UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN UK Possibly leaving UK market

2/27/13 9:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El Toro UK
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flannerz - BT will be launching two sports channels in the summer. I'd guess they'd be on the Sky platform but they haven't announced anything more yet
Having two BT sports channels available on the sky/virgin platforms like you and NIZ have said seems far more realistic than making those channels exclusive to BT Vision. Phone Post
2/27/13 9:29 AM
donfro
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ufc NEEDS to be on sky (sky sports in particular) if they want to be big in UK.

90% of people have sky -- it has ALL the big sports and ALL the channels all bundled into packages.

NO ONE has ESPN, SETANTA or will have BT.

UFC needs EYEBALLS in the uk.
2/27/13 9:30 AM
donfro
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DeWebb -  Best case scenario would be Channel 4, they have HD across Sky/Freesat/Freeview, that pretty much covers the whole of the UK. Phone Post

will NEVER happen.

UFC will price itself too much for C4 + it is probably too edgy for C4 to bother with.

People here still think it is CAGE FIGHTING with thugs
2/27/13 12:12 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana was talking about this big deal in the UK. If BT Vision is his idea of big then he is way of the mark. I hope this is speculation but with BT offering content already I don't think it is. Zuffa may have missed the boat on this one. Phone Post
2/27/13 4:34 PM
DeWebb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

donfro - ufc NEEDS to be on sky (sky sports in particular) if they want to be big in UK.

90% of people have sky -- it has ALL the big sports and ALL the channels all bundled into packages.

NO ONE has ESPN, SETANTA or will have BT.

UFC needs EYEBALLS in the uk.
Lol Sky have 15 million I think someone said, freeview was at 60 million a few years ago probably have more since the switch over, I don't see how Sky have 90% of the UK. Phone Post
2/28/13 11:05 AM
Crw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On Sky's own website it states it has 10,742,00 tv customers . This is accurate as of the 30th of June 2012.
I wonder how many actual pay the extra for the sports package .
Reading else were on the web it's saying sky hold about 40 percent viewership in the UK . Phone Post
2/28/13 11:34 AM
xAdRockx
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gary Cook CEO EMEA @UFC #UFC "Sky have dominated. BT Vision have around 15 million homes, and have moved into the marketplace"

I thought Gary was all over the UK market.... Where the fuck does he get those figures from?! A quick google turns up the wiki stating "As of December 2012, it had an estimated 771,000 subscribers."

Now unless they've suddenly got a fucktonne of customers in the last 3 months, I'm calling bullshit. I think that's 15m customers as in BT customers... not vision customers. No one except that bunch of student tossers on the advert use BT Vision, it's a stream that relies on your internet connection.
Get off the crack pipe Cook, this is a REALLY bad move for the UFC. When we spoke to Dana about this, he said the UK market was 7 years behind, he was very excited about a TV deal move in the UK, but honestly - BT Vision has been around for about 7 years now and it's no better now than it was then. I wouldn't say this was sideways, I'd say this is a step back.

Fuurther googling as I type this has also turned up:
"BT has continued its expansion into sports broadcasting, acquiring ESPN'S UK and Ireland TV channels business in a deal understood to be worth in the "low tens of millions"."
Probably the best news yet. Hopefully they'll stay on Sky and offer a better deal, woven into the Sky sports packages by default.
2/28/13 1:19 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xAdRockx - Gary Cook CEO EMEA @UFC #UFC "Sky have dominated. BT Vision have around 15 million homes, and have moved into the marketplace"

I thought Gary was all over the UK market.... Where the fuck does he get those figures from?! A quick google turns up the wiki stating "As of December 2012, it had an estimated 771,000 subscribers."

Now unless they've suddenly got a fucktonne of customers in the last 3 months, I'm calling bullshit. I think that's 15m customers as in BT customers... not vision customers. No one except that bunch of student tossers on the advert use BT Vision, it's a stream that relies on your internet connection.
Get off the crack pipe Cook, this is a REALLY bad move for the UFC. When we spoke to Dana about this, he said the UK market was 7 years behind, he was very excited about a TV deal move in the UK, but honestly - BT Vision has been around for about 7 years now and it's no better now than it was then. I wouldn't say this was sideways, I'd say this is a step back.

