UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DW: "I just have no respect for Frank Shamrock"

2/9/13 1:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MrColdCock
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No kidding bias against Frank.

"had he beat sak, royce, rua, vanderlei, chuck, or any of the other killers from 2000-on than MAYBE he can be considered a high-caliber fighter."

So he has to FINISH Tito, Lober, Enson, Jackson, Zinoviev, Horn as then go on to beat one of those guys... Then MAYBE he would have been high caliber? For some reason he would have to wait until 2005 to fight Shogun (that would somehow solidify his status in 1998). Or beat a Wand who was 0-1 in the UFC while Shamrock was the champ. Or beat Chuck who was getting choked out by Horn. What he did in the late 90's doesn't count because years later there would be other food fighters? GTFO with that shit.

While Frank was UFC champ he was at worst the second best non HW on the planet. That's is high caliber. Accept it. Phone Post
2/9/13 1:47 AM
Rickson's Aura
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank is a legend and made an impact in the UFC, pancrase, and Strikeforce. His first two fights in the UFC were title fights. One was his debut and the other was a title unification bout. He finished both fights and the time it took for both fights was under 90 seconds. His next fight was a ground battle with him threatening Jeremy Horn with submissions but losing the position battle. He then pulls out the submission victory by kneebar in overtime. Then he toys with the last guy that beat him John Lober in a grudge match that was his 4th title fight. Then in what was probably the biggest match in the UFC till that point, Frank Shamrock made the bigger stronger challenger Tito Ortiz tap out to strikes in a fight that like Maurice Smith/Coleman taught people a lesson in the importance of conditioning. The fight itself had the hype, storyline, and lived up to it all.

That 5 fight run as a champion had dominant finishes, a slam KO, submission victory in OT, and one of the most memorable fights in UFC history. He was also the guy who carried the UFC during the dark ages. Dana was probably boxercizing at that time.

As for people saying he never fought anyone outside the ufc that was that good ...To get a chance to fight in the UFC he had to beat Enson Inoue. In his next fight Enson submitted Randy Couture who left the UFC as the HW champ. Keep in mind Frank fought guys bigger than him like Tsuyoshi Kohsaka, Enson Inoue, Tito Ortiz, and Jeremy Horn and came out on top against them all.
2/9/13 1:51 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank vs Tito is one of my favourite fights ever. Mad props to cm81 for knowing what the fuck is up.
2/9/13 1:52 AM
MrColdCock
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed he could have done more. Nobody wanted to see that guy fight more then me. His accomplishments and standing history can't be denied though.

" the brightest stars shine for the shortest time" .... Bitch. Phone Post
2/9/13 2:06 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Shamrock is a legend, he absolutely deserves to be in the UFC HOF. Anyone who disagrees couldn't have been an MMA fan at the time. There's no way you could witness Franks run, and Franks badass retirement, and not think he deserves to be in the UFC HOF.
2/9/13 3:07 AM
CindyO

big_roy_fan - why does frank deserve to be in the UFC hall of fame?

he had 5 fights in the UFC then he punked out.. look at the track record of the other fights in the HOF.

Royce, Severen, Couture, Liddell, Ortiz, Hughes have all done much more for the UFC then Frank Shamrock, adding him into the UFC HOF would kind of devalue the title of "UFC HOF'er"

He definitely belongs in the MMA Hall of Fame and since Kirik owns that (IIRC) I think Frank will absolutely be a candidate.

Cindy

2/9/13 3:13 AM
cm81
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After reading all the posts, I think it is clear that most of us who followed the sport back then are aware of how much Frank actually achieved.

It's extremely sad, that fans today rubbish Kevin Jackson and Zinoviev as low level competition.

Kevin Jackson was a GOLD medallist wrestler. Ok? He destroyed everyone he fought in MMA and was pegged to be champ in the UFC for a long time. And he would have... But Frank, a HUGE underdog, finished him with an armbar in 15 secs or so.

Same for Zinoviev. He made Mario Sperry quit, at a time when Carlson Gracie's guys were steamrolling everyone. Frank, in theory, was a weaker fighter and supposed to lose, but shocked everyone by slam KO'ing him like it was nothing.

