UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gamburyan out of the fight with Mendes

2/8/13 6:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
RileyPust -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  If Lamas wants to fight Mendes why fight him on 2 weeks notice? Wait a few months and fight him with a full training camp. Phone Post

In all seriousness, they should do this. Mendes deserves higher ranked opponents. TKZ is hoping to return in June, he'll get a good opponent after beating Dustin. Lamas is going to need a good fight to make him the clear number one contender (which I think he is).

He could, of course, wait and fight TKZ... but who wants to wait for that. Wishful thinking, I know, but Lamas vs Mendes would be awesome.
How is it a better idea to fight Mendes (who is really freaking good) on only two weeks notice than to wait until June to fight him or TKZ or Edgar or someone? The fights have the exact same consequences win or lose.

And as far as waiting, if he fights in 2 weeks and cements himself as top contender and next in line, he gets a much longer layoff waiting for Pettis/Aldo than if he waits 3 or 4 months and fights for top contender then. Phone Post

Yeah... uhh, the "In all seriousness, they should do this." was referring to what you said in your post. You know, about waiting and fighting later with a full training camp. When I wrote it I thought that was clear. After re-reading, I think it's clear.
2/8/13 6:26 PM
Mit
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was looking forward to this fight! Big Anvil fan.
2/8/13 6:41 PM
Googlebright
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DEZBOT - 
ImA2TimeLoser -
caposa -

Telling Lamas to step up when he just finished demolishing one of the top FWs 2 weeks ago. Also the belt is locked up until after August 3rd. Step up for what reason exactly?

Uh a fight? Phone Post
So your saying a win now over mendes is Gonna secure him a title shot in over a years time? That's stupid Phone Post

Why not? Diaz's loss to Condit secured him a title shot over a year later. A win should work for sure.
2/8/13 8:06 PM
Vitor Me A New One
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa -

My guess is that we see Dennis Bermudez fill in against Mendes. He is already scheduled to fight Matt Grice on the prelims.

That would be cool!

Dennis is a freak athlete, never gets tired. I think Chad would have his work cut out for him there. Phone Post
2/8/13 9:20 PM
jayflo145
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put in Jimy Hettes to fill in!!!! Phone Post
2/8/13 9:24 PM
Kansas Comet

Feed Clay Guida to Mendes!
2/8/13 9:32 PM
stevekt
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/8/13 9:40 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow! Broken thumb and fractured elbow? What the hell happened this close to a fight?!

Sounds like maybe he fell wrong defending a takedown or something? Phone Post
2/8/13 9:49 PM
time traveling 12er
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ImA2TimeLoser - 
caposa -

Telling Lamas to step up when he just finished demolishing one of the top FWs 2 weeks ago. Also the belt is locked up until after August 3rd. Step up for what reason exactly?

Uh a fight? Phone Post

You don't get it. It's not about fighting anymore. It's about gaming your way up then protecting your shot at all costs. (Not to say Lamas is a gamer, just speaking of the climate in general.) The modern system of planning your career based on fear and focusing on being a winner more than a fighter. Get near the top then start telling everyone you deserve it rather than risking your shot by proving it in the octogon.
2/8/13 10:14 PM
mata_leao
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has Hacran Dias healed from his injury?? I was really looking forward to that fight! Phone Post
2/8/13 10:19 PM
esch99
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be honest, this fight didn't thrill me. Put Schaub and Johnson on the main card where they belong! They should be there anyway-every card should have six fights.
2/8/13 11:36 PM
Arecsa
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad luck for Mendes, iirc he lost his original opponent a week or so before his fight on the TUF Smashes finale.
2/8/13 11:39 PM
DEZBOT

Googlebright -
DEZBOT - 
ImA2TimeLoser -
caposa -

Uh a fight? Phone Post
So your saying a win now over mendes is Gonna secure him a title shot in over a years time? That's stupid Phone Post

Why not? Diaz's loss to Condit secured him a title shot over a year later. A win should work for sure.
Lamas is not diaz, and I mean that from a ppv draw sense, especially if he doesn't fight for a year, so that is a stupid idea Phone Post
2/9/13 12:06 AM
B_Goetz

GregBell  - New this was going to happen ...lawler next not even sure manny had any intention of ever fighting this match up..terrible match up for him imo. No shocker him pulling out. Hopefully lawler vs kos stays together as I have tix for this.

He must've deliberately broken his elbow and thumb to avoid the fight.
2/9/13 3:30 AM
A.Muradyan

CalicoInsurance.com
Sucks for Manny. Manny is the hardest worker i know. He earned his spot with blood and sweat, i wish the best for him and support and look up to him. This was a good match up for him i felt. Get well soon Anvil. Phone Post
2/9/13 3:39 AM
allforroy
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't see too many guys at the top end of the mix taking this fight on two weeks notice. Phone Post
2/9/13 9:20 AM
MisterFixit
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No fight for Manny Cheap Shot Gamburyan?

Good. Never want to see any fighter fight after pulling shit like that.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj30/SandyC_008/Manny.gif
2/9/13 7:05 PM
A.Muradyan

CalicoInsurance.com
That gif is misleading and to understand what really happened there and emotional climate before the fight one must look at the entire fight starting with fighter intro.

Manny is not known for his kicks let alone side kick. If he really conspired to cheap shot he would throw an overhand right.

This was more touch and go built up from momentum. Please watch entire fight before judging not just gif.

I do understand that some people just rub others the wrong way and are much easier to hate on. A lot if people cant get over the fact that Gambo beat Lauzon and Wiman, but he did it. Phone Post
2/10/13 4:26 AM
time traveling 12er
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A.Muradyan -  That gif is misleading and to understand what really happened there and emotional climate before the fight one must look at the entire fight starting with fighter intro.

Manny is not known for his kicks let alone side kick. If he really conspired to cheap shot he would throw an overhand right.

This was more touch and go built up from momentum. Please watch entire fight before judging not just gif.

I do understand that some people just rub others the wrong way and are much easier to hate on. A lot if people cant get over the fact that Gambo beat Lauzon and Wiman, but he did it. Phone Post

I like Manny so I want to understand what you're saying here. It definitely doesn't look like a normal kick. But at the same time it's kind of hard to see it as anything other than a strike attempt of some kind too soon after the glove tap.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.