"BT has continued its expansion into sports broadcasting, acquiring ESPN'S UK and Ireland TV channels business in a deal understood to be worth in the "low tens of millions"."
Probably the best news yet. Hopefully they'll stay on Sky and offer a better deal, woven into the Sky sports packages by default.
Amen brother! Keep preaching, spot on with everything you say. Phone Post
2/28/13 6:38 PM
El Toro UK
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/28/13 6:44 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life - 
xAdRockx - Gary Cook CEO EMEA @UFC #UFC "Sky have dominated. BT Vision have around 15 million homes, and have moved into the marketplace"

Amen brother! Keep preaching, spot on with everything you say. Phone Post

AR Good post mate. The 15 million is just BT phone customers not BT vision, I just double checked it's in the video at 14.50 minute mark onwards.

http://aol.it/15gtTxz

3/1/13 10:43 AM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

pidgey - is that BT shit on satellite as well? Phone Post
We don't know. BT have just released info on them buying ESPN but they haven't released info on whether Virgin and Sky are going to be able to show the channel. Phone Post
3/1/13 10:59 AM
Skeletor68
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can we get that BT shite in Ireland?

3/1/13 11:01 AM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watch me finger a minor.

bt have a channel? thats news to me  

3/1/13 11:22 AM
Bootsy Collins
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skeletor68 - 

Can we get that BT shite in Ireland?

Prob be available on Sky or Chorus platforms
3/2/13 1:49 AM
DeWebb

MentaL -

bt have a channel? thats news to me  

If you get freeview then yes. Its likely going to be no different than ESPN, they will just have a different name. Phone Post
3/3/13 5:11 AM
The Super Bean
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad ESPN are disappearing!! My sky plus cut out half way through the hunt fight! Phone Post
3/3/13 6:42 AM
WH1ZZER
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/3/13 8:16 AM
Bootsy Collins
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair it seemed the actual main card started 40 mins late hence why the broadcast started awkwardly in the middle of the FB prelims. Not really ESPN's fault.
3/3/13 8:18 AM
Tartan warrior

My fucking ESPN cut out just before Wand ko'd Stann. Not happy...
3/3/13 8:30 AM
NorthernIrishZombie
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bootsy Collins - To be fair it seemed the actual main card started 40 mins late hence why the broadcast started awkwardly in the middle of the FB prelims. Not really ESPN's fault.

No, that's not it. For some reason ESPN were airing the last hour of the Facebook prelims. You'd think they would just show them all since they can obviously get them on air.

3/3/13 8:36 AM
Bootsy Collins

NorthernIrishZombie - 
Bootsy Collins - To be fair it seemed the actual main card started 40 mins late hence why the broadcast started awkwardly in the middle of the FB prelims. Not really ESPN's fault.

No, that's not it. For some reason ESPN were airing the last hour of the Facebook prelims. You'd think they would just show them all since they can obviously get them on air.

Really? But the broadcast started at 2 am with the prelims so were ESPN showing it on a delay so??
3/3/13 8:54 AM
Four Star

I would imagine the new BT sports will be available on sky, virgin, talktalk and through BT themselves. This channel is carrying premiership football, no way they keep that service exclusive. Phone Post
3/3/13 8:55 AM
Four Star

And since we are all complaining my sky plus cut off before the main event started. good job the YouTube police hadn't started their shift. Phone Post
3/3/13 9:02 AM
BigTedBear
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Recorded the event on sky + and the show on next and still didn't get the whole event nice one ESPN. Phone Post
3/3/13 1:50 PM
tom_hkr
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After last night i fucking hope so, the time for sky sports is now, or a ufc channel! Come on Zuffa sort it out Phone Post
3/4/13 8:57 AM
Flannerz
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigTedBear -  Recorded the event on sky + and the show on next and still didn't get the whole event nice one ESPN. Phone Post

I did exactly the same. I always record the show after and that cut off 2mins before Wand KO'd Stann!

BT Sport getting the UFC would be good for me as I'll probably get the channels as they have the 1st pick of the televised Premier League games last year. BT could actually do well as ESPN and Setanta before them always had the least attractive package of Premier League games.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.