UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Paris Grand Slam---Saturday Day 1

2/8/13 11:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/09/13 12:03 AM

The first Grand Slam event of the new quadrennial begins in less than 4 hours.   Over the next two days, 388 of the world's best competitors will be competing on 5 mats.

The preliminaries start at 9:00am and the finals at 4:00pm Paris local time.  That translates into 12:00am and 7:00am Pacific.  Going to be a long night for us west coasters.

This is the first major test of the new rules and how they will be enforced. It will be interesting to see what adjustments coaches and players have made in the first 60 days.

All the matches will be webcast and you can watch them live at this link:

http://212.227.28.227/live/index.php

WARNING: You will need plugins for Firefox and Chrome if you want to use those browsers to watch them live. The Firefox plugin has to be manually installed.  I've simply used IE which I normally hate for the webcasts because it seems the webcast software is optimized for it.

You can see the pools here:

http://217.79.182.227/www.judo-world.net/ijf/grand_slam/2013_paris/tta_menue.php?modus=1024&sprache=english

American Nick Delpopolo makes his return to international competition and is scheduled to be the 3rd match on Mat 5.  You can select which mat you want to watch at any time. I've never had more than one window open so I'm not sure if you can have them all going at once. I'm going to get a laptop set up next to my desktop so I can have two screens going.

The divisions for the first day are  Mens 60kg, 66kg and 73kg. For the Women it is 48kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg.

I'm going to be busy trying to collect as much data as I can from the matches. However, if you cannot watch a match for some reason, I can try to give you a recap here.  Just let me know what matches you are interested in.

Well, I usually get up at 3:00am, so I'll be up 21 hours by the time it starts. I hope I can stay up all night to do this. Get's a lot harder when you move into your 50's.  If you watch the tournament and have any interesting thoughts or observations, please post them here.

2/9/13 9:35 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, appreciate the info. Only US male fighters I see are Brad bolen(66k) and Nick Delpoppolo(73k). The matches I have watched had no ground work unless it was a follow-up after a yuko/wazari score. Taking away the leg grabs(counter/follow-up)removed some of the unpredictability of judo.
2/9/13 9:45 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finals for US Eastern time zone is 10AM, Prelims 3 AM.
2/9/13 11:26 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I only watched the first 2 1/2 hours of the prelims.  Had to get some sleep before the finals.  A few minutes before the gold medal matches.

Delpopolo got lucky in his first match because he was down on penalties against the Algerian player and the ALG attacked drop seoinage then turned towards Nick and grabbed a leg. He got hansoku make. Nick lost his next match

Hanna Martin did very well against the FRA player. She was down waza-ari early but matched it. Unfortunately, she penaltied out.  Brad Bolen beat his first opponent a TUR player with a nice okuri eri jime.  DelPopolo lost his second match by two waza-aris. It was the last match I watched, I didn't write down the techniques, and honestly don't remember what they were.  Did not watch the other Americans as I had to get some sleep.

Typing this in between finals matches.  Gotta get back to the gold medal matches.

2/9/13 11:29 AM
OCJudoTrngCtr

Edited: 02/09/13 12:34 PM

Japan takes gold in 48kg and 60kg.  60kg player hit a beautiful hip throw from a left sided grip. Could not figure out if it was an O Goshi or some modified uchimata.  It happened so fast and no instant replay.

2/9/13 2:58 PM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the reminder. Videos have been posted at Greek judo portal. Sobirov not having similar levels of success at 66kg. Kim Won Jin seemed off on his fight against the Georgian. I know KWJ is a bit reckless and that's what makes him exciting, but in this case it seemed like he threw too much caution to the wind or just didn't care.

Looking forward to Gonzalez and Iliadis competing in their respective brackets on the second day.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.