2/10/13 9:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bucephalus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/10/13 9:43 PM
sadisticsoldier - 
Mushroom Slap - 
Bucephalus - Gretzky?

I think people are confusing success at a sport with athleticism.

While i sort of agree with you, you HAVE to have him on the list of GOATs in the sports world. He has records that will never ever be broken. Dude was the best ever by miles.

I absolutely don't agree with him, obviously. It isn't for greatest raw athleticism. It is for greatest athlete. If you deny hockey is an athletic sport, you are a fool. So obviously an athlete in that sport who is above equal to such an extent should be given respect in this category. If you are talking pure athleticism I doubt Jordan is even top 10 all time NBA. Probably not close. Should Jordan not be recognized? Of course he should.

I distinguish between 'greatest athlete' and 'most successful athlete' (or most dominant).

Athleticism and success at a sport are not equivalent... particularly when it's a team sport.

Just my opinion.
2/10/13 9:50 PM
benjininja

Fedors Jim Jams - bo jackson for athelete... gretzky for dominance
Yep Phone Post
2/10/13 10:06 PM
UGCTT_Zacharinho
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheArmenianGuy - What they should have done was had a poll for each sport and let the real fans have chosen the goat in each individual poll.

Then they should have brought all the winners into one poll and let the open public decide. Phone Post
That is exactly what they did. Phone Post
2/10/13 10:09 PM
fanaticomma
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/10/13 10:10 PM
voted/Silva.
2/10/13 10:14 PM
Mushroom Slap
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skip2MyLou - 
GnP Sonnen -
fitch n prey - How is woods an athlete
I know his one of the best golfers ever but athlete I doubt Phone Post
Dale e jr also, he drives a car Phone Post
Have you guys tried playing or performing in either sport? Golf is probably one of the hardest sports to be consistently successful in.
And driving/racing, you have no idea how hot and sweaty it is in one of those cars. Since everyone knows how to drive, you can imagine its pretty damn difficult to control your car going 160-180mph Phone Post

Racing is NOT a sport. Just because something is sweaty, hot and difficult does not make it a sport. With that logic being a roofer is a sport, being a construction worker is a sport or driving the golf cart picking up the balls at the range a sport.
2/10/13 10:28 PM
3 strikes
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brenkus says: "In addition to numerous UFC and Pride belts, Silva has also earned black belts in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, taekwondo and Muay Thai."
2/10/13 10:33 PM
Knightsofthefirekingdom
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RileyPust - He's up against Phelps...
Boom Shaka laka Phone Post
2/10/13 10:38 PM
jokey17
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted....

For Jordan that is. Phone Post
2/10/13 10:54 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Predictions for Silva vs Phelps?

I'd say Anderson would be lucky to get 10% of the vote

2/10/13 10:56 PM
Bucephalus

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

I don't think the winner will get more than 25%.. probably more like 20%.
2/10/13 10:57 PM
RKing85
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am ahuge fan of Anderson, but to say he is one of the 16 greatest athletes of all time in insane.
2/10/13 10:59 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus - 

It's a bracket format, at least I think.  So Silva will go head-to-head with Phelps.

I'm guessing Phelps gets 90% of the vote and Anderson gets 10%.

2/10/13 11:08 PM
knuckleballs

This list is boosheet without Travis "The MIchael Jordan of BJJ" Lutter.
2/10/13 11:33 PM
sextoymagic

I thought we only got one vote. I voted Gretzky. Phone Post
2/10/13 11:51 PM
Elhoffo
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gretzky and there isn't even a second place. They guy made everyone look silly , he

Gretzky NHL Records
Wayne Gretzky holds or shares 61 NHL records: 40 for the regular season, 15 for the Stanley Cup playoffs and six for the NHL All-Star Game. Phone Post
2/10/13 11:56 PM
jokey17
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hockey is a fringe sport which is why Gretzky is not the best. Phone Post
2/10/13 11:59 PM
32Hunter
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

voted Jim Brown.
2/11/13 12:01 AM
32Hunter
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol@ phelps.
2/11/13 12:23 AM
Fedors Jim Jams

jokey17 -  Hockey is a fringe sport which is why Gretzky is not the best. Phone Post

if hockey is a fringe sport than what is mma?

this best poll, is a debate which is polarize by "greatest performance" and "athletic ability". tiger wood and dale earnhardt had great performance but who knows about their athletic ability. if you took all the guys on the list and had them complete in all the sports listed... that would be the guy with the best athletic ability, which i believe is bo jackson. gretzky for performance. jordan for marketing.

