UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anderson Silva nominated for GOAT athlete on ESPN

2/11/13 11:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sunnyko
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
2/11/13 11:56 AM
xXJayRobXx
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought the general consensus was that GSP was the most athletic guy in the sport. Fucking ESPN. Phone Post
2/11/13 12:10 PM
Give2FranksFight
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FatBuddha - should Rickson be on the list for sport bjj?
Lol not sure if serious. Phone Post
2/11/13 12:38 PM
GrandInquisitor
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How soon people forget the way Fedor utterly dominated the world of MMA.

While I'm fairly certain that Fedor is the undisputed, greatest MMA fighter in history, I personally believe that Royce Gracie is the most important fighter in history, with Kaz Sakuraba somewhere in the top 5 (being the man who dispelled the myth of Gracie Jits and revolutionized the way we fight.
2/11/13 12:48 PM
sunnyko
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sunnyko - Phone Post
Seriously, how is it even a debate as to who is a Greatest of all Time in their sport? He maxed at coaching and performing in the sport. Phone Post
2/11/13 12:50 PM
Cletus Redpecker III
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mijo - 
Cletus Redpecker III - Jordan seems to be getting a lot of support, but I assume many don't remember his short stint at trying to play baseball.

Bo Jackson all day. Guy was a freak and excelled in two sports.

Could hit with power, and throw a baseball better than anyone in MLB at the time.

Bo Jackson and Micheal Jordan both played Baseball.

But only one did it well.

Four more years with a good hip and Bo would have been king of the world.

And professional hockey players, as a whole, are some of the best athletes in the world.
2/11/13 12:53 PM
kielside
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva is great at what he does, and it still seems to work so...
2/11/13 1:08 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSpenn fan - Jordan...nobody cares about hockey and black people don't even play it...Basketball is a sport played in every high school in the country...it is one of the big 3 sports and Jordan was by far the greatest.

More people around the world play hockey than they do basketball.

2/11/13 1:08 PM
Osbot

Skip2MyLou -  And if this was based on international voting, I'd say Pele would win. Being the most dominant at the most international sport would give him recognition. (Although one can argue messi may soon surpass him or already have).
But because its a USA/NA poll, the American sports will win Phone Post

Maradonna already did imo!
2/11/13 1:13 PM
Osbot

jokey17 -  Hockey is a fringe sport which is why Gretzky is not the best. Phone Post

All North American sports are basically fringe sports. The only one that is even remotely close to Global is basketball.

In fact, I think if someone ran the numbers the global player base hockey would for sure be higher than football AND baseball.

2/11/13 1:38 PM
kevsh
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCKIRTT_SonofJockstrap - 

Gretzky should win the entire thing, him or Bo. Woods I wouldn't complain about because he was the single most dominant athlete ever, even if it was for 5 years in a sport where guys have 30 year careers.

I agree, Gretzky was so far above and beyond anyone in the game, before or since. Bo was the best running back in football and one of baseball's best players, at the same time.

Either one would be deserving.
2/11/13 1:39 PM
kevsh
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/11/13 1:39 PM
double post
2/11/13 1:52 PM
UGCTT_AdamD
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted Silva in order to represent but there's really no way Andy is gonna take this from some of the more mainstream sports players. Phone Post
2/11/13 2:11 PM
Large Intestine
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali.
2/11/13 2:32 PM
stonepony

fitch n prey -  How is woods an athlete
I know his one of the best golfers ever but athlete I doubt Phone Post

You realize he can probably embarrass you in the weight room right? Not an insult... It's just true. That's one of the reasons he was able to get so far ahead of the competition. He was the only guy in the gym. I believe I read that he could put up almost 400lbs.
2/11/13 2:38 PM
I am Juan Eli Manning
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave Winfield was just as good an athlete as Bo was.
2/11/13 3:47 PM
Root12
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GIBB0 -
steampunk - I'm still laughing at this list. They didn't even include the proper top three(order is arguable, but not for first place) including a person from an america centric sport.

1. Donald Bradman(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bradman) is, without question, the greatest athlete of all time. "Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 is often cited as statistically the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport." quote from the wikipedia page. The next highest career test batting average is slightly higher than 56. He almost doubles the next highest person in an all time comparison. Nobody can compare to that feat.

2. Aleksandr Karelin - Many people on this forum already know and have named him in the running. His feats are well known. He won gold in his weightclass for three olympics in a row. He didn't give up a single point in six years. Six years of never making a single mistake against the best competition in the world. I don't really need to expand upon this.

3. Walter Ray Williams jr.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Ray_Williams_Jr) - He is the greatest professional bowler of all time. Not only did his reign last an incredibly long time, but it lasted throughout an era of bowling that saw amazing changes in equipment. It's a feat that's hard to understand if you aren't a bowler who has gone through the same changes. Bowling became a completely different sport in the time of Walter Ray Williams jr. and he was able to not only stay relevant, but stayed at the top. Not only was he the best bowler of all time, he was also insanely good at horseshoes as well. "Walter Ray has also won six Men's World Horseshoe Pitching titles. He was invited to pitch horseshoes at the White House with President George H. W. Bush in 1989.[25] He finished 2nd in the 2005 World Horseshoe Pitching Championships after switching from right handed to left handed." Again, this quote was taken from his wikipedia page. He finished second on the world stage after switching from his dominant hand to non dominant. That's just how good he was.

