UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Disc herniation surgery?

2/9/13 9:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CodeGeek
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have surgery to fix a herniated disc? I blew out a disc a few months ago rolling, and since then it's gotten progressively worse. The disc is pressing up against the nerves now, causing severe pain, so I have to have it hacked out. I'm curious if anyone else has gone through this, and what the recovery was like. How soon were you able to train again?
2/9/13 8:14 PM
tmedine
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep had c5 c6 fuzed. 6 wells in a neck brace. 3 months no training what so ever. Start with drilling and maybe light rolling after, choose partners wisely. In a year out and back to 100%. Inverting still gives me some issues but just have to build game around it. Good luck! Phone Post
2/9/13 8:14 PM
tmedine
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weeks not wells Phone Post
2/9/13 8:59 PM
Ray Blackburn
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Laminectomy discectomy here.

Doctor gave me my life back. Phone Post
2/10/13 10:47 AM
CodeGeek
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ray Blackburn -  Laminectomy discectomy here.

Doctor gave me my life back. Phone Post

I think that's what I'm getting. How soon were you able to train?
2/12/13 9:54 PM
Muzalini
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Giraffix Inc, Graphic Designer
Going in the 27th of Feb for a facet nerve ablation that is supposed to cut off the nerve signals for 6-18 months Phone Post
2/13/13 12:37 AM
treintero

I have 2 hernias C7/6 and C6/5. Here's the short timeline..

Train BJJ 6 months
Begin to have pain behind R shoulder and throughout neck
This goes on for a few months until my R index and middle finger go numb
Get MRI
Told to get fusion surgery
Took time to investigate
Bought books my John Sarno MD
Decided "fuck that," about the surgery
Worked on Sarno's method and did PT
Went back to training BJJ after 7 months off
Been back over a year now and train 4-5 a week and compete
The END

Do your homework. It's your body and you are only given one. Educate the fuck out of yourself before you go under the knife. Just my advice.
Best of luck!

2/14/13 11:41 AM
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am undergoing therapy for two herniated discs right now. Lower back. L5 and s1 maybe? Not 100% sure

My PT actually told me I need to start looking for a new hobby. He said I will probably be able to to train in 6 minths or so, but it only takes the one time to really mess.yourself up for life, and my back will never be the same even after this rehab stint.... so I dunno what I'm gonna do.

I will need to see how I feel after the therapy and plan accordingly Phone Post
2/14/13 5:01 PM
treintero

cumprido1,

Do yourself a huge favor and educate yourself on the frequency of disk herniations in adults. ALL disks degenerate in our late 20's and MOST athletes have herniated/protruding disks somewhere along the spine though MOST people do not know about them as they cause no pain.
I cannot recommend enough reading Sarno's books. I would not be training today had I listened to my doctors (well, actually I got 5 opinions and 4 said surgery, the 5th was familiar with Sarno and told me NOT to get the operation..)
2/14/13 5:36 PM
zunk1
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

got an MRI last night have been dealing with a neck issue that has caused constant neck pain for something like 3 years now that only has gotten worse. i may be in this boat too.

2/14/13 6:42 PM
Werewolf1085

I think the Sarno stuff is a bunch of crap to be honest. If a disc is pressing on a nerve and it does not go away for months, it's time to actually treat the problem. Approach it with Chiropractic care, Anti-inflammatory prescription strength and rest. If that does not make things better then Epidrual's is the next step and after that is Discectomy. I just had a Endoscopic Discectomy done on my L5-S1 and I am 95% better 4 weeks after the surgery. The procedure was the most minimally invasive possible, small incision done arthroscopicly with nothing removed other than the herniation.
2/14/13 7:48 PM
cortXbomb

How young are you guys getting surgery?

I'm 28.

Bulging C4-C5. Herniated C5-C6 and C6-C7.

I've been suffering for 3 years. Living without being on the mats has me very depressed.

Nobody will do surgery because of my age.

My neurologist says any surgery will probably have to be re-done every 10 years or so.

I've had cortisone, helps for like a week. PT I don't even feel like I can do because I feel so shitty.

I'm about to get on testosterone to try to help rebuild strength but at this point I'm thinking surgery might be the only thing that can save me.
2/14/13 9:05 PM
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes. I'm aware that most athletes have bulging discs and or herniated discs they have few symptoms for.

I just know that I have lost tons of strength over the past 6 -8 months. My hip mobility is awful, so we've been focusing on that as well. My tight hips and hammies led to the back problems.

PT said that my hips are just not quite normal in range of motion. Said it wasn't really something that we could drastcially improve, it's just the way I'm built.

