UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN UK Possibly leaving UK market

2/18/13 5:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Outlaw'd by Lytle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crw - I'm happy with ESPN I'm not sure why they are getting all this hate . Phone Post
ESPN are wanting out if the current deal. Phone Post
2/18/13 5:51 PM
FOX Force Five
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The French Rugby union on ESPN is outstanding - I don't get time to watch it often but it delivers.
2/18/13 5:52 PM
NorthernIrishZombie
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sky is the best platform for the UFC, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm also in the "I'd be happy with this" camp, because I subscribe to Sky Sports anyways.

2/18/13 6:10 PM
BigTedBear
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really didn't want to see the move to sky sports I just know its going to go the same as wwe ppv where you get a few in the package and have to pay for the better cards its only 15 quid. Its going to cost us more to watch and I can see some people not paying for the ppv cards. As much as sky just seems to suck the life out of some sports the real loser here is the ufc if they had got this on FX or even channel five with proper support they could have got there ratings through the roof. Phone Post
2/18/13 6:16 PM
UGCTT_snsheehan

The talk of PPV is very premature. No way will UFC be on PPV over here straight off the bat.

Garteh tweeted a few weeks back that it would be at least 2017 until UFC would even think of PPV here
2/18/13 6:18 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crw -  I'm happy with ESPN I'm not sure why they are getting all this hate . Phone Post

It's just all the people who lack foresight with that "Grass is always greener on the other side" mentality.

2/18/13 6:32 PM
DanUK
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember reading that Amir Khan had screwed up (fight wise or behind the scenes, I dont know) and that was the reason why he was moving to IPPV.

The UFC will do well on Sky. They can be flexible in giving the UFC plenty of airtime on their four HD sports channel and if the UFC can put in a Prelims on Sky One, even better.

In general, I dont believe the UK PPV market is sustainable. I'd love to see the numbers but I havent seen any continuing shift of moving major events over to PPV. It's only the big, big boxing fights that are on Pay Per View, and WWE. Even the Pacqaio vs Marquez fight was on normal Sky Sports. I dont think the UFC will be on PPV if it goes to Sky.
2/18/13 6:34 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FearTheClown -
Crw -  I'm happy with ESPN I'm not sure why they are getting all this hate . Phone Post

It's just all the people who lack foresight with that "Grass is always greener on the other side" mentality.

Read the thread lads. ESPN have stated they want out the deal. In a year there will be no ESPN in the UK. It's not about the grass being greener. Phone Post
2/18/13 7:02 PM
El Toro UK
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life -
FearTheClown -

Read the thread lads. ESPN have stated they want out the deal. In a year there will be no ESPN in the UK. It's not about the grass being greener. Phone Post
Mate did ESPN sell the part of their NBA rights to Sky? Phone Post
2/18/13 7:05 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El Toro UK -
FearTheClown -

Mate did ESPN sell the part of their NBA rights to Sky? Phone Post
Not sure buddy. I'll ask at work tomorrow. As I mentioned before though, they are trying to sell everything so it wouldn't surprise me. Phone Post
2/18/13 7:10 PM
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It pains me to say it but Sky has no interest in this sport and they never will until MMA can change its image.

Sky boxing....

MMA...

2/19/13 2:03 AM
BigTedBear
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be interesting to know the numbers they did on Bravo where there was a taped delay on Sunday nights compared to ESPN numbers in the wee small hours. It would have been cool to see how they would have done if they had a deal with Eurosport as it is another channel that most people have access to and they have done mma in the past. Phone Post
2/19/13 2:10 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

pidgey -
BigTedBear -  It would be interesting to know the numbers they did on Bravo where there was a taped delay on Sunday nights compared to ESPN numbers in the wee small hours. It would have been cool to see how they would have done if they had a deal with Eurosport as it is another channel that most people have access to and they have done mma in the past. Phone Post

Many will disagree but Eurosport would be the best solution for the UFC, because it covers the whole Europe.

Maybe the UFC wants to make individual deals with each country to maximize the profit, but if they really want to spread the UFC name and gain popularity in Europe, Eurosport would be the best solution.

Sky Italy recently dropped the UFC, after experimenting with PPV that made utter low numbers, apparently Mediaset is picking it up (major italian tv network, owned by Berlusconi...) and going to show it on their premium channels, i dont know yet whether it's going on ppv but i doubt it.

Lol.

No one watches Eurosport anymore!! Phone Post
2/19/13 2:36 PM
FOX Force Five
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They have outstanding coverage of WSB, BSB and MotoGP. It's become the home of bikesport.
2/19/13 2:39 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

FOX Force Five - They have outstanding coverage of WSB, BSB and MotoGP. It's become the home of bikesport.
Exactly. Phone Post
2/19/13 6:24 PM
john joe
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
eurosport cant air MMA in a cage because MMA in a cage is banned in france and certain other euro regions

latest news is that the UFC is going to a SKY platform rather than a sky-branded channel; that could be one of a few hundred channels but is very possible a newly floated one

announcement due in about 4 weeks
2/19/13 6:27 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

john joe - eurosport cant air MMA in a cage because MMA in a cage is banned in france and certain other euro regions

latest news is that the UFC is going to a SKY platform rather than a sky-branded channel; that could be one of a few hundred channels but is very possible a newly floated one

4 weeks ...... Shit. This is worse than waiting on a blow job from the wife. Phone Post
2/19/13 6:29 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

john joe - eurosport cant air MMA in a cage because MMA in a cage is banned in france and certain other euro regions

4 weeks ...... Shit. This is worse than waiting on a blow job from the wife. Phone Post
Ha ha :D Phone Post
2/19/13 6:33 PM
whitfield1234
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What u mean skyplatform does this mean people on virgin media won't get the channel Phone Post
2/19/13 6:35 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life

whitfield1234 -

What u mean skyplatform does this mean people on virgin media won't get the channel Phone Post
Nah, you guys will be cool. Sounds like Fox or something like that. Dana will make sure it's sure it's open to the whole of the UK. Phone Post
2/19/13 6:37 PM
FOX Force Five

Is Fox on freeview or top up TV?
2/19/13 7:54 PM
TartanArmy
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
2/19/13 7:57 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - eurosport cant air MMA in a cage because MMA in a cage is banned in france and certain other euro regions

Interesting theory but you are wrong because Eurosport used to show Strikeforce.

2/19/13 9:20 PM
El Toro UK
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/19/13 10:53 PM

Looking like it could be FOX then. Alot of the non SKY branded entertainment channels are owned by UKTV, Universal, CBS and Paramount. You'd assume that the UFC want to enhance their relationship with FOX by agreeing a UK TV deal.   

Premier Sports is only availble on SKY which would isolate virgin and freeview fans.

Eurosport have shown K-1 and Strikeforce before so they could be down for a deal.

I'd be amazed if Garry Cook has pulled off a deal with any of the ITV or CH 5 channels.

Also came accross this article on what GC is looking for from the next UK TV partners http://bit.ly/WVB3FD

2/20/13 6:19 AM
BigTedBear

I was under the impression Eurosport tailored there content however I could be wrong as for nobody watching it they were showing K1 and have showed mma in the past. Let's be honest if it was on you would watch it there wasn't much else on bravo back when they showed it. Even channel five were showing some highlight shows a while I think they had some main events. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.