I understand that none of these men hold the kind of popularity it would take to win one of these "sports pageant poles," but they are truly the top of the heap when it comes down to being great athletes.
I agree with Bradman if it was worldwide. Cricket is one of the top sports.

But Karelin? He was dominant at a sport that is popular up until the end of college but after that there's no way to make a living competing in it.

The competitor base for the sport has to come into play. Phone Post
Stupid post is stupid Phone Post
2/11/13 4:31 PM
GSpenn fan
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gamer - 
GSpenn fan - Jordan...nobody cares about hockey and black people don't even play it...Basketball is a sport played in every high school in the country...it is one of the big 3 sports and Jordan was by far the greatest.

Yeah, black people dont play hockey, because hockey doesn't require that you be a 7 foot tall goofy black man to have success, and it doesn't require NFL combine stats,

Hockey actually requires tons of cordination and handling skills!

Besides, what does it matter if black people play it or not?

That is such a ridiculous notion

Like if black people are the guage of everything!

Come off of it you racist!

Even then, there have still been tons of black people in the NHL, and the greatest player ever is white!

Does that eat at your heart you black racist!

You are the typical and ignorant racist American!

The fact of the matter is, hockey is played more around the world then basketball or football is

Basketball ans football are child's play around the world

Michael Jordan is more recognized around the world than Gretskey, even though Hockey is played more around the world....hmmmm, sounds like a win for Jordan.
2/11/13 4:45 PM
kylekanada
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not much of a sports guy so the way I look at it... Throw them all in a pit and see who comes out alive.
2/11/13 5:04 PM
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just casted my vote for Dale Earnhart. Am I doing it right? Phone Post
2/11/13 5:33 PM
GIBB0
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Root12 -
GIBB0 -
steampunk - I'm still laughing at this list. They didn't even include the proper top three(order is arguable, but not for first place) including a person from an america centric sport.

1. Donald Bradman(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bradman) is, without question, the greatest athlete of all time. "Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 is often cited as statistically the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport." quote from the wikipedia page. The next highest career test batting average is slightly higher than 56. He almost doubles the next highest person in an all time comparison. Nobody can compare to that feat.

2. Aleksandr Karelin - Many people on this forum already know and have named him in the running. His feats are well known. He won gold in his weightclass for three olympics in a row. He didn't give up a single point in six years. Six years of never making a single mistake against the best competition in the world. I don't really need to expand upon this.

3. Walter Ray Williams jr.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Ray_Williams_Jr) - He is the greatest professional bowler of all time. Not only did his reign last an incredibly long time, but it lasted throughout an era of bowling that saw amazing changes in equipment. It's a feat that's hard to understand if you aren't a bowler who has gone through the same changes. Bowling became a completely different sport in the time of Walter Ray Williams jr. and he was able to not only stay relevant, but stayed at the top. Not only was he the best bowler of all time, he was also insanely good at horseshoes as well. "Walter Ray has also won six Men's World Horseshoe Pitching titles. He was invited to pitch horseshoes at the White House with President George H. W. Bush in 1989.[25] He finished 2nd in the 2005 World Horseshoe Pitching Championships after switching from right handed to left handed." Again, this quote was taken from his wikipedia page. He finished second on the world stage after switching from his dominant hand to non dominant. That's just how good he was.

I understand that none of these men hold the kind of popularity it would take to win one of these "sports pageant poles," but they are truly the top of the heap when it comes down to being great athletes.
I agree with Bradman if it was worldwide. Cricket is one of the top sports.

But Karelin? He was dominant at a sport that is popular up until the end of college but after that there's no way to make a living competing in it.

The competitor base for the sport has to come into play. Phone Post
Stupid post is stupid Phone Post
I love your counter argument. It was really enlightening.

Please tell me where I am wrong.

If it is based worldwide, cricket is top 3.

If you are talking about my Karelin comment, please tell me how someone who competed in an amateur sport (that less than 0.01% of the population cares about and the 99.99% won't even watch if it's on during the olympics) deserves to be compared against sports where 10s of millions compete and the cream rises to the top to produce Jordan, Messi, Pele, Warne etc. Phone Post
2/11/13 5:54 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gretzky has the numbers but he also did everything when he was surrounded by an amazing team. In fact, Gretzky never won the championship without Messier... Messier won more than once without Gretzky. Also, as a French Canadian, Mario Lemieux is the hockey GOAT. GSP the MMA GOAT.
2/11/13 5:55 PM
C Riv

Wayne Gretzky is P4P best athlete. Phone Post
2/11/13 5:56 PM
C Riv

YouCantHandleMyRiddum - Gretzky has the numbers but he also did everything when he was surrounded by an amazing team. In fact, Gretzky never won the championship without Messier... Messier won more than once without Gretzky. Also, as a French Canadian, Mario Lemieux is the hockey GOAT. GSP the MMA GOAT.
wtf....are u serious? ??!!! Phone Post
2/11/13 6:13 PM
sextoymagic

Gretzky hands down deserves the title. I see it coming down to phelps and Jordan though. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.