Of course, neither Jackson nor Zinoviev became UFC legends. But that was because Frank ended their careers. You have to understand they both decimated everyone else they faced... At a time when competition was arguably tougher outside of the UFC. Phone Post
2/9/13 3:44 AM
George Hill

Mr. Negative, you're full of it because you insinuated Frank ducked Royce Gracie.

You know full well Frank would have mopped the floor with Royce Gracie by that point, and that he kept trying to get a match with Sakuraba but it was Pride that didn't want to put Sakuraba in with him.

And saying what injury he had before Diaz is ignorant. It was well known he went into that fight with broken ribs. There was an article about it before the fight ever took place.

He fought Baroni 12 days after completely tearing his ACL and still won.

Who is the only man in UFC history to win 2 different championship matches in less than a minute?

Who has the most career submissions in UFC title matches?

How many guys in history went 5-0 for their career in UFC title matches who are not in the Hall of Fame except Anderson Silva, who is most definitely getting in?
2/9/13 4:04 AM
yabadaba
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/09/13 4:05 AM
big_roy_fan - 
CindyO - He definitely belongs in the MMA Hall of Fame and since Kirik owns that (IIRC) I think Frank will absolutely be a candidate.

Cindy

i agree he could belong in an MMA hall of fame, but he doesn't belong in the UFC HOF.

That makes no sense IMO. Why should he be in an MMA HOF of fame but not a UFC HOF when most of his big wins were in the UFC? 

Is there anybody on this thread who can truthfully answer yes to all of the following questions who does not think Frank belongs in the UFC HOF?

a) I am not associated with the UFC

b) I was not a training partner of one of Frank's opponents 

c) I actually watched Zinoviev vs Lober, Jackson vs Shamrock, etc. at the time they happened

2/9/13 4:19 AM
DieTrying
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For those of you who think Frank got lucky on the Igor slam, all I can say is Frank drilled that slam for few days straight at AKA right before the fight...

Frank, like him or hate him, helped put MMA where it is today. The people and students he worked with and no doubt influence back then like crazy Bob, BJ Penn, Javier Mendez, and others went on to help grow MMA. If you watch his fights, especially his UFC fights, you will see someone that is always flowing and working which is the epitome of modern MMA: insane cardio, strong foundation, well rounded game.
2/9/13 5:36 AM
Kenso
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_roy_fan - 
CindyO - 
big_roy_fan - why does frank deserve to be in the UFC hall of fame?

he had 5 fights in the UFC then he punked out.. look at the track record of the other fights in the HOF.

Royce, Severen, Couture, Liddell, Ortiz, Hughes have all done much more for the UFC then Frank Shamrock, adding him into the UFC HOF would kind of devalue the title of "UFC HOF'er"

He definitely belongs in the MMA Hall of Fame and since Kirik owns that (IIRC) I think Frank will absolutely be a candidate.

Cindy

i agree he could belong in an MMA hall of fame, but he doesn't belong in the UFC HOF.

Is Cindy saying he belongs in the UFC HOF?
2/9/13 9:40 AM
Andy Rigg
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cm81 - 
Ip Man 81 -
big_roy_fan - why does frank deserve to be in the UFC hall of fame?

Frank Shamrock has no business in the UFC hof. Not that he wasn't a decent fighter, but he just wasn't that high a caliber fighter. Phone Post
Wow.

Let me tell you son, as a 01'er... Back in the day Kevin Jackson and Igor Zinoviev were the Jon Jones and Anderson Silvas and were running over everyone.

Then Frank came along and ended their fighting careers.

So don't tell me about not facing high level caliber fighters. He faced the best of his time and completely destroyed them.

Don't you ever dare to rewrite history. Phone Post

vtfu frank shamrock absolutely deserves to be in. no-one seems to be mentioning charles lewis' place in it either.
2/9/13 9:41 AM
rockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

George Hill - Mr. Negative, you're full of it because you insinuated Frank ducked Royce Gracie.

You know full well Frank would have mopped the floor with Royce Gracie by that point, and that he kept trying to get a match with Sakuraba but it was Pride that didn't want to put Sakuraba in with him.

And saying what injury he had before Diaz is ignorant. It was well known he went into that fight with broken ribs. There was an article about it before the fight ever took place.

Who is the only man in UFC history to win 2 different championship matches in less than a minute?

