UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DW: "I just have no respect for Frank Shamrock"

2/9/13 9:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Driscoll
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ip Man 81 - 
Driscoll - Frank never coached on TUF, so he shouldn't be in.

Watching Ip Man and Mr. Negative get destroyed on this thread has been very entertaining. Phone Post
Lol at this guy...Coaching TUF shouldn't be a prerequisite for the UFC hof. U sure ur a fighter? Phone Post

Ha! Put the shovel down while you still can.

2/9/13 9:44 PM
TedGlad
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only reason that this is even a question: Frank left in his prime. People that watched him fight know / new he was a destroyer in his weight class. Its unfortunate when money / value come into play and we lose prime careers because of it. Phone Post
2/9/13 10:49 PM
Gordo1581
463 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poop Doodle -  Where is the UFC HOF located? Phone Post

It's on the wall at the Ultimate Fighter gym.

It's very prestigious.
2/9/13 11:57 PM
PhallicObjekt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank was undefeated in the UFC. 5 fights or not undefeated in the UFC means you are along side a handful of fighters.

How many UFC fighters have 5 fight win streaks? Im curious about that as well I cant see it being more than 25 fighters.

2/10/13 12:54 AM
Rickson's Aura
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank was 5-0 in title fights. He finished all of his title fights in different ways and not a single fight of his was boring. How many UFC fighters can you say that about? He was also the UFC's main guy when he retired as champ.
2/10/13 2:42 AM
NitroSantanaCFH

If you don't understand why Dana is calling Frank a clown for challenging him to a fight, you're dumb.

If you think this is an issue of who would win if they actually fought, you're REALLY dumb.

Point is, a professional fighter looks like a childish idiot calling out anyone who isn't a fighter. Especially, an old fat guy.
2/10/13 8:54 AM
Stephen Eakin
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reading threads like these make me really wish I was able to follow the sport back then. Even watching the old fights now doesn't give the feel of the time. Phone Post
2/10/13 9:35 AM
triso
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NitroSantanaCFH - If you don't understand why Dana is calling Frank a clown for challenging him to a fight, you're dumb.

If you think this is an issue of who would win if they actually fought, you're REALLY dumb.

Point is, a professional fighter looks like a childish idiot calling out anyone who isn't a fighter. Especially, an old fat guy.

Right but it's cool for Dana to constantly degrade and insult Frank on camera.
2/10/13 10:52 AM
Perfer Et Obdura
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NitroSantanaCFH - Point is, a professional fighter looks like a childish idiot calling out anyone who isn't a fighter.

What are you talking about? Dana has had hundreds of boxing matches.

Just ask him.
2/10/13 10:53 AM
Dougie
934 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen Eakin -  Reading threads like these make me really wish I was able to follow the sport back then. Even watching the old fights now doesn't give the feel of the time. Phone Post

In the 90's I was doing karate when the UFC rolled out. It was like the wild west. Everyone wanted to prove their art was the best. I was already doing some cross training with boxing but the the UFC made you either 1) Open your eyes and try new things, or 2) cling to your own art being everything.

Suddenly it was ok to train at other gyms in other arts and for a lot of people this was great. Some places would never get there and closed their doors to cross trainers. It was their way or no way.

I remember ads in Black Belt mag from Pather Productions changing from "learn this deadly art" to "Can you stop UFC fighter X? Learn how to do what he does!"

You don't have that feeling today. Everyone is ok with doing any art and kids grow up not even learning an art but just starting MMA.

Back then, with so few events every fight you could find on video was gold! You had to scour the net and be in contact with people to trade tapes. Hell the internet was still new! Every fight meant something about the fighter and the art they trained in.

I honestly feel those days were awesome and it's too bad that you younger guys missed it.

2/10/13 12:04 PM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ImA2TimeLoser - 
cm81 -
Ip Man 81 -
big_roy_fan - why does frank deserve to be in the UFC hall of fame?

he had 5 fights in the UFC then he punked out.. look at the track record of the other fights in the HOF.

Royce, Severen, Couture, Liddell, Ortiz, Hughes have all done much more for the UFC then Frank Shamrock, adding him into the UFC HOF would kind of devalue the title of "UFC HOF'er"
Frank Shamrock has no business in the UFC hof. Not that he wasn't a decent fighter, but he just wasn't that high a caliber fighter. Phone Post
Wow.

Let me tell you son, as a 01'er... Back in the day Kevin Jackson and Igor Zinoviev were the Jon Jones and Anderson Silvas and were running over everyone.

Then Frank came along and ended their fighting careers.

So don't tell me about not facing high level caliber fighters. He faced the best of his time and completely destroyed them.

