UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Rahsaan Roland Kirk

2/8/13 11:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/08/13 11:34 PM

Rahsaan. He was a miracle.

One of the great soloists in history, only he would sometimes do it with three horns, a nose flute, and various percussion all by himself.

There was never anyone like Rahsaan Roland Kirk. For real.

2/8/13 11:39 PM
Ali
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously.

2/8/13 11:47 PM
Ali

Earlier. From 1961. Seriously.

2/8/13 11:56 PM
Ali

And for the most fun audience-participation music ever maybe, Here Comes the Whistleman:

2/9/13 12:02 AM
Ali

And just because the nose flute is so prominent in the intro...

2/11/13 4:42 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many brains did this guy have? Stunning.
I've heard him but never thought to actually watch him doing.
Boggles my puny mind.
2/12/13 1:11 AM
Ali

DasBeaver - How many brains did this guy have? Stunning.
I've heard him but never thought to actually watch him doing.
Boggles my puny mind.

It's better the way you did it. I played a video of Rahsaan at Montreux for a friend once. A mindblowing performance that starts off like match being lit and doesn't do anything but flame higher over the next 90-plus minutes. You keep thinking it's gotten as intense as it can, and he just doubles it....

And my friend, a very sensitive and good musician, just kind of yawned and said "so that's his whole thing, he plays a couple/few horns at once?"

It can look like a gimmick if you don't listen first, I guess.
2/13/13 1:30 PM
hugomma
939 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/13/13 1:42 PM

VTFU.

I've listed to Roland Kirk before, but I wasn't familar with these clips.  Thanks for sharing.  A fascinating musician, and another guy I need to hear more of.

2/16/13 1:27 AM
Ali

I'm bumping it just because. There are several vids here... and I can't believe any of them. Guy was just something nobody saw coming. Insane.
2/16/13 3:00 AM
hugomma
939 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - Rahsaan. He was a miracle.

One of the great soloists in history, only he would sometimes do it with three horns, a nose flute, and various percussion all by himself.

There was never anyone like Rahsaan Roland Kirk. For real.

Just listened to this again.  You know what gets me?  The fun factor. 

Within that insane mix of soul, hard bop, & free jazz, there's this child like sense of play.  Of course, the grooves & overall musicianship are out of this world (like what he does with the original melody.  Or the way he blends blues and free ideas in his solo.  Or that sweet diminished lick that starts around 4:37.  Or the way they speed up at the end).  But the raw emotion is what gets me the most.  I hear the same kind spontaneous joy in Kirk and his band that I see in my son and his friends have when they're at play.  To me, that sense of joy is as prevalent in Kirk's music as Trane's spiritual quest was in his.

On the other hand, the audience's reaction is weird to me.  The chicks at 4:44 look confused.  Like, they're trying to over analyze or understand what's going on, rather than enjoying it for what it is. 

I think fun is of the key things missing in a lot of music these days.  And listening to something like this is pure joy.

2/16/13 3:09 AM
hugomma

Edited: 02/16/13 3:11 AM

I'll comment on the rest of this out later, but this is some seriously good shit.  TTT.

2/16/13 2:14 PM
hugomma

Ali - Seriously.

Now here's a crowd that gets it. 

You know there's this R&B-ish, Saturday Night Live/Happy Sax/repeating motiff sax players do sometimes.  I persoanlly I dislike about as much as I dislike hippy jam bands.  Kirk flirts a bit with that here after that killer opening blues solo riff in the beginning, but I love the way he does it.  It's just a small part of his avalanche of ideas.  Like the way he quotes the "Na-Na-Na-Nana-Na-Na" part of "Hey Jude" around 2:01.  Love how the band speed up around 5:18 and works itself into a frenzy. 

2/21/13 1:56 AM
hugomma

Ali - Earlier. From 1961. Seriously.

Just watched the 1st couple of minutes here, up untill the German TV host started talking.  LOVED that lick that starts at 1:04.  Man what a player, even without the multiple brains/horns thing.

3/16/13 1:43 AM
hugomma

Edited: 03/16/13 1:46 AM
Ali - And for the most fun audience-participation music ever maybe, Here Comes the Whistleman:

The crowd whistling & chirping along with the band gave a simple blusey melody a bizzare avant jazz feel.  And that flock of pigeons at the end perfectly captures the sound & mood.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.