UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen: Failure is always an option

2/8/13 7:48 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17 coach Chael Sonnen gave an inspirational speech regarding failure on the most recent episode of TUF 17. Sonnen's speech had many in the mixed martial arts (MMA) community talking and if you happened to miss it, a word-for-word transcription is available below:

"When doubt seeps in you got two roads you can take either road. You can go to the left or you can go to the right and believe me, they'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times, but it's a choice. You can choose to fail or you can choose to succeed. And if we can plant seeds and let him know, ‘Move your feet, keep your hands up, stay off the bottom.' That is the road to victory, or self-doubt and negative talk, and that is the road to failure. But failure is always there, and it's okay to recognize that. If I can leave you with anything today, in my long journey through this is, one, it's okay. Two, it's normal. And as athletes and especially as men, as male athletes we hate to admit weakness to ourselves, and when you're dealing with something and you got some kind of a hiccup, yeah, first thing is acknowledge it."

read entire article...

2/8/13 7:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool

2/8/13 7:51 PM
Ip Man 81
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In before Lazer MMA accuses Chael of ducking someone. Phone Post
2/8/13 7:51 PM
HexRei

chael has a lot of experience with failure so he knows what he's talking about
2/8/13 7:54 PM
NavyCorpsman
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If I can leave you with anything today, in my long journey through this is, one, it's okay."

That was awesome. He is really one hell of a coach. I was talking to a couple buddies who before the series just thought he was an arrogant loudmouth, and they both begrudgingly gave him a lot of respect after this last episode. Phone Post
2/8/13 7:56 PM
Wee Bey Jr
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool Phone Post
2/8/13 7:56 PM
Ip Man 81

NavyCorpsman - "If I can leave you with anything today, in my long journey through this is, one, it's okay."

That was awesome. He is really one hell of a coach. I was talking to a couple buddies who before the series just thought he was an arrogant loudmouth, and they both begrudgingly gave him a lot of respect after this last episode. Phone Post
I would say he is one of if not the best coaches to go through TUF. From what I've seen so far Phone Post
2/8/13 7:57 PM
UGCTT_ForeverOwnedByFryedTakayama
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - chael has a lot of experience with failure so he knows what he's talking about
You sound like a bitter douche Phone Post
2/8/13 8:00 PM
HexRei

UGCTT_ForeverOwnedByFryedTakayama - 
HexRei - chael has a lot of experience with failure so he knows what he's talking about

Oooh, sounds like you're the bitter one. Hit a nerve did I?
2/8/13 8:04 PM
J_Swift

Awesome speech and great words. The part about failure can pertain to anything in life making it a very motivational quote. Phone Post
2/8/13 8:17 PM
UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby
795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vid

2/8/13 8:21 PM
Topsyjt
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NavyCorpsman - "If I can leave you with anything today, in my long journey through this is, one, it's okay."

Had the same convo with a good friend of mine on Wed. Need to show him this. Loved his American Gansta interview also. He's awesome for the MMA sport. Phone Post
2/8/13 8:21 PM
Overseer got owned by BCE
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei -

Phone Post
2/8/13 8:33 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
2/8/13 8:42 PM
slowdiver
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep I hated him after the brazilian kid comments...but I never denied he has guts. Hated his mouth but what a tuff dude to force fights with the best fighters on Earth. Its not like he's bullying lesser men or something.

But listening to him in almost every other situation when he's not hyping a fight and he is super respectful and is a very attentive listener. I'm a fan now but still really wish he hadnt done that brazilian press conference. Went over the line on that stuff. I appreciate what I'm learning from him right now.
2/8/13 8:46 PM
BlueOnBlack
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby - 

vid

This video was great! So was his appearance on the Rogan podcast. He comes across as very sincere and I'd imagine would make a great coach to train under.

I'm not really a big fan of his WWE style antics but it seems to work for him so what do I know.
2/8/13 8:47 PM
beastrosoup
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His speech on intensity at a kids wrestling camp was pretty cool too Phone Post
2/8/13 8:47 PM
chaplinshouse
714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think chael misunderstood the whole meaning behind "failure is not an option."  that's not a factual statement it's more an affirmation.  everyone knows it's an option, they're just saying "don't even let your mind entertain the thought otherwise you may succumb to it"

2/8/13 8:51 PM
XcessiveZ

One of the best fighters in the world who's made a fuckton of money,has a hot girlfriend and was a top level wrestler is a failure?

Why don't you tell the UG how much a of success you are to call Chael a failure. Phone Post
2/8/13 8:54 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

beastrosoup - His speech on intensity at a kids wrestling camp was pretty cool too Phone Post
The one about always one upping people? He smacks you, you smack him back harder, he punches you, you kick him, etc?

Fantastic speech Phone Post
2/8/13 8:56 PM
HexRei

goddamn you faelfans are easy to bait, lol
2/8/13 9:00 PM
MixedMartialArse
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been on a roller coaster of emotion over the last couple of years to arrive here, but I'm a Sonnen fan. The failure speech was some motivational poster shit. Phone Post
2/8/13 9:02 PM
ChaosOverkill
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/08/13 9:03 PM

Chael is already top 5 in coaches in TUF history.

Might be the best if he keeps his head about him when and if his team loses

2/8/13 9:05 PM
vaginal tear
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate -
HexRei - 

I think Sonnen struck a nerve with you, actually.

He's coaching this show, his guys are tearing it up, he earned himself title shots in 2 divisions, he's probably swimming in money right now, he has a smoking hot girlfriend that he just picked up off the street like it was nothing, he's a business owner, the list goes on.

And all you can do is bitch about him like a jilted friggin woman.

BAHAHAHAHA

! Phone Post
2/8/13 9:07 PM
Slap Maxwell
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great quote.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.