UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> New Chael portrait for #FranksFight (need help)

2/8/13 2:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DiscipleDojo
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder

The auction for my Rowdy Bec portrait is about to end and so far the bidding is at $455 as of this post. Bec and I have both been blown away by the support that fans have shown in helping raise $ for the UG's own #FranksFight.

I'd like to try to keep this momentum going and continue helping raise funds. So my next portrait will be of the ever-polarizing, ever-entertaining Chael P Sonnen (R)...

I used to not think too much of Chael. To me, he was the Ric Flair of MMA...you either love him or love to hate him. But over the past 2 years or so he's really grown on me in candid interviews and particularly in the respect he showed for Renzo leading up to his last fight with Silva (I'm a Renzo guy, so that cemented me as a fan).

So I wanted to do a portrait that showed both sides of Sonnen. The heel and the face. The trash talking fighter and the likeable coach.

The goal is the same as my previous portraits: to auction off the original and raise money for a great cause. I plan on donating 70% of this to #FranksFight and the other 30% to the ongoing ministry of Disciple Dojo (and to pay for ebay/paypal fees, shipping/handling, etc.).

But before I do, I'd love it if I could get Chael to sign the original when I finish. However, this is where I need help...as I have no inside track with him. Do any fellow UGers know Chael or his management well? Would anyone be able to let him know about this and see if he'd be willing to sign it? If so, I'd greatly appreciate any PMs that could help put me in touch with him or someone close to him.

The online MMA community has rallied around #FranksFight in a pretty spectacular way and as I write this, the portrait I did of Dana (based on the excellent photography of UG member The Geek!) is on its way to him for his autograph (I'll post more on it once I have it back and let folks know how to bid). Chael seems like a genuinely good guy and if nothing else, I'd at least like to personally send him some prints of the finished piece.

So gracias for any help, amigos. And I'll post pics of the progress below as I go.

You can also see my other #FranksFight charity portraits over on my Art of the Dojo Facebook page.

And as always, if you don't dig my work then please find another way to help continue getting word out and raising $ for Frank & Wendy and showing them love and support from the UG! http://franksfight.webs.com

Blessings from the Dojo,

JM

2/8/13 2:27 PM
UGCTT_sakurabas ear
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
2/8/13 2:31 PM
RickStorm
1603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

Beautiful job.. cant wait for the finish of this one..

I can get you in contact with Chael and his team

2/8/13 2:38 PM
DiscipleDojo
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm - 

Beautiful job.. cant wait for the finish of this one..

I can get you in contact with Chael and his team

BTW, tell him I'll send him prints of this one as well that he can tape to the heavy bag or focus mitts...

;)

2/8/13 2:43 PM
RickStorm
1603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HAHA! 

You do realize we have two conversations going on with two different media outlets.. LOL

I might not be able to get Chael to contact you as he gets a bizillion messages, emails, & texts per day, but I'll have one of his coaches, Scott, Clay or Jamie contact you, and you can give him all the Franks Fight info and such..

2/8/13 3:07 PM
RickStorm

Okay DD...

Can you PM me here or FB message me your email and I will have him contact you direct instead of threw me

2/8/13 3:15 PM
DiscipleDojo

RickStorm - 

Okay DD...

Can you PM me here or FB message me your email and I will have him contact you direct instead of threw me

Will do, brotha! I know Chael is uber-busy, so I didn't expect to be able to get in touch with him. But someone who could get him to sign it would be awesome. I'll message you on FB in a sec!

2nd stage...

2/8/13 3:16 PM
the geek
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome thread is awesome!!! Phone Post
2/8/13 3:24 PM
Dacha
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice
2/8/13 3:52 PM
woodstainedglass
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey nice work. i like the 2nd stage

2/8/13 3:56 PM
DiscipleDojo

woodstainedglass - 

hey nice work. i like the 2nd stage

Thanks man. Love your work as well. So creative! (and the BJJ geek in me loves the breakdown and highlight of technique!)

For those who haven't seen what I'm talking about, check out woodstained's thread: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2130225&page=1

2/8/13 3:58 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1751 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dojo gets it.  If you want a handsome portrait, choose an incredibly handsome subject.

2/8/13 4:10 PM
DiscipleDojo

So when will you be commissioning yours, 2Jupes? The world needs to be exposed to your level of handsome!

2/8/13 4:12 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1751 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My father is 1/64 Chickasaw Indian and our clan believes that a man's soul becomes toxic if replicated using marker.  For this reason, all of our family protraits were drawn using either blood or feces depending on the season and color scheme.

2/8/13 4:22 PM
RickStorm

Edited: 02/08/13 4:22 PM

Hey DD.. get over to FB now... check the tagged photo.. Contact is made bud!!

2/8/13 5:17 PM
RickStorm

I love it when a plan works out lol

TTT

2/8/13 7:53 PM
DiscipleDojo

2JupitersTooMany - 

My father is 1/64 Chickasaw Indian and our clan believes that a man's soul becomes toxic if replicated using marker.  For this reason, all of our family protraits were drawn using either blood or feces depending on the season and color scheme.

That's exactly what I fill my markers with, so you're in luck.  ;)

2/8/13 7:54 PM
DiscipleDojo

RickStorm - 

I love it when a plan works out lol

TTT

Hey Rick, I sent him a message but since we're not FB friends it goes to his "other" folder (i.e. where most spam goes). So if you want to follow up and make sure he got it sometime in the next day or so that'd be awesome.

2/9/13 8:09 PM
RickStorm

ok.. your on his "list" now. Go ahead and remessage him =)

2/10/13 12:43 AM
DiscipleDojo

Done. Will let ya know if I hear somethign back.

2/10/13 12:52 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ask mmavixen, she talks to Chael on the phone every so often.

Even handles his twitter account from what she told me.

2/10/13 2:47 PM
DiscipleDojo

Just got word from his coach. Chael WILL be signing the original! Woo-hoo!

3rd stage (Team Quest inspired background coloring)

2/10/13 2:52 PM
GnP Sonnen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiscipleDojo -

Just got word from his coach. Chael WILL be signing the original! Woo-hoo!

3rd stage (Team Quest inspired background coloring)

I want Phone Post
2/10/13 2:57 PM
MT11
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool and for a great cause Phone Post
2/10/13 3:52 PM
DiscipleDojo

Starting the penciling stage...

(Sorry for the pic quality, I'm snapping photos of it as I go with my dinky Kodak easyshare camera)

Hope to have this one finished in the next couple of days and sent off to get signed by next weekend. Will post the auction as soon as I get it back. However I'll be in India between Feb.24th-Mar.6th, so I may not be able to list it until I get back.

My Rowdy Bec portrait ended up getting $455. I'm hoping this one, being signed by Chael, brings in at least that much (my signed GSP brought in $600). 70% will go straight to Frank & Wendy, so I hope Chael fans bid well.

Also, for any Team Quest fans out there, I still have the originals of my Randy and Sokodjou pieces for sale. $200 each and half of that will be donated to #FranksFight.

I also have prints of my Hendo portrait available (the original sold last year) if anyone wants one:

PM if interested.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.