UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ronda rousey working the bands (gif)

2/11/13 1:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mje364
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol.. These are great Phone Post
2/11/13 2:08 AM
outtrigger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor do the same exercise
2/11/13 2:17 AM
Beezulbubba
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Serious question on an otherwise very funny thread.

In that gif above after her first initial explosion where she turns and hips into it, she then starts flailing her arms and head around. As someone that has very limited Judo practice, what exactly does that do? I have seen that used as mentioned above with including balance/off-balancing, and to practice entry and footwork, and to blend the motions together.

But when she does it her legs/hips are basically stationary (there is a little movement mostly from her upper torso descending). She is basically just flailing her arms and it looks like she never even hits any actual amount of tension on the bands. it also looks like she is maybe trying to concentrate on head movement to some degree.

I guess my question is for people that use bands regularly, what exactly is the benefit of that? Or is it just something they used for the show?I realize that it's part of a larger workout, but that little section seems to be pointless(to me, which is why I am asking). I guess I can see the conditioning part but would that too not be better benefited by more hip/leg movement and torq and tension on the bands? Like how she started and finished?

To me that motion seems wasted, like stopping in the middle of throwing combos on the heavy bag to throw out a group of arm punches while turning your head side to side.

But just because I haven't seen it myself (and bands are one of those things where at high levels you can write your own ticket to an extent) and the people that I have seen do it haven't done 'that' doesn't mean it's not uncommon.

And as for the guy saying she'll get KO'ed for practicing gi work, well, you know arts like Judo and Ju-Jitsu can be adapted for non-gi work also. It's actually easier then you think, since the motions are the same, you just practice without the gi and adapt your game. She's a couple years into MMA, I think she knows their are no gis in MMA.
2/11/13 3:48 AM
jhonnydeep

Edited: 02/11/13 3:48 AM
2/11/13 4:15 AM
outtrigger

Edited: 02/11/13 4:20 AM
Beezulbubba, I used to do similar exercise in judo, but with belt tie to a wall/post. This is actually very basic work out in judo, tachiwasa(sp??), most of the time you do it with some else and holding their gi. The point of the exercise is practicing entry of the throw.

From looking at the gif, first set of the exercise she was doing with her head turning side to side is a practice for a forward foot trip/rip entry. Her legs were not stationary, but hopping from legs together to criss cross, which is not shown on screen. The feet are criss cross so that the forward leg can lunge into the 5 hole of the partner to prepare for a trip.

The second set of exercise she was doing with the head turning forwards/backwards with back turned is a practice for a hip throw/rip entry, most likely harigoshi
2/11/13 4:23 AM
mofomike
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyannVonReemjob - 
soremano -

Mezmerizing how retarded she looks. Lulz Phone Post

2/11/13 4:29 AM
Smellde Gluve
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/11/13 4:32 AM
xxorangutanwang

. Phone Post
2/11/13 4:45 AM
Mister Collins
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smellde Gluve - 

Another great gif from Smellde, well done!
2/11/13 4:50 AM
Sergio88
498 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Calling GORDO.....calling GORDO

Cut her out and and add her here please:

These guys are batting it out, on the dance floor that is. Phone Post
2/11/13 4:58 AM
Fabes
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
nowaydo - It's common judo training. The pull for your "off balancing" for your throw. Wow, some of you guys have very limited knowledge outside, "I train UFC!".
Some us know :) Phone Post
2/11/13 7:02 AM
Akston
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very in Phone Post
2/11/13 7:52 AM
cheesesteak
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smellde Gluve - 

LOLOLOL...Smellde Gluve kills it again! +1
2/11/13 8:02 AM
Edgars3FightLosingstreak
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread is incredible. Phone Post
2/11/13 8:05 AM
margaretmaggaaase

inf0 - 

amazing

HAHAHAHHAHAHA Love this comment

2/11/13 8:06 AM
margaretmaggaaase

inf0 - 

amazing

HAHAHAHHAHAHA Love this comment

2/11/13 8:16 AM
A_Butler
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
2/11/13 8:19 AM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone needs to give her glow sticks!
2/11/13 8:22 AM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nowaydo - It's common judo training. The pull for your "off balancing" for your throw. Wow, some of you guys have very limited knowledge outside, "I train UFC!".

What makes you think people have limited knowledge just because they think it's funny. Doesn't change the fact that she looks funny even if it's for Judo.
2/11/13 9:01 AM
ChaosOverkill
565 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mofomike - 
RyannVonReemjob - 
soremano -

Mezmerizing how retarded she looks. Lulz Phone Post

Lol this, I was suggesting in a different thread they would be a good cross romo

2/11/13 9:14 AM
DonFrye_Fan

She's so hot!

*sarcasm off* Phone Post
2/11/13 9:18 AM
UGCTT_Shope
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Such greatness in this thread. Phone Post
2/11/13 10:02 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We need Gordo Phone Post
2/11/13 10:47 AM
Beezulbubba
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

outtrigger - Beezulbubba, I used to do similar exercise in judo, but with belt tie to a wall/post. This is actually very basic work out in judo, tachiwasa(sp??), most of the time you do it with some else and holding their gi. The point of the exercise is practicing entry of the throw.

From looking at the gif, first set of the exercise she was doing with her head turning side to side is a practice for a forward foot trip/rip entry. Her legs were not stationary, but hopping from legs together to criss cross, which is not shown on screen. The feet are criss cross so that the forward leg can lunge into the 5 hole of the partner to prepare for a trip.

The second set of exercise she was doing with the head turning forwards/backwards with back turned is a practice for a hip throw/rip entry, most likely harigoshi

Thanks, outrigger!
2/11/13 11:11 AM
kevsh
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smellde Gluve - 

Brilliant, VTFU

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.