UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ben Henderson: If you take PEDS, I'll destroy you

2/9/13 3:18 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Author Sam Sheridan probed Dan Gable's mind for his tremendous 'A Fighters Mind.' Among the topics covered was use of Performance Enhancing Drugs in sports.

"If I knew I was going to wrestle in the finals of the Olympics against a Russian and I knew he had been training specifically to beat me, but then I knew the guy was on steroids, that would HELP me," said Gable. "Whereas some might think 'oh he's cheating,' for me you didn't pay the price. You're not as committed as I am. It'll tear him apart. He may be strong, but all I have to do during that nine minutes of wrestling is loosen one single wire in his brain, make him do something that isn't perfect, and he'll fall apart."

Dan Gable won a gold medal at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Germany without having a single point scored against him. He maintained that attitude as head coach at the University of Iowa. The team won DIV I nationals an unprecedented 16 times from 1976–1997, including nine in a row, a feat unprecedented in college sports.

Gable's attitude around PEDs is embodied in UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson, who addressed the subject during a UFC Fight Club Q&A prior to the UFC 156 weigh ins.

"My thing with the whole steroid thing and whatnot - I understand part of a competitor's nature is to take whatever edge, whatever advantage you can get to be the best," said Henderson. "To that I just say if I'm facing a person - it happened in college wrestling, sadly it shouldn't, but it happened in college wrestling, people on steroids and whatnot - if I know someone is mentally weak enough to take steroids, ‘Oh, I need the extra edge, I need to do this', and they know it's illegal, they know it's wrong and they do it, if you're so mentally weak that you have to take steroids, me, five rounds in the cage with you? I will destroy you. Cause you are mentally weak.

"So I'm all for it, if you want to take drugs go ahead and take drugs. I don't really care, but I'm going to whoop your butt because you are mentally weak and that's where you win fights is in the mental stage. If you're weak enough to break down, I'm going to kill you."

Transcription by fiveknuckles.com

2/9/13 3:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rrg1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/09/13 3:24 PM
-
2/9/13 3:25 PM
shaqitup
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not really true, but it is the right minset to have because there's not much they can do besides lobbying for stricter testing, which even then isn't perfect.

"you're not as committed as I am"

What if this isn't true, couldn't you argue a guy on steroids is more committed? They may not know the side effects of taking such a product, but it's a risk they're willing to take to be victorious and to be as good as they possibly can.

lol at calling benson a featherweight.

I also wouldn't call somebody on steroids mentally weak, yeah in a lot of cases i'm sure they may be but the guys may just want to be as good as they possibly can, and steroids will contribute to that.

IMO these things are easy to say until you're on the losing side of things.

2/9/13 3:27 PM
DoomFarmer
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, ok.

Bisping thought that too. Phone Post
2/9/13 3:29 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ben Henderson is quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters.

2/9/13 3:33 PM
FoluFam

I'm glad Benson came out with it and addressed it as so. Those on PED's (not inc TRT) are mentally weak and the kind of people who will cheat on an exam, pass and show the world without any regrets (Lance Armstrong). I didn't include TRT because those on TRT have proven the mental edge, but physically they're bodies can not keep up. Those on TRT should be allowed 2 years or so before they are not allowed any type of PED to further their careers. Those on TRT don't know nothing else but fighting, and so I say give them a chance but don't leave it limitless.
Vitor though, should fuck off. He isn't mentally weak but he's not mentally stable. He did PED's when he wasn't stable, and is taking PED's whilst 'stable'. Bisping is right, Vitors TRT exemption is only allowing his bad behaviour to be continued. Phone Post
2/9/13 3:33 PM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does UG blog only make duplicate threads? Phone Post
2/9/13 3:37 PM
phillyslice99

By destroy you he means I'll go 5 rounds and take the UD Phone Post
2/9/13 3:42 PM
stonedape

He who smelt it dealt it....

2/9/13 3:44 PM
savage043
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Feather weight champion? Phone Post
2/9/13 3:56 PM
rrg1

Edited: 02/09/13 3:55 PM
^^^ someone is mad lol. and in denial.

...directed at GableGrip
2/9/13 4:08 PM
bruised
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

savage043 - Feather weight champion? Phone Post
Lightweight Champ, IMO. Phone Post
2/9/13 4:13 PM
Smellde Gluve
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/9/13 4:14 PM
shaqitup
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GableGrip - 
Willy the Coyote -  And I know what PED's are. A fighter passing a test doesn't make him clean. Phone Post

You need to get laid and get the fuck out

What's it like being a 50 year old gay virgin?

