UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Best season of TUF ever?

2/7/13 3:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Emphatik
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to say yes.

There has been a really notable shift in the presentation.
The introduction for the first couple of minutes of the first episode caught me immediately. After years of them all blending one into another, and sensationalist 'look at what crazy thing happens in the house' clips, all of a sudden there is Chael and Bones speaking intelligently and eloquently about the sport and the unique challenges of being in the house and fighting numerous times in such a short period of time.

Instantly, my interest was caught and I thought, wow, they might finally be doing a mature, fight and training focussed version of the show.

Then they bring in the family and allow you to identify with each fighters story by their relationships and history rather than stupid pranks and drunk shennanigans. Another tick in the win column.

None of that would have mattered if the next couple of episodes were nothing but trashing of the house, shit talk and boring fights.

Instead we get Chael and Bones speaking respectfully to each other, great coaching footage, including Chael's excellent speach to Uriah, and guys handling themselves with class and dignity, epsecially in the ring after that last fight. More positives racking up.

Then to top it all off, we have been blessed with some amazing fights, including a historic KO.

I, like many others had certainly tired of the TUF series. The start to this season has really won me back.
I really hope it continues in this same fashion all season.
2/7/13 3:35 AM
HolyHackZack
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought rabbit ears for my TV to watch UFC on Fox and reruns of TUF. I'm watching commercials and shit, being a good consumer, they got me. The last season I watched was the one where I thought Hamill won, after missing the end of the season. Upon learning Bisping won I never watched again...
2/7/13 3:38 AM
Bucephalus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like how this is filmed... Best film production to date. Solid fights don't hurt either...
2/7/13 3:42 AM
Macbody

Production values and storytelling is more tight. I really get the sense that these guys in the house are fighters and not reality-tv-stars-wannabes.

So kudos to the UFC and Fox for the revamp!

The quality of fighters appears to be better too. In a year or so 185 is gonna be a battle-ground even though Cella might need to consider 170.... Phone Post
2/7/13 3:45 AM
GoldMedaLInTapping(R)

All hael Chael! He's the fucking man! Phone Post
2/7/13 3:48 AM
JBASS
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macbody -  Production values and storytelling is more tight. I really get the sense that these guys in the house are fighters and not reality-tv-stars-wannabes.

The quality of fighters appears to be better too. In a year or so 185 is gonna be a battle-ground even though Cella might need to consider 170.... Phone Post

Agree with you there, I was starting to get annoyed with the bounces between LW and WW. People speak of a 'feeder league' for the UFC and it was my understanding that TUF was supposed to do that. 

Would love to see LHW or HW TUF again. 

2/7/13 3:48 AM
Arecsa
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent season so far. Improved production values and actual talented fighters over drunks douchebags has fixed the show? Who would have thought that? Oh yeah - tons of people have been asking this for years now. About fucking time they finally got it together, it wasn't hard.
2/7/13 3:50 AM
Emphatik
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macbody -  Production values and storytelling is more tight. I really get the sense that these guys in the house are fighters and not reality-tv-stars-wannabes.

Definitely.

I know its early days, and there's plenty of time for things to go downhill, but I get the feeling the producers really want it to be 'sport and legitimate athletes' not 'tattoos, dyed mohawks and drunken idiocy with the occasional shitty fight'

Its the right direction IMO
2/7/13 3:54 AM
Emphatik

Arecsa - Excellent season so far. Improved production values and actual talented fighters over drunks douchebags has fixed the show? Who would have thought that? Oh yeah - tons of people have been asking this for years now. About fucking time they finally got it together, it wasn't hard.

Yep, many of us were asking for this years ago.

Makes me think that UFC was for it but Spike was determined to keep rehashing the tired old shit assuming all their viewers are drunk frat boy douches.

Doesn't fill me with anticipation for their new shows.
2/7/13 4:24 AM
shaqitup
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Emphatik - 
Arecsa - Excellent season so far. Improved production values and actual talented fighters over drunks douchebags has fixed the show? Who would have thought that? Oh yeah - tons of people have been asking this for years now. About fucking time they finally got it together, it wasn't hard.

Yep, many of us were asking for this years ago.

Makes me think that UFC was for it but Spike was determined to keep rehashing the tired old shit assuming all their viewers are drunk frat boy douches.