Don't you ever dare to rewrite history. Phone Post
Wow, talk about getting sat the fuck down Phone Post

Here here, the closest argument a person can say against Shamrock's entrance to the HOF is the amount of fights he had before leaving, but to say he wasn't high caliber just exposes yourself as a fucking kid trying to talk with the grown ups.

Shamrock was the first truly rounded MMA fighter; a real hybrid with no holes to exploit
GTFO out and VTFU cm81
2/10/13 12:08 PM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although this is completely independent of my thoughts on Frank as a person.

I find him to be hilariously cunty, mainly how he'll hate on bullying, then in the next sentence go off on how he wants to break so and so's legs - and it didn't help when Swick called him out on being a hypocryite.

Also, never classy to call out a fatter, aging man who's just had major surgery and has dedicated his life to business, not turning his body into a honed weapon

You're a godamn legend Frank, don't go around bragging how easily you can fuck up Dana. It's one thing to say how he deserves a beating, but I've lost count how many times he's gone into vivid detail, bragging about how easy he could fuck up BLAF... No shit Frank
2/10/13 12:09 PM
MattyECB

But ya -- doesn't make Shamrock any less significant historically, any less significant in terms of impact on training and the sport as a whole, or any less significant in terms of the incredible incredible resume he amassed before retiring
2/10/13 12:13 PM
MattyECB

Dougie - 
Stephen Eakin -  Reading threads like these make me really wish I was able to follow the sport back then. Even watching the old fights now doesn't give the feel of the time. Phone Post

In the 90's I was doing karate when the UFC rolled out. It was like the wild west. Everyone wanted to prove their art was the best. I was already doing some cross training with boxing but the the UFC made you either 1) Open your eyes and try new things, or 2) cling to your own art being everything.

Suddenly it was ok to train at other gyms in other arts and for a lot of people this was great. Some places would never get there and closed their doors to cross trainers. It was their way or no way.

I remember ads in Black Belt mag from Pather Productions changing from "learn this deadly art" to "Can you stop UFC fighter X? Learn how to do what he does!"

You don't have that feeling today. Everyone is ok with doing any art and kids grow up not even learning an art but just starting MMA.

Back then, with so few events every fight you could find on video was gold! You had to scour the net and be in contact with people to trade tapes. Hell the internet was still new! Every fight meant something about the fighter and the art they trained in.

I honestly feel those days were awesome and it's too bad that you younger guys missed it.

That's really cool, I started following MMA when I was ten in 2000, but I didn't actually train boxing or MT until much later

Must've been such a unique experience to live through that culture and experience the insane shift in training and philosophy during that period

Someone'll be getting a VU when my faggoty mud namer limit passes lol
2/10/13 12:18 PM
badboyhere

i was at that fight in lake charles when frank kicked titos ass and also another when he beat igor(short fight)...it was a beautiful night, except for the louisiana swamp rat next to me that kept yelling "stick your finger in his ass."

on a side note: frank was a great fighter period! he even hung in there with the likes of bas rutten "shortly" after he began training.. freak athlete working out with 225lbs squats at 45 reps... he was entertaining and tough as hell.. made some bad and good decisions in his career and the worst came shortly after the first UFC in vegas, in which he said he would not fight for less than $500k. he pissed off dana and overpriced himself.. such as life.. im sure he would do a few things over again and make better choices, but hall of fame worthy, im not sure.. if his name wasnt shamrock, would he be as memorable? up for discussion..

my opinion:

if the ufc had a hall of fame 10 years ago, he would be in it.

now, its doubtful.
2/10/13 12:37 PM
Dougie
934 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MattyECB - 
Dougie - 

That's really cool, I started following MMA when I was ten in 2000, but I didn't actually train boxing or MT until much later

Must've been such a unique experience to live through that culture and experience the insane shift in training and philosophy during that period

It was weird. A lot of people trained their own style and god forbid you should train in another or at another gym. The UFC ripped holes in those ideas and it was pretty ugly at the time.

Now it's nothing to train at a few gyms. It's like specialized medicine with each gym offering something to the fighter. Hell, some guys train at several gyms but have a coach who belongs to none of them! Back in the day if you tried that you'd be thrown out of the school!

The differences today and then are remarkable.

2/10/13 2:35 PM
MrColdCock
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ ya, I feel sorry for the younger guys that didn't get to experience the early days. On the other hand, they aren't broken down grumpy old fucks, so I guess it evens out. Phone Post
2/10/13 8:32 PM
Emphatik
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cm81 - 
benjitsu13 -
cm81 - 
Ip Man 81 -

he had 5 fights in the UFC then he punked out.. look at the track record of the other fights in the HOF.

