UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 6 new wood engravings about Mir/Lesnar I

2/8/13 2:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
woodstainedglass
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/08/13 2:17 PM

Hey all,

My new "Defining Moment" article is up, with new wood engravings looking back at MIr's kneebar submission during Lesnar's UFC debut.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/defining-moment---mir-vs-lesnar-1

2/8/13 2:21 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty crazy. Why choose that medium? Just out of curiosity. Phone Post
2/8/13 2:23 PM
mixedmartialfarts
780 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool!  Nice work!

2/8/13 2:33 PM
woodstainedglass
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been a wood working artist for a few years, and it's really my strongest medium. I was making large scale cityscapes, stained glass replicas, and figurative work on wood while just being an MMA fan in my personal life.  

I was a decent painter, but nothing excellent. Drawing has always been my strong suit, and this type of wood work lets me make drawing the basis of my work. Then I can work with the wood tone & grain, and use wood stain for color. I did construction when I was in college, and always liked wood grain and working with tools, plus the wood is way more durable than canvas. 

my old work is here: http://christopherrini.com

2/8/13 2:39 PM
Caleb Alexander Von Reuter
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool! Phone Post
2/8/13 2:39 PM
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

amazing work as usual

and congrats on joining Fightland

2/8/13 2:47 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool man. Thanks for sharing. Phone Post
2/8/13 2:47 PM
Jack Skellington
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'wood Jerry, WOOD!!!!!'

2/8/13 2:49 PM
fakezaga
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Dude:

I think your work is great. I really like pyrography and you have your own style for sure. I also think it's a neat idea to isolate the turning points of famous fights and illustrate them like this.

I just want to point out that wood engraving is actually something completely different - similar to a woodcut print, but the negative image is incised into the end grain of the block using burins.

I was sort of pumped opening this thread because I used to do a lot of wood engravings, so I thought I'd post...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_engraving

In any case, you should try it sometime. It is a totally different medium. If you like drawing and wood you will probably find it both challenging and gratifying.

Again - great work!
2/8/13 2:49 PM
LikeH2O
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Fucking hilarious!! Phone Post
2/8/13 3:10 PM
Ryan Black
581 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome work OP! Phone Post
2/8/13 3:14 PM
woodstainedglass

oh my god, i love seinfeld. that is hilarious!

2/8/13 3:25 PM
DiscipleDojo
685 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder

TTT for MMArt!

Excellent work, man. Has a very classy look to it and would look good hanging in a gym or in a study. Well done.

2/8/13 3:46 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

February 2, 2008, saw the arrival of Brock Lesnar in the UFC. With a superhuman physique and a gift for self-promotion perfected during his days as professional wrestling star, Lesnar had the potential to be a godsend to the still-fringe sport of mixed martial arts.  

For his debut, Brock fought Frank Mir, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu expert and former UFC heavyweight champion. While Lesnar was touted as the next big thing, in some ways his fight with Mir was a throwback to the early days of the UFC, with a powerful brawler underestimating the effectiveness of a jiu-jitsu fighter working off his back. Lesnar, a former division wrestling champion, tackled Mir to the ground in under 10 seconds and then pounded away at him. But Mir used his arms and legs to frustrate Lesnar's ground-and-pound attack, giving the wrestler dominant position before eventually finishing him with a kneebar.

The outcome may have been the best of all possible worlds for all involved. Despite the loss, Lesnar was able to showcase his amazing potential and establish a reputation that would shortly make him the biggest draw in the UFC. Mir carried the torch of Royce Gracie, using BJJ to defeat a larger, stronger opponent. And the UFC gained a rivalry between two marketable stars that would culminate in the promotion’s biggest-ever pay-per-view event a year-and-a-half later.

(Fig.1) Mir puts a left hook on the inside of Lesnar's knee from open guard and Lesnar fails to control it. 

(Fig. 2) Mir shifts his weight and reaches for Lesnar's right leg with his left hand.

(Fig. 3) Lesnar attempts to punch instead of putting his weight down and defending the leg.

(Fig. 4) When Mir's leg attack starts, Lesnar jumps away.

(Fig. 5) Unable to shake Mir's grip, Lesnar reacts correctly, pushing with his foot against Mir's knee to escape.

(Fig. 6) Unfortunately for Lesnar, it's too late. Infamous for his willingness to crank his submissions, Mir arches back and pushes up his hips, forcing Lesnar to tap.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.