UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anderson Silva nominated for GOAT athlete on ESPN

2/11/13 8:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cletus Redpecker III
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am Juan Eli Manning - Dave Winfield was just as good an athlete as Bo was.

I would never argue that Winfield was not a great athlete. The fact that he was drafted by the Vikings despite never having played college football is a testament to that fact. Over 3,000 hits. Almost 500 homeruns. But he was no Bo Jackson. Bo won the Heisman. The fucking Heisman dude. Although, I think Lorenzo White got screwed in the voting.
2/11/13 8:16 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad that not even ESPN remembers him. Most underrated athlete ever?

2/11/13 8:45 PM
Animal Chin
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gamer - 
mijo - 
fitch n prey -  How is woods an athlete
I know his one of the best golfers ever but athlete I doubt Phone Post

Go walk 18 holes, and play, then first off. Tell us how good you did, and then tell us how you feel physically. Do that four days a week, and keep they physique he has.

The dude is a better athlete than you ever will be!

I voted for him over Jordan btw.

Are you for real?

People go on vacation and play golf

People play golf to relax

LOL at you making golf out to be some heinous and extraneous physical activity

Just stop it already

5 minutes of padwork is harder then 36 rounds of golf

There are some green names on the UG who would demolish Tiger Woods within seconds

Gallant effort, but you really don't know enough about it to get into a debate.

How often do you play?
2/11/13 9:02 PM
tycoon
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I voted Bo Jackson.
2/11/13 9:05 PM
Cletus Redpecker III
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Emmit Smith once said that playing a single football game is like being in 10 car wrecks.

Never even felt like I got in a fender bender after playing 18 or 36, even while carrying my own sticks.
2/11/13 9:08 PM
Animal Chin
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cletus Redpecker III - Emmit Smith once said that playing a single football game is like being in 10 car wrecks.

Never even felt like I got in a fender bender after playing 18 or 36, even while carrying my own sticks.

I'm not sure anyone has compared golf to football.

I know! Let's compare the collisions in tennis to the ones in boxing next.
2/11/13 9:12 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

C Riv - 
YouCantHandleMyRiddum - Gretzky has the numbers but he also did everything when he was surrounded by an amazing team. In fact, Gretzky never won the championship without Messier... Messier won more than once without Gretzky. Also, as a French Canadian, Mario Lemieux is the hockey GOAT. GSP the MMA GOAT.
wtf....are u serious? ??!!! Phone Post

Mario Lemieux is definietly better than Gretzky. He dominatd an era that was much tougher to play in than the Great One's. The truth is, cancer and back problems took away Lemieux's prime. At some point, Lemieux couldn't even tie his own skates, they had to tie them for him. Even past-his-prime, he was absolutely dominant.

2/11/13 9:12 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did they pick Tiger but not Jack? Phone Post
2/11/13 9:13 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Did they pick Tiger but not Jack? Phone Post

Yes.  And I think that's the right choice.

2/11/13 9:25 PM
Cletus Redpecker III

Animal Chin - 
Cletus Redpecker III - Emmit Smith once said that playing a single football game is like being in 10 car wrecks.

I'm not sure anyone has compared golf to football.

I know! Let's compare the collisions in tennis to the ones in boxing next.

Follow me here.....

It's comparing athletes to other athletes. So, naturally, their respective sports have to enter the discussion. And, naturally, you would have to compare the rigors of each sport involved to come to a respectable conclusion.

Golf is some shit you play while drinking a case of beer. Although, I would agree with anyone who said that Tiger is a great athlete. He probably has the genetics and coordination to be successful in any sport he chose.
2/11/13 9:30 PM
Animal Chin

Golf is some shit you do while drinking a beer. It will never be a sport for you, just a hobby.

There are a lot of guys, especially Europeans, out there who would do well in other sports.
2/11/13 9:32 PM
Animal Chin

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

Most people think tiger invented golf some time in the mid-nineties. The target audience they're looking for here are the type of people that would vote for Silva.
2/11/13 9:33 PM
Galanis
790 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Anderson and I love MMA, but that is a fucking list man. I don't know how you can even compare all of these people. The winner would be totally subjective to how one defines what makes a good athlete. Is it the fact Anderson fights in the Matrix? What about Jordan jumping like he's on the moon? Bo Jackson just being Bo Jackson? To me you can't pick one guy off of this list and say he is better than another. I get why they do these polls, but they mean nothing

2/11/13 9:33 PM
Galanis
790 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still voted for Anderson obviously though. Would be amazing if he somehow won

2/11/13 9:42 PM
Silva vs Fedor
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People can argue who's the p4p GOAT in MMA until their blue in the face. If pressed, I personally think it's Silva via being champ in two divisions+his run at MW+making above average and one time LHW champs look like it's their first day in the cage+the magic matrix style finishes.

I rushed over there to vote, unfortunately my vote was cast for Ali : (
2/11/13 9:54 PM
Cletus Redpecker III

Sooooo....what is the other weight class that AS has won a UFC title in?
2/11/13 9:58 PM
Animal Chin

Cletus Redpecker III - Sooooo....what is the other weight class that AS has won a UFC title in?

Silva vs Fedor 3

2/11/13 10:01 PM
Cletus Redpecker III

Animal Chin - 
Cletus Redpecker III - Sooooo....what is the other weight class that AS has won a UFC title in?

Silva vs Fedor 3

Touche
2/11/13 10:08 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

I disagree, he's got the most wins, most second place finished, most majors, etc. But I may be biased because I'm a huge Ohio State fan. Jack should be on there even with Tiger anyways.

Jesse Owens should have been on there too. He's the goat track athlete.

2/11/13 10:11 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

I don't think people understand just how difficult golf is. Once you start playing regularly you are just in total awe of the pros. I'm not sure if there is a sport that requires as much mental toughness and focus as golf does at the highest level, either.

2/11/13 10:17 PM
sextoymagic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No pop for del rio. He's lame as a face. Ditched his cars which I loved. Phone Post
2/11/13 10:34 PM
Cletus Redpecker III

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

I don't think people understand just how difficult golf is. Once you start playing regularly you are just in total awe of the pros. I'm not sure if there is a sport that requires as much mental toughness and focus as golf does at the highest level, either.

I had to give it up because of my competitive nature. I can't begin to relate to the stress of trying to compete at the highest level of ANY sport. But the fact is, before Tiger, not many pro golfers gave two shits about their physical shape. He was a game changer....no doubt.

But pro golfers walk, not run, around the course. They don't carry their own bags. The younger cats are obviously in much better athletic shape than their predecessors. But I just can't put Tiger Woods in the same 'GOAT athlete' discussion as Bo, MJ, or Jesse Owens. I just can't.
2/11/13 11:27 PM
KingOfFighters

UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby -

I personally think GSP should've been on the list over Anderson in terms of athletic ability.

Why? Anderson is undefeated in the ufc, gsp has cried uncle twice Phone Post
2/12/13 12:18 AM
kingkoopa

Im more of an athlete than woods lol Phone Post
2/12/13 12:22 AM
kingkoopa

Bo Jackson, now that's an athlete

Any greatest athlete list with woods in it should not b taken seriously. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.