Surgery was a last resort option and the surgeon said it just isn't that successful many times so unless the pain was so bad I couldnt walk, then just do the PT and then get another mri to see how it looks. Phone Post
2/15/13 7:12 PM
treintero

Werewolf1085 - I think the Sarno stuff is a bunch of crap to be honest. If a disc is pressing on a nerve and it does not go away for months, it's time to actually treat the problem. Approach it with Chiropractic care, Anti-inflammatory prescription strength and rest. If that does not make things better then Epidrual's is the next step and after that is Discectomy. I just had a Endoscopic Discectomy done on my L5-S1 and I am 95% better 4 weeks after the surgery. The procedure was the most minimally invasive possible, small incision done arthroscopicly with nothing removed other than the herniation.

I am guessing by your post that you have tried out Sarno's stuff and found it lacking. Can you explain why it did not work for you?
2/15/13 7:18 PM
treintero

I am 34 now, 31.5 when the problem started. I lost a TON of weight and strength as my shoulder and neck pain got worse. The atrophy I witnessed in my right arm was scary. At one point I could not do 1 single push-up b/c that arm had gotten so weak. I complete/fight at 72-74kg (158-163lbs). When I could not manage the push-up I was down to 65kg (144lbs).

2/15/13 8:40 PM
zunk1
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just got my mri back two herniations 2mm 5/6 3mm 6/7 what do i doooo?

2/15/13 10:54 PM
Badmonkey

foundationtraining.com
2/18/13 1:22 PM
junkyarddogg24

I've been out for a variety of reasons for 2 years the main one being my neck.

I never had an MRI but I have X-rays that show neck arthritis. It's gotten stronger with pt but I still feel like my neck wouldn't say the daily grind of training.

At its worst a few years back id have horrible headaches after training and I'd throw up every now and then. Phone Post
2/18/13 6:25 PM
cawsie77
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

C4/5 were recommended to be fused. Declined. Researched. Was put on gabapentin and see a chiropractor monthly. Not had a problem in two years. Phone Post
2/20/13 10:13 AM
scrappy

I had C5-6 and C6-7 fused in 2005 after an injury way back in 2001 that nothing helped.  6 months post surgery I was on the mats with TRUSTED, CONTROLLED partner drilling and VERY LIGHT sparring.  Now I train pretty hard.  I do need to watch extreme flextion (chin to chest) or extension.  I have to bridge over my shoulder obviously, avoid stacking and avoid cranks but most chokes are ok.  i also have to watch out for 'bad' guillotines.  I have had flare ups of neck stiffnes and pain but no more radiating arm pain and I'm able to be consistent.  Before surgery I would rest, get treatement, feel better and would return to super light training and aggrevate the injury and be out for  a long time.  BTW I had herniations on both levels with extrusions.

Oh and of all the non-surgical treatments that did help, traction, ART and massage were the only I noticed benefit from.   I continue to get massage 1x per month.  Sometimes 2.  But you have to find a good masseuse, ART person, therapist to do this.

Incidentally I just broke a rib so I'm out for a few weeks... other than that though things have been pretty good.

2/20/13 1:09 PM
eric-burdo
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had a herniated disc (between my L-5 and S-1)since November. It was brutal from about two months. If I tried to stand up, it felt like someone was stabbing me in my right hip. Worst part was I traveled to Thailand for two weeks in mid-November to train Muay Thai and teach Jiu-Jitsu, and although I got through the trainings, I was in pain the entire trip. The 24 hour flights were a nightmare!

I've seen two different orthos at this point, and have been going to physical theraphy for 6 weeks now. I have gotten better for sure, but it looks like I have a ways to go.
Ughhh.
2/20/13 2:15 PM
CodeGeek

I had surgery yesterday and already my leg pain is much improved. They took out a chunk of disc the size of my thumb, and the nerves were bright red from the chafing (normally they are white).

To eric-burdo: Mine was also L5/S1. Turns out that it's the best place to have a disc problem because it's the easiest to get to.

The Sarno stuff is bullshit. Yes, of course there's a mind-body connection, and yes, of course, we can experience physical symptoms from emotional issues. BUT... when you have a ruptured disc that is pressing up against the nerves, getting in touch with why you hate your mother won't fix it.

In 8 weeks I'll be back on the mats. Can't wait.
2/20/13 4:10 PM
Malachy Friedman
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

had a bi lateral discectomy 2 years ago

been in pain the entire two years

see my surgeon in a week and will probably get another surgery

Ive been training but really hindered bc of pain and weakness

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.