on a side note. tom glavine won over 300 games as a future hall of fame pitcher, and was actually drafted by an nhl team... ahead of greats brett hull and luc robitaile.
2/11/13 12:35 AM
jokey17

Fedors Jim Jams -
jokey17 -  Hockey is a fringe sport which is why Gretzky is not the best. Phone Post

this best poll, is a debate which is polarize by "greatest performance" and "athletic ability". tiger wood and dale earnhardt had great performance but who knows about their athletic ability. if you took all the guys on the list and had them complete in all the sports listed... that would be the guy with the best athletic ability, which i believe is bo jackson. gretzky for performance. jordan for marketing.

on a side note. tom glavine won over 300 games as a future hall of fame pitcher, and was actually drafted by an nhl team... ahead of greats brett hull and luc robitaile.
Mma is an uber fringe sport... Maybe a niche sport Phone Post
2/11/13 12:38 AM
Fedors Jim Jams

jokey17 - 
Fedors Jim Jams -

Mma is an uber fringe sport... Maybe a niche sport Phone Post

i agree. i thought you were putting hockey down, my bad.

im not a big racing or golf or swim fan but i respect what guys like woods and earnhardt and phelps have done amongst their competition.
2/11/13 1:00 AM
Bucephalus

Bucephalus - 

It's a bracket format, at least I think.  So Silva will go head-to-head with Phelps.

I'm guessing Phelps gets 90% of the vote and Anderson gets 10%.

I don't think there will be that much difference but I agree that Phelps takes it.
2/11/13 1:16 AM
Gondul
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Harmon Whistler -

The Great One got my vote.

^ untouchable in his sport. Hockey players can't even get half as many points in a season as he got in 85-86. Ain't no one ever breaking his 50 goals in 39 games record either. Phone Post
2/11/13 1:46 AM
Fedors Jim Jams

Gondul - 
Harmon Whistler -

The Great One got my vote.

^ untouchable in his sport. Hockey players can't even get half as many points in a season as he got in 85-86. Ain't no one ever breaking his 50 goals in 39 games record either. Phone Post

between the 81/82 season and the 86/87 season, gretzky averaged 203 points a season across those 6 seasons. the 2nd place average for that timeframe was 130 points. the league leader for last nhl season got 109.

between 86/87 season and the 92/93 season, jordan averaged 33.2 points a game across those 7 seasons. the 2nd place average for that timeframe was 29.5. the league leader for last nba season was 28.

im not too great with math, but jordan averaged 12.5% higher while gretzky averaged 56% higher. to be comparable jordan would have had to average 46 points per game.
2/11/13 2:21 AM
GIBB0
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

steampunk - I'm still laughing at this list. They didn't even include the proper top three(order is arguable, but not for first place) including a person from an america centric sport.

1. Donald Bradman(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bradman) is, without question, the greatest athlete of all time. "Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 is often cited as statistically the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport." quote from the wikipedia page. The next highest career test batting average is slightly higher than 56. He almost doubles the next highest person in an all time comparison. Nobody can compare to that feat.

2. Aleksandr Karelin - Many people on this forum already know and have named him in the running. His feats are well known. He won gold in his weightclass for three olympics in a row. He didn't give up a single point in six years. Six years of never making a single mistake against the best competition in the world. I don't really need to expand upon this.

3. Walter Ray Williams jr.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Ray_Williams_Jr) - He is the greatest professional bowler of all time. Not only did his reign last an incredibly long time, but it lasted throughout an era of bowling that saw amazing changes in equipment. It's a feat that's hard to understand if you aren't a bowler who has gone through the same changes. Bowling became a completely different sport in the time of Walter Ray Williams jr. and he was able to not only stay relevant, but stayed at the top. Not only was he the best bowler of all time, he was also insanely good at horseshoes as well. "Walter Ray has also won six Men's World Horseshoe Pitching titles. He was invited to pitch horseshoes at the White House with President George H. W. Bush in 1989.[25] He finished 2nd in the 2005 World Horseshoe Pitching Championships after switching from right handed to left handed." Again, this quote was taken from his wikipedia page. He finished second on the world stage after switching from his dominant hand to non dominant. That's just how good he was.

I understand that none of these men hold the kind of popularity it would take to win one of these "sports pageant poles," but they are truly the top of the heap when it comes down to being great athletes.
I agree with Bradman if it was worldwide. Cricket is one of the top sports.

But Karelin? He was dominant at a sport that is popular up until the end of college but after that there's no way to make a living competing in it.

The competitor base for the sport has to come into play. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.