UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Any green egg tips?

2/7/13 3:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Big Pun
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just bought a large green egg. I have never cooked on a ceramic style pit before. I do have the electric temperature control for the grill. I have used a lot of traditional smokers and direct heat grills. As a child of west Texas I grew up with a stick burner due to the fact we could walk across the street and get as much mesquite as we wanted at any time we wanted. I have recently started using charcoal and wood mixtures to do my smoking. I got the green egg because I'm a jerk like that. Yes I paid for the name. Yes, I still think they are a good grill even if they cost $100 more than the next closest thing. I entertain a lot of company at my house in the warmer months, which is dang near every month in west Texas. I love to grill and I love to show off my cooking skills. Tell me how to become more of a show off OG. Got any cool cooking tips to make me seem like I know more than I do?
2/7/13 3:06 PM
Big Pun
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More info. I hunt and fish. I almost always have deer cutlets available. I usually have fish fillets available as well. Catfish, trout and bass mainly. Sometimes crappies. Mostly stuff native to the rivers in hill country Texas. I also usually have a rattlesnake or two although none right now. Any tips on these would e great.

Yes, I am a redneck
2/22/13 2:25 PM
PartsGuy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a Kamado. I love it. When doing longer cooks, I will use a foil pan with water and use the top level for my meat.
2/24/13 10:44 AM
Columi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a BGE and I love it, welcome to the club! As far as tips are concerned I think the most important thing you can do is master temperature control, while it isn't terribly difficult be prepared for a learning curve. I gained all my knowledge through practice and by reading up GreenEggers.Com a BGE forum with tips, tricks and recipes. Plenty of tips on the forum for how to build your fire, manage your temps, etc...its a great resource.
2/24/13 10:44 AM
Columi

I've got a BGE and I love it, welcome to the club! As far as tips are concerned I think the most important thing you can do is master temperature control, while it isn't terribly difficult be prepared for a learning curve. I gained all my knowledge through practice and by reading up GreenEggers.Com a BGE forum with tips, tricks and recipes. Plenty of tips on the forum for how to build your fire, manage your temps, etc...its a great resource.
3/19/13 5:09 PM
BaldTony
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't have one myself(it is not sunny enough here to justify a BGE on cost grounds), but with most cooking stuff, I tend to browse eGullet. It's a fantastic resource for anything food related

Here's the 1st BGE thread I found. Bound to be more

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/135020-cooking-on-a-big-green-egg/

3/19/13 5:57 PM
PartsGuy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sunny enough BaldTony? I use mine in the dead of winter. I cook ribs for News Year eve when it was snowing.
3/19/13 5:59 PM
BaldTony
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously? Hmm. Might look into it then. They look great, and I do need something that can be used as a smoker too
3/20/13 11:05 AM
Big Pun

I will use the egg year round. I've been using it for everything. So far I have made some really good BBQ on it. I absolutely bombed on the pizza though. The crust stuck to the ceramic stone. Was just a mess. Next time I will use corn meal to keep it from sticking. I use the DigiQ2 fan with the egg and it helps me maintain exact temps on the grill
3/20/13 11:07 AM
Big Pun

With that automatic fan controlling the temps I can cook anything I want on the egg. I have made a ton of ribs, steaks, burgers, whole chickens, etc... I plan to expand out my recipes this summer using the egg. I am also planning to use it to smoke some jalapenos for chipotles.
4/19/13 6:38 PM
Aaron J

I just bought one and have cooked on it 4 times and love it. I am doing a beer can chicken tomorrow with. My trick with it is I put root vegetables (carrots, turnips, sweet potato..) underneath in drip pan and let the fat from the chicken drip down and season it.

I did prime tenderloin filets the other night (wifes steak cut) topped with herb butter and they were great. Prime New York strip a few nights later, incredible!

Plan on doing bread, cobbler, turkey breast, jalapeno stuffed with salami and cheese, chicken wings and everything else under the sun this summer.
4/19/13 6:38 PM
Aaron J

I just bought one and have cooked on it 4 times and love it. I am doing a beer can chicken tomorrow with. My trick with it is I put root vegetables (carrots, turnips, sweet potato..) underneath in drip pan and let the fat from the chicken drip down and season it.

I did prime tenderloin filets the other night (wifes steak cut) topped with herb butter and they were great. Prime New York strip a few nights later, incredible!

Plan on doing bread, cobbler, turkey breast, jalapeno stuffed with salami and cheese, chicken wings and everything else under the sun this summer.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.