How many guys in history went 5-0 for their career in UFC title matches who are not in the Hall of Fame except Anderson Silva, who is most definitely getting in?
George Hill knows what's up! Phone Post
2/9/13 9:51 AM
In Limbo
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ip Man 81 - 

Frank Shamrock has no business in the UFC hof. Not that he wasn't a decent fighter, but he just wasn't that high a caliber fighter. Phone Post

wow you both are stupid idiots

you only know of shammy via wikipedia

typical posts from Fox noobs with '12 and '13 join dates

2/9/13 10:14 AM
Mismatch
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only reason Frank isn't in the UFC HoF is because of his actions outside of the cage and his troubles with Dana/Zuffa, not because of what he did inside of the cage.

2/9/13 10:25 AM
ChaosOverkill
738 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rockwell - 
George Hill - Mr. Negative, you're full of it because you insinuated Frank ducked Royce Gracie.

George Hill knows what's up! Phone Post

this

2/9/13 10:35 AM
cleetdog101
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana hates and has "no respect" for anyone & everyone who DOESNT wave the UFC flag. Its just standard business spin-doctoring: we're the best & everyone else sucks. I take Dana about as seriously as I do my ex wife - i.e. I consider the source.
2/9/13 10:39 AM
Biggy
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the fact that Frank vs Tito wasn't put into the best fights of all time, let alone top ten, says a lot about the characters running the organization. Phone Post
2/9/13 10:50 AM
RollHighAllDay
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The demise of the UFC is going to be their giant ego. Phone Post
2/9/13 10:59 AM
Jaybrone
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only reason Frank is not in the HOF is because of Dana butt hurt. Look at it like this if Randy wasn't in the HOF already and had done this new Bellator deal Dana would never put him in.

2/9/13 11:11 AM
gabemadrid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jaybrone -

The only reason Frank is not in the HOF is because of Dana butt hurt. Look at it like this if Randy wasn't in the HOF already and had done this new Bellator deal Dana would never put him in.

- Phone Post
2/9/13 11:43 AM
Dougie
1102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/09/13 11:44 AM
benjitsu13 - 
cm81 - 
Ip Man 81 -

Wow.

Let me tell you son, as a 01'er... Back in the day Kevin Jackson and Igor Zinoviev were the Jon Jones and Anderson Silvas and were running over everyone.

So don't tell me about not facing high level caliber fighters. He faced the best of his time and completely destroyed them.

Let me tell you something "gramps". As an "01'r" you should be smart enough to know that using someone's age in a derogatory way never makes you look like anything but a tool. Then again, if you did know that and have been on the UG for more than a decade, you would likely have more than a 13 rating. I am not even disagreeing with what you are saying, just that when you parse things in this way, you invalidate yourself. Food for thought...

IpMan got owned and sat down by cm81

It was the truth. It was spot on.

2/9/13 11:55 AM
Symbolic
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_roy_fan -
cm81 - 
Ip Man 81 -

Wow.

Okay? that still doesn't make him UFC HOF worthy. Look at the guys who are in there. They've all put in work and were on good terms with UFC.
Frank left after winning the belt
He didn't leave after winning the belt, he became champ after beating Jackson, and defended it against Lober, Horn, Igor, and Ortiz. He does deserve to be in the HOF, his fight with Tito had one of the biggest impacts on MMA as a sport, he showed how to be a truly well rounded fighter at the time and how important conditioning is. Phone Post
2/9/13 12:02 PM
FloridaStriker

Edited: 02/09/13 12:03 PM
This is a very interesting topic. It clearly draws lines between the affliction wearing, monster drinking, tatted up stereotypical TUF fans and MMA fans who got into MMA through fighting not because of a TV show

I think thats exactly what Frank is trying to do. Help MMA leave the direction its pointed in. Land of douchebaggery and ignorance
2/9/13 12:08 PM
In Limbo
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

benjitsu13 - 
In Limbo - 
Ip Man 81 - 

wow you both are stupid idiots

you only know of shammy via wikipedia

typical posts from Fox noobs with '12 and '13 join dates

I don't go in for the whole "judging via year of joining" bull, but if you are going to pull that, at least do it with a few more years under your belt than +1 or +2 on the guys you are trashing. Next time try for a valid point instead of phony elitism.Ass.

shut up 12er

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.