UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Better UFC 157 poster: Western World or Japan?

2/9/13 5:19 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

There is a long tradition of extraordinary Japanese fight posters, most notably by Pride FC.

UFC 157 headliner Ronda Rousey recently posted a Japanese version of the upcoming event.

Ronda Rousey ‏@RondaRousey
Just posted a photo

What do you think of the Japanese version?

Here is the English speaking world's version.

And here is a trip down memory lane.

First, some standard UFC posters.

The UFC has occasionally gone off the reservation with designs, with interesting, even amazing results.

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/84089/ufc94_poster_ver2.jpg

However, for posters that bottle the mind, no one did it better than Pride.

http://www.robotplague.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Dream10x2.jpg

PRIDE GP 2004 second round poster butterfly

Yes, those are sperm.

When the UFC acquired Pride, they also got the poster copyrights. It might have been good if they got a Japanese graphic artist or two, too, as Pride's lesser succesor DREAM still produces memorable imagery.

DREAM 1

DREAM 3

DREAM 4

DREAM 6

DREAM 7

DREAM 10

DREAM 12

Sometimes UFC fans have taking the task upon themselves, with compelling results.

http://olieng.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ufc128poster-post.jpg

What is your favorite MMA poster of all time?

2/9/13 5:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rahjai
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

japanese versions all day
2/9/13 5:41 PM
Jaybrone
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wtf?

2/9/13 5:44 PM
yellow c0ckahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Japanese versions are usually much more creative and aesthetically pleasing than their U.S. counterparts, but that UFC 157 poster is horrid.

2/9/13 5:45 PM
HandyDarsh
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/09/13 5:45 PM

i love these posters

2/9/13 5:45 PM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From a marketing standpoint, I'd say the UFC's posters are more effective.  Their intent is clear and they deliver a ton of information in a consistent format.  When you see a UFC poster, you know it is advertising a fight card and you know what the top two or three fights are.

While the Pride posters are beautiful to look at, if you showed them to most people they would have no idea they were an advertisement for an MMA card, much less know who is fighting.

2/9/13 5:47 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, janitor

That comic book Bushido 9 picture is NOT a poster, it's a program. This is the Bushido 9 poster.

2/9/13 5:49 PM
elysian

Edited: 02/09/13 5:49 PM
PRIDE posters are for the intelligent beings, they provoke you and make you think, they have substance, metaphors, are artistic.

Western posters are two big muscle guys with shaved chests, buy ticket now, see them now ppv.
2/9/13 5:50 PM
Himinahomina
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC 144 Japanese version of the poster is class if a blue can post a pic. Phone Post
2/9/13 5:51 PM
yellow c0ckahlc

Edited: 02/09/13 5:52 PM
Steve4192 - 

From a marketing standpoint, I'd say the UFC's posters are more effective.  Their intent is clear and they deliver a ton of information in a consistent format.  When you see a UFC poster, you know it is advertising a fight card and you know what the top two or three fights are.

While the Pride posters are beautiful to look at, if you showed them to most people they would have no idea they were an advertisement for an MMA card, much less know who is fighting.

Fucking this, so much this.

People always say,"That UFC poster sucks." Usually, those are the same people who go,"WOW!" when they see bright-clashing colors and random shit like flames and awkward poses.

I love UFC posters, they do exactly what they're supposed to do, and look good in the process. I love Pride posters just as much for their creativity, but stuff like this can confuse people:

Love all three (best up there, imo), but the metaphors get lost to those who don't know what PrideFC/GP is.

2/9/13 5:56 PM
brianlg

ive always hated america's poster art. but it appeals to the angry drunk tapout crowd, and thats what ufc wants. though, ufc doesnt need great art if you think about it. cultural differences in who the target audience is Phone Post
2/9/13 5:57 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, janitor

Pride posters have a lot of information on the bottom of them cockahlic but you never see that because when the UG and other people make these posts they never actually post the posters, they post pictures of desktop wallpapers that Pride made available to people. That being said I get your point.

elysian

brianlg -  ive always hated america's poster art. but it appeals to the angry drunk tapout crowd, and thats what ufc wants. though, ufc doesnt need great art if you think about it. cultural differences in who the target audience is Phone Post

This.
The Gumball Kid

I just saved all of those, but how badass would it be to have them all in physical form!

I like the Japanese version tho. It seems to be more artistic tho the American version is more informative.

Then again I can't read the one from Japan so I may just be talking out my ass -__-
2/9/13 5:58 PM
BackAndLeft
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for the rest of the posters from the news post.

Sick thread. Phone Post
2/9/13 6:00 PM
Gooner H Smith

Just got the Pride 10 poster tee from No Mas. Fucking love it, I hope they make tees for some of the other as well. 

2/9/13 6:01 PM
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That "american" 157 version is fanmade homie

2/9/13 6:05 PM
yellow c0ckahlc

brianlg -  ive always hated america's poster art. but it appeals to the angry drunk tapout crowd, and thats what ufc wants. though, ufc doesnt need great art if you think about it. cultural differences in who the target audience is Phone Post

Uh, maybe 5-6 years ago, but the posters lately have been professional, clean and very well put together.

Compare this:

To this:

Things change.

2/9/13 6:07 PM
Got MMAlk
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow c0ckahlc -

Japanese versions are usually much more creative and aesthetically pleasing than their U.S. counterparts, but that UFC 157 poster is horrid.

. Phone Post
2/9/13 6:07 PM
yellow c0ckahlc

grkblood - 

Pride posters have a lot of information on the bottom of them cockahlic but you never see that because when the UG and other people make these posts they never actually post the posters, they post pictures of desktop wallpapers that Pride made available to people. That being said I get your point.

Ah, I see.

UGBlog, you silly bastard, thanks for including.

2/9/13 6:09 PM
Got MMAlk
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Japanese/western world are/is much more liberal in there vision on certain topics. Phone Post
2/9/13 6:09 PM
Got MMAlk

Their* Phone Post
2/9/13 6:11 PM
RameauSoCouldYou
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Japanese ones are amazing, infinitely better. The weirder the better too. Phone Post
2/9/13 6:13 PM
Blackbeltpanda
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man those pride posters are amazing Phone Post
2/9/13 6:17 PM
orcus

The Japanese ones are great from the perspective of a graphic design student. Not so great as advertisements outside Japan since most, including the Rousey one, give zero indication just what they are advertising unless you pay enough attention to read the small print.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.