UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Couture: DFW sees Viacom as a threat

2/7/13 8:52 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Randy Couture was interviewed Wednesday on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show about his recent move to Bellator and the controversy around it.

On communication with UFC president Dana White:
“I had some rather interesting and classic texts that came to my phone. This was kind of a couple weeks ago when things started leaking.”

On White saying he was happy Couture is gone:
“I’m happy to not have to put up with and keep my mouth shut and deal with Dana as well. It goes both ways. I have a ton of respect for the UFC. In a lot of ways, I still have respect for Dana and the passion that he has for the sport and the things that him and Lorenzo have managed to do for the sport over the course of their tenure since 2000... certainly there’s plenty of things I don’t agree with.”

On Viacom owning Spike TV and Bellator:

"At the end of the day, they’ve never shied away from competition and I think that’s what’s got them on their heels a little bit now and Dana especially, is that I think they see Viacom and this whole platform as a threat and serious competition to them being considered the only brand in the marketplace in this sport.”

On the role of a coach:
“The coaches that I’ve had in my life have been in a lot of ways that standup male figure that I lacked. Having a father that was never around, those were the guys that I turned to. They guided me. They shaped and molded me in a lot of ways, so I have a ton of respect for that position and that title.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview... (2:55:30 mark)

2/7/13 9:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couture: DFW sees Cuban as a threat

2/7/13 9:11 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

Couture: DFW sees Affliction as a threat

2/7/13 9:11 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

Frank Sham: DFW sees IFL as a threat

2/7/13 9:12 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

Rampage: DFW sees new WFA as a threat

2/7/13 9:14 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra-Raaaannnnnnnndy!
2/7/13 9:15 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

Liquidrob: DFW sees Bellator as a threat

2/7/13 9:19 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - 

Liquidrob: DFW sees Bellator as a threat

2/7/13 9:20 AM
stonepony

Pride, Affliction, SF. etc. etc. Some people are kidding themselves about just exactly how much Viacom is going to be willing to throw down a hole. Yes, they have a huge ocean of capital. Why? Because they make smart bets.
2/7/13 9:42 AM
cheesesteak
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's different this time with Bellator. After all its that whole spike demographic that lifted the UFC out of obscurity. Let's put it this way all my casual mma friends ask me if I'm watching bellator the last few times it was on. They never ask me if i'm watching the UFC... What that means? I'm not sure...But take it for what it's worth.
2/7/13 9:47 AM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spike is handling Bellator, not Viacom as a whole. It is like saying Viacom is backing TNA wrestling.

Spike, as a part of Viacom, gets a budget and spends part of that money on Bellator.

Being a part of the Viacom family certainly gives Bellator opportunities it would not otherwise have, but they are not being backed by the entire company.
2/7/13 9:53 AM
B_Goetz

Zuffa clearly did see those other organizations as a threat, and responded to the threat by buying them out. That's not going to happen with Bellator.

Viacom fully understands that it will probably be years until they see profitability, and they have demonstrated that they're prepared to do that in order to carve out a piece of the billion dollar industry.
2/7/13 9:58 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

After all its that whole spike demographic that lifted the UFC out of obscurity.

It was the UFC demographic that lifted Spike out of obscurity.

Nobody watched the UFC because it was on Spike, they watched Spike because the UFC was on it.

2/7/13 10:03 AM
hendofanforlife
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After all its that whole spike demographic that lifted the UFC out of obscurity.

Nobody watched the UFC because it was on Spike, they watched Spike because the UFC was on it.

Lol. I think you mean TNN, the Nashville Network.

2/7/13 10:05 AM
hendofanforlife
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lynchman - Spike is handling Bellator, not Viacom as a whole. It is like saying Viacom is backing TNA wrestling.

Spike, as a part of Viacom, gets a budget and spends part of that money on Bellator.

Being a part of the Viacom family certainly gives Bellator opportunities it would not otherwise have, but they are not being backed by the entire company.

Lol, say what? Next you're going to tell us UFC on fx fuel and fox tv is all handled independent of each other.
2/7/13 10:16 AM
jaydub

I know better to never say never but I don't ever see Bellator competing with the UFC.
2/7/13 11:57 AM
SJBenoist
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA isn't anywhere near big enough for Viacom to get behind as a whole company.

Seriously guys, even if the whole pie is worth 1$ Billion, that's still less than a third of what Viacom was buying a single cable-only channel for (BET) 13 years ago.

They had a single stake sell for 240$ Billion in July.

It's a big deal to Spike. It's a big deal to Bellator. It could be a big deal to Zuffa.

The sport is not a big deal to Viacom.
2/7/13 12:08 PM
tylerthebear
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hendofanforlife -

Lol. I think you mean TNN, the Nashville Network.

I see what u did there Phone Post
2/7/13 12:12 PM
nofatchicks

SJBenoist - MMA isn't anywhere near big enough for Viacom to get behind as a whole company.

Seriously guys, even if the whole pie is worth 1$ Billion, that's still less than a third of what Viacom was buying a single cable-only channel for (BET) 13 years ago.

They had a single stake sell for 240$ Billion in July.

It's a big deal to Spike. It's a big deal to Bellator. It could be a big deal to Zuffa.

The sport is not a big deal to Viacom.

There's probably a high ranking temp at Viacom that makes decisions on things involving this amount of money.
2/7/13 12:19 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

I picture Sumner Redstone & Bjork in a boardroom debating their Alvarez strategy, lol

god some of you are dumb

2/7/13 12:24 PM
UGSlapshot

Dana is in a conundrum because Bela is not for sale. Phone Post
2/7/13 12:27 PM
kostello

Viacom and Bellator are saying "Thank you Dana for building the sport, we appreciate it... our turn to take it over"
2/7/13 12:40 PM
JerodR
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The thing is that regardless of Viacom or Spike, they better have a true passion for MMA. People will sink more money into the things they love in both good times and bad. If it is nothing more than an investment or business opportunity they will take off when the return is not good enough. That I think is the difference between Dana and Lorenzo vs. many of these other guys.

The UFC is run by people that are true fans of the sport through and through. You have to not only match the big pockets but their drive to succeed because of how much they love it. If you can't do that then you will never be real competition over the long hall regardless of your checkbook.
2/7/13 12:48 PM
Brian J DSouza

LMAO @ the various threats to the UFC over the years.

The fighters will always appreciate one place where they can get major PPV dollars.

2/7/13 12:50 PM
DonFrye_Fan

Randy not having his father around explains a lot about his character. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.