UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Agility Ladders Crossover To MMA/BOXING?

2/7/13 4:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
blacksamurai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No Rhodes scholar here, but how well does agility ladders crossover to MMA and other combat sports? I can imagine the crossover to bat and ball sports, but to Combat sports not convinced... I saw Ben Henderson use it, and i think Martin Rooney the Miller brothers personal trainer advocates the use thats about it off the top of my head.. Good ole jump rope makes more sense, and more functional for Combat sports bouncing up and down on the toes??? Give me a reason to invest in one Ben Henderson is a bad example cause he would be agile without it imho... Phone Post
2/7/13 7:23 AM
LiftStrong
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like ladder drills for activation and getting the mind body connection going at the start of a training session. I dont think that there is much (if any) crossover to any sports (including combat). Doing a lot of agility ladder drills will help you get good at doing agility ladder drills.
2/7/13 12:39 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's probably a decent warm-up, but not necessary.
2/7/13 2:27 PM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I dont think that there is much (if any) crossover to any sports (including combat). Doing a lot of agility ladder drills will help you get good at doing agility ladder drills." <---YES!

TAKU

2/7/13 5:35 PM
Leigh
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm quite good on my agility ladder. Taku said a few years ago he doesn't think it has much carry over. I think he was right Phone Post
2/8/13 12:01 AM
SidRon
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am actually more interested in the converse. I compete in agility ladder matches and I was wondering if MMA training would increase my performance in agility ladder competitions. I noticed that alot of MMA guys seem to be pretty good on the agility ladder so I am thinking that there msut be some carry over. Thoughts?
2/8/13 2:40 AM
Leigh
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only in as much as being athletic makes most things easier. If want to be better with the ladder, practise the ladder Phone Post
2/8/13 2:53 AM
UnbreakableT
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

don't you guys think that they are good balance tools. when your in boxing or mma and your trying to move side to side and in and out, I always thought that those helped you keep your feet centered under you at all times and balanced. idk though maybe i'm just trying to justify all the time I spend dancing on those things.
2/8/13 3:13 AM
NeoSpartan
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SidRon - I am actually more interested in the converse. I compete in agility ladder matches and I was wondering if MMA training would increase my performance in agility ladder competitions. I noticed that alot of MMA guys seem to be pretty good on the agility ladder so I am thinking that there msut be some carry over. Thoughts?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
I will vote you up when this shit resets
2/8/13 12:20 PM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. SidRon, is joking...but makes an excellent point about carryover of drills etc. 

2. UnbreakableT, No, they do not help with boxing footwork. Yes, you are just trying to justify all the time you have spent. To imporove boxing foot work, do more boxing footwork.

TAKU

2/8/13 4:35 PM
HULC
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UnbreakableT - don't you guys think that they are good balance tools. when your in boxing or mma and your trying to move side to side and in and out, I always thought that those helped you keep your feet centered under you at all times and balanced. idk though maybe i'm just trying to justify all the time I spend dancing on those things.

UnbreakableT, when you watch a boxing match how often do you see fighters moving their feet like they would if they were doing agility ladders? I'm guessing it's close to zero.
2/13/13 4:34 PM
DaddyO4
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like them as a warmup,mind/body connection as Liftstrong said.
2/13/13 6:39 PM
Taku

I think ladders are okay as a warm-up, cool-dwon, possible conditioning tool. But...as has already been addressed, unless your goal s to be the worlds best ladder guy, not other benefit.

TAKU

2/15/13 8:36 AM
Wiggy

To imporove boxing foot work, do more boxing footwork.

Aaaaannnnddddd there you go.

/end thread

3/2/13 11:52 AM
m.g
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Logically, as stated several times on this thread, the best way to improve boxing footwork is to do boxing footwork.

I do agree with Taku that ladder drills do have value in regards to warm-up, cool down, etc.

However, even in that regard, I think jump roping offers the same or even more benefit then ladder drills. In other words instead doing ladder drills try jumping rope.

Incidently, and this may be controversal, but I don't think jumping rope improves one footwork for boxing either BUT it is an excellent warm up, cool down and conditioning tool for boxing and is better than ladder drills.
3/3/13 11:27 PM
Taku

Here is a post from my blog answering a similar question:

http://tinyurl.com/cgorxrt

TAKU

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.