Royce, Severen, Couture, Liddell, Ortiz, Hughes have all done much more for the UFC then Frank Shamrock, adding him into the UFC HOF would kind of devalue the title of "UFC HOF'er"
Frank Shamrock has no business in the UFC hof. Not that he wasn't a decent fighter, but he just wasn't that high a caliber fighter. Phone Post
Wow.

Let me tell you son, as a 01'er... Back in the day Kevin Jackson and Igor Zinoviev were the Jon Jones and Anderson Silvas and were running over everyone.

So don't tell me about not facing high level caliber fighters. He faced the best of his time and completely destroyed them.

Let me tell you something "gramps". As an "01'r" you should be smart enough to know that using someone's age in a derogatory way never makes you look like anything but a tool. Then again, if you did know that and have been on the UG for more than a decade, you would likely have more than a 13 rating. I am not even disagreeing with what you are saying, just that when you parse things in this way, you invalidate yourself. Food for thought...
Ok son, maybe one day 10 yrs from now, some punk kid who just started to watch MMA will tell you that Jon Jones was only mediocre and only faced low caliber fighters like Shogun, Machida and Rampage. When that happens, see if you can be as restrained as I was.

"Gramps" Phone Post

quality posts all through this thread by cm81.
2/10/13 8:40 PM
Emphatik
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yabadaba - 
big_roy_fan - 
CindyO - He definitely belongs in the MMA Hall of Fame and since Kirik owns that (IIRC) I think Frank will absolutely be a candidate.

Cindy

i agree he could belong in an MMA hall of fame, but he doesn't belong in the UFC HOF.

That makes no sense IMO. Why should he be in an MMA HOF of fame but not a UFC HOF when most of his big wins were in the UFC? 

Is there anybody on this thread who can truthfully answer yes to all of the following questions who does not think Frank belongs in the UFC HOF?

a) I am not associated with the UFC

b) I was not a training partner of one of Frank's opponents 

c) I actually watched Zinoviev vs Lober, Jackson vs Shamrock, etc. at the time they happened

great post, interestingly NO ONE has touched it.

2/10/13 9:03 PM
JBASS
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dougie - 
MattyECB - 
Dougie - 

It was weird. A lot of people trained their own style and god forbid you should train in another or at another gym. The UFC ripped holes in those ideas and it was pretty ugly at the time.

Now it's nothing to train at a few gyms. It's like specialized medicine with each gym offering something to the fighter. Hell, some guys train at several gyms but have a coach who belongs to none of them! Back in the day if you tried that you'd be thrown out of the school!

The differences today and then are remarkable.

Good post, VTFU. What we are seeing nowadays with people training at different gyms is essentially what Bruce Lee believed when he was alive - to cross train in different martial arts. 

2/10/13 9:12 PM
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Shamrocks are so willing to do anything to stay relevant it is disgusting.
2/10/13 11:31 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

303 - The Shamrocks are so willing to do anything to stay relevant it is disgusting.
The Shamrocks are a huge reason why the sport is at the level it is at today.

Specifically for this thread and this topic, Frank Shamrock recently flew from San Diego to NYC to argue on the Senate floor for why MMA should be sanctioned in New York. They've dedicated hours and days and years of their lives to this sport and it's development.

Show some respect. Phone Post
2/11/13 12:15 AM
SamboReigns
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 
303 - The Shamrocks are so willing to do anything to stay relevant it is disgusting.
The Shamrocks are a huge reason why the sport is at the level it is at today.

Specifically for this thread and this topic, Frank Shamrock recently flew from San Diego to NYC to argue on the Senate floor for why MMA should be sanctioned in New York. They've dedicated hours and days and years of their lives to this sport and it's development.

Show some respect. Phone Post

Agreed with Funaki, Shamrock brothers have done so much for the sport of mixed martial arts. Ken has already been inducted into the Ufc HOF, hopefully Dana will do the right thing and induct Frank Shamrock as well one day. I stayed a devoted fan because of the earlier pioneers of the sport.
2/11/13 8:07 AM
JTRipper
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_roy_fan -
cm81 - 
Ip Man 81 -

Wow.

Okay? that still doesn't make him UFC HOF worthy. Look at the guys who are in there. They've all put in work and were on good terms with UFC.
Frank left after winning the belt
Being on good terms with Dana White shouldn't be a condition for a legit Hall of Fame Phone Post
2/11/13 8:33 AM
Lazer MMA

cm81 - 
Ip Man 81 -

Wow.

VTFU

At the end of the day though, that's all we get today! Even about what happened back then and in PRIDe too!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.