Not all fighters are on roids

I'd like to see you tell 9/10 fighters they are on roids to there face

Your a bitch

All fighters that have estimated howmany guys are on roids have come in with numbers greater than 50%, and some have said around 80% or 90%.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/26/3693248/ufc-dong-hyun-stun-gun-kim-90-percent-fighters-peds-steroids

2/9/13 4:18 PM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GableGrip - 
Willy the Coyote -  And I know what PED's are. A fighter passing a test doesn't make him clean. Phone Post

You need to get laid and get the fuck out

What's it like being a 50 year old gay virgin?

Not all fighters are on roids

I'd like to see you tell 9/10 fighters they are on roids to there face

Your a bitch

On topic: I have no way of managing anything better than a guess as to the percentage of MMA competitors who are using banned substances. But, some high profile fighters have made statements that they believe it to be at or above 90%.

Off topic: I might be a foob, but I've been around here long enough to know that your account probably isn't going to last a long time. Voted down for being out of line.

2/9/13 4:26 PM
Yo Dont Taze Me

GableGrip - The losers estimate that high
Denial....? Phone Post
2/9/13 4:32 PM
Yo Dont Taze Me

GableGrip -
Willy the Coyote -  "It's likely that Khabib was on PED's as well. It's becoming more and more apparent that 99% of athletes are filling their bodies with more chemicals than a lab rat."

My post from that thread. Again, I said it's likely, and that 99% of fighters most likely take them, not just Khabib. I'm sorry reality doesn't hold up to your fantasy world of clean fighters who make it in this sport based solely on heart and talent. Phone Post

So 9 out of 10 UFC fighters are on roids?

Your just a dumb shit. Fuck how old are you? Maybe you should go back to school with me....that's embarrassing how dense you are

Remember jack ass, peds are testosterone and test derivatives and HGH ect. Not creating, protein and ore workout shit.

99% of fighters are not on peds, if they were there would be way more suspensions.

Old has been
I give your account another 6 hours.... Phone Post
2/9/13 4:39 PM
Yo Dont Taze Me

Virus x - Cant wait until someone beats Bendo. Its gay how he is the champ
How is it gay? Phone Post
2/9/13 4:42 PM
deadlysyn

I get where he's coming from. To simplify it it's comes down to this:

If you can become a champion or the best without help (PED) it takes a frame of mind that is far above the rest.

If you take PEDs to get an edge all that means is that you lacked the confidence in yourself and your abilities to get to the top on you own. That sliver of doubt no matter how good you become will always be there because you gave in to reach you goal. It's the chink in your armor that will always be there and someone that got to the top on their own is strong then you mentally and is more likely to outlast you. Phone Post
2/9/13 4:45 PM
Jive Turkey

Bigfoot_REEMED_meOver -  Title should read: "If you take my PEDs, I'll destroy you." Phone Post

As long as they remove the capital S, I'll be happy.
Underground Blog: "I has journalism"
2/9/13 5:52 PM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters kind of just need to stop talking about it. We all have very little doubt now that most professional athletes are taking something that may or may not be legal. The ones who make a point of denying it and calling out users seem like the most likely to be using themselves. If you aren't doing anything, just maintain that confidence and prove it by not failing tests. Phone Post
2/9/13 6:40 PM
Bipolar

Willy the Coyote -  "It's likely that Khabib was on PED's as well. It's becoming more and more apparent that 99% of athletes are filling their bodies with more chemicals than a lab rat."

My post from that thread. Again, I said it's likely, and that 99% of fighters most likely take them, not just Khabib. I'm sorry reality doesn't hold up to your fantasy world of clean fighters who make it in this sport based solely on heart and talent. Phone Post

So in your opinion 99 out of 100 fighters are taking PEDs? Obviously no one knows the true percentage, but no fighter that I'm aware of has said it's essentially 100%.

I played Div 1 football and boxed professionally, and I would bet my kids that 99% of pro athletes are not on PEDs.

Stupid statement, imo.
2/11/13 1:12 PM
IsmokeCrack

Bipolar - 

So in your opinion 99 out of 100 fighters are taking PEDs? Obviously no one knows the true percentage, but no fighter that I'm aware of has said it's essentially 100%.

I played Div 1 football and boxed professionally, and I would bet my kids that 99% of pro athletes are not on PEDs.

Stupid statement, imo.

Would you bet your kids against the statement that 90% of pro athletes at some point have knowingly taken a ped.
2/11/13 6:10 PM
Smellde Gluve
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

circa305 - 
Smellde Gluve - 

LMAO at that.

Only the main event fighters are randomly tested or there would be a lot more suspensions going out.

Glad you liked it dude!

2/11/13 8:10 PM
Mark Bocek
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9 out of 10 fighters on PED's? Where are you guys getting this intel? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.