Doesn't fill me with anticipation for their new shows.

You do realize they had julian Lane last year right? He's probably the best example of what you guys are talking about, maybe besides junie browning, but he was just straight up crazy.

2/7/13 4:57 AM
Emphatik

I'm not sure what that has top do with the changes implemented this season?
2/7/13 4:59 AM
CherryHugger

TUF 14 was really good
2/7/13 5:32 AM
Geoffy
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definatly oné of the best season so far... which makes me wounder why the previous sessions were so poor.

Even the guys trying to get into the house were better then most of the last seasons. All of a sudden they found good fighters this season ... just strange
2/7/13 6:18 AM
Letibleu
1693 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like this one..... its............ watchable

2/7/13 6:46 AM
ASBELTOMATO
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/08/13 3:22 AM
pilgrim has done a great job through the years with TUF, and they do find a way to make the reality in the house entertaining. i like this new direction TUF has taken, although i wish they would use a slower shutter speed on the fights, as it is hard to watch with the Saving Private Ryan quick shutter. the guy throws a punch and you get a couple snapshots of his arm moving.

i like the lighting in the interviews though, and this new look has given the show more pizazz. i hope cutting out the assinine guy on the show each season keeps the ratings, and since TUF is probably the easiest way to reach out to a new MMA audience, maybe raising the level of the fighter's behavior will improve the perception of MMA to the general public.
2/7/13 6:49 AM
scarfacedave
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's ok.

Best ever? Maybe compared to the absolute shitfests of the last 7 seasons.

Also, I love how Dana is so focused on "legendary trash" talk for every season and it never materializes..

I still think seasons 1 and 5 were the best seasons ever produced and featured the best fighters.
2/7/13 7:19 AM
Caught_clean
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta remember we are only 3 episodes in and a episode of pawn stars had more talent then last year.
2/7/13 2:11 PM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUF 1 will never be touched but this is the best season in a while.
2/7/13 2:24 PM
Shoebert

I hated the team challenges on TUF 1. Its a fight sport, not a carry coaches sitting on chairs through the water sport. I am not one for all the drama in the house.

TUF 1 had some good fights, and Diego Sanchez cartwheeling yelling "YES!". Phone Post
2/7/13 2:28 PM
DiscipleDojo
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder

TUF 2 was much better than TUF 1 due to lack of Willa Ford and less ridiculous "challenges" (though there were still some silly ones). TUF 4 was my favorite season due to the number of guest coaches and the personalities of the cast.

But this season is by FAR the best-produced, least-douchiest season. It's like an actual sports documentary so far! Well done, UFC!

2/7/13 4:05 PM
Emphatik

DiscipleDojo - 

TUF 2 was much better than TUF 1 due to lack of Willa Ford and less ridiculous "challenges" (though there were still some silly ones). TUF 4 was my favorite season due to the number of guest coaches and the personalities of the cast.

But this season is by FAR the best-produced, least-douchiest season. It's like an actual sports documentary so far! Well done, UFC!

yeah this is exactly what I was trying to get at with the original post.

Some great talent came out of the first couple of seasons, but the challenges, house drama stupidity and general production value was pretty terrible.
2/7/13 4:07 PM
awesomestprime
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't watched it in years. The last one I watched had mac danzig on it. But I've been watching this one.

It seems better then it was for sure.
2/7/13 4:42 PM
Mister Collins
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Attila - TUF 1 will never be touched but this is the best season in a while.

Agreed.
2/7/13 4:45 PM
RickStorm
1880 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin
Attila - TUF 1 will never be touched but this is the best season in a while.

IMO 2

2/7/13 4:49 PM
DMCA18
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shoebert -  I hated the team challenges on TUF 1. Its a fight sport, not a carry coaches sitting on chairs through the water sport. I am not one for all the drama in the house.

TUF 1 had some good fights, and Diego Sanchez cartwheeling yelling "YES!". Phone Post

Diego did his yoga junk in the yard but the magic that was his "YES" cartwheels didn't show itself until his primetime special leading up to BJ splitting his head open.

Season 5 had some great fights and trash talk between Jens and BJ and we got Jlau, Cole Miller, Matt Wiman, Nate Diaz, Gray Maynard and Manny Gamburyan.

Stand and Wang, Colonic & cake... Good times.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.