't replaced Chuck, Randy, Ken, Tito or Brock in the eyes of fans who used to know guys by NAME.

They've sold the brand well but with interchangeable pieces instead of mighty cogs. Phone Post
2/7/13 2:58 PM
xakx

kevsh - So basically fighters should now hire PR firms, because clearly it's becoming how popular you are not whether you deserve it or not.

Pettis should have been told that he has the next shot at LW if he wants it. If he drops down he has to get in line. Frankie should have had to done the same thing but at least in his case he was an ex-champ and there was lots of demand to see him vs. Aldo.

"So basically fighters should now hire PR firms, because clearly it's becoming how popular you are not whether you deserve it or not."

It has always been like that. Brock was a prime example, after that whole situation I gave up on UFC.

ttt for more ownage by Wasa-B, well done.
2/7/13 2:59 PM
xakx

...oh and by the way, Lamas would destroy Pettis, Aldo and anyone else you put in his way.
2/7/13 8:46 PM
Phuck Phace
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only one thing for Lamas to do. Pack on 10 lbs and challenge Bendo vs Melendez winner.

That'll get Pettis's attention. Phone Post
2/7/13 8:57 PM
grafzep
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shame on me I guess but I have no memory of this guy until the Koch fight and Im the furthest thing from a casual fan.

That Koch fight was great and it really got my attention because I was pretty familiar with him and thought he was a killer. Lamas put himself on the map with that fight no doubt but a title shot after 4 fights? I think he needs to put some more work in whether I take note of him or not.
2/7/13 9:07 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rufus - 
Mihow - 
rufus - 
Wasa-B - Im not complaining that Pettis is getting it, in fact, im excited like the rest. But Lamas is still the more deserving contender.

Are they supposed to give fights to people who are more "deserving" or to people who will draw more viewers/PPV buys?

Your answer to this question will determine whether you know anything about running a business or not.

FYI - Before this guy beat Koch, I'd never heard of him.  While I'm not one of the basement-dwelling dorks on this site whose lives revolve around MMA, I certainly follow it more than the "casual" viewer.

lol

none of us should give a fuck about Zuffa's business

as a fan, Aldo Pettis sounds great, as a sport Lamas should get the shot

so the Q should be fan v sport-dom, not business. Zuffa can stick to business, they are doing fine

And....THAT"S why you don't run a business.

Would u wanna-be Dana's just stfu about "business" already? You don't run Zuffa either nor do u sound like you run any business. You just sound like another ug'er who thinks they can help Zuffa with their business model. Just stick to giving your fan input.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.