UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC/Bellator

2/8/13 6:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grindnpound
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok im going to go ahead and dream big here

Lets say bellator becomes and remains an even competitor to the UFC, proving that it can not only put on exciting fights but can actually attract the best fighters in the world, while paying them what they deserve

In 1970 the NFL and the AFL merged to create what is now the NFC and the AFC as well as the Super Bowl. Imagine two separate leagues that competed through out the year like normal and then had a tournament style playoff series to determine who fights in the annual Super Fight Night

Both leagues can keep their TV deal much like Fox broadcasts the NFC game and CBS broadcasts the AFC games. We would see the best two fighters from each weight class fight each other every year and you could actually have a true champion for the entire sport

The money that such a league would generate is limitless as the format would be one that has been proven already from several previous sports and then applied to what is the fastest growing sport in the world

Just Imagine UFC vs BFC every year its an MMA fans dream come true
2/8/13 6:29 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem is that the UFC's best SMOKE BFC's best, with the possible exception of Chandler vs Bendo.

2/8/13 6:31 PM
Letibleu
1617 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

but Bellator has all the b c and e level fighters, other than a very select few that could be excent journeymen. many Bellator fighters I would consider gatekeepers to become UFC journeymen.

2/8/13 6:32 PM
grindnpound
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu - 

but Bellator has all the b c and e level fighters, other than a very select few that could be excent journeymen. many Bellator fighters I would consider gatekeepers to become UFC journeymen.

i understand that, all of this would be assuming that the Viacom deal brings them to the big leagues with something to offer in the future

2/8/13 7:26 PM
armbarheelhook
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think dana would like that too much. he wants all the power and control over elite level MMA pretty much.

If dana were to sign off on this, he would already want to control the other fight org. Which dana and the UFC could have done something similar when they bought PRIDE FC. There were A/elite level MMA fighters in both orgs at the time and would have been the optimal time to do something like this.

Instead they folded PRIDE FC and brought them over including making that undisputed title fight between Rampage and Hendo iirc.

They would have controlled the North American and Asian elite level MMA markets but perhaps might have got too big too fast.. maybe..? Phone Post
2/8/13 7:29 PM
grindnpound

armbarheelhook - I dont think dana would like that too much. he wants all the power and control over elite level MMA pretty much.

If dana were to sign off on this, he would already want to control the other fight org. Which dana and the UFC could have done something similar when they bought PRIDE FC. There were A/elite level MMA fighters in both orgs at the time and would have been the optimal time to do something like this.

Instead they folded PRIDE FC and brought them over including making that undisputed title fight between Rampage and Hendo iirc.

They would have controlled the North American and Asian elite level MMA markets but perhaps might have got too big too fast.. maybe..? Phone Post
The problem with the Pride merger was the ring

Most of the fighters who fought in pride had a very hard time adjusting to the cage as well as there being huges differences in the rules

Doing something with bellator would be much smoother Phone Post
2/8/13 7:44 PM
armbarheelhook
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ No matter what the rule set or ring, dana would never allow a UFC v Bellator like you described unless dana himself owned both orgs. Which was the point i was trying to make.

I used PRIDE FC as a reference because both orgs already had established elite level fighters and ZUFFA happened to own both at the time. Bellator doesnt nearly have enough elite level guys/names as UFC or PRIDE FC.

And if dana didnt/couldnt do this scenario you describe back then, i really dont see it happening on UFCs end atleast. imo

Down the road when/if both Bellator and ONE FC get more exposure, talent, bigger... maybe they might want to go into business together like you say. Phone Post
2/8/13 7:46 PM
KingGo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

armbarheelhook - I dont think dana would like that too much. he wants all the power and control over elite level MMA pretty much.

I think ufc wanted to run pride like they did w strikeforce, but due to many illegal fighter contracts and strong yakuza connections ufc had no choice but to shut pride down and bring what fighters they could. Essentially the ufc paid millions for a huge fight video library Phone Post
2/9/13 6:11 AM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/09/13 6:24 AM

people imagined the same hypothetical scenario with pride... then with ifl, elite xc, bodg, affliction, SF and now bellator.

for bellator to even compete with the UFC as pepsi competes with coke, they'll need to routinely pull1.8 million viewers with their fight nights... not 800k.  They cant even keep eddie alvarez who didnt even get a lombard deal.

imagine if he got a lombard deal...  they have to keep him in court because they cant really match the offer he did get.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.