UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anderson Silva nominated for GOAT athlete on ESPN

2/12/13 6:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GIBB0
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

* an old not Arnold Phone Post
2/12/13 6:18 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
521 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

charms434 - 
Fedors Jim Jams -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

Sad that not even ESPN remembers him. Most underrated athlete ever?

its funny how guys talk about jordans 6 titles. bill russel had 11. dennis rodman had 5... and he did that with 2 teams. rodman was winning back to back titles before joining jordan.
Yeah, I was talking to a kid at a Celtics game. I mention Bill Russell he goes 'who?' SAD Phone Post

I would have called/texted security and had them take care of the situation.

2/12/13 6:22 PM
Animal Chin
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GIBB0 - 
Osbot -
Animal Chin - 
Osbot - 
mijo - 
Osbot - Golf, darts, bowling, pool, horse shoes.

These are not sports, they are skills or games. I suppose it all comes down on your definition of sport, but for me, I consider a high degree of physical fitness/exertion to be a requisite requirement.

All these require a high degree of skill, but they don't have the requisite athletic requirement. I am not saying athletic people don't participate in these activities.

Golf has resquisite athletic requirements. You're wrong.

Such as? Walking a couple of miles? Sorry, walking a few miles while someone else carries your bag for you is not a requisite athletic requirement.

Golf requires fundamentally the same skill set as darts, pool or horse shoes. It requires the ability to judge distance, it requires spatial awareness and skill insofar as striking a ball to a specific point. It requires strategy and decision making regarding club selection.

Not a single one of these things falls under the requisite requirement of athleticism. Darts requires essentially the same skills, so does bowling, so does horse shoes.

They are skills, and certainly those of exceptional talent excel at them. However, the key issue here is that while supremely talented athletes may excel at them, being a talented athlete is not required to excel at them.

You can be a nonathletic slob and be a superstar in Golf or any of the listed sports.

Don't let the fact that SOME athletic people play Golf, that is a coincidence not a causal arrangement.

So no chum, YOU'RE wrong.

I don't think you understand the golf swing. At all.

But, by all means, carry on.

I don't think you understand the proper striking technique of a cue, the optimal flick of a dart toss or the loft of a horse shoe. At all.

But, by all means, articulate for me exactly what it is about golf that precludes people that are not athletic from mastering this incomprehensibly difficult skill?

Let me preclude your reply by again reminding, just because some athletic people excel at the sport doesn't mean other people who are not athletic cannot excel at it.

On that I know I am right and I believe you will have a difficult time articulating anything intelligible.

Good day sir, I said GOOD DAY!
I think that what he's getting at is that the physical exertion that Tiger Woods puts into a golf swing is extreme.

There's no physical effort in pool or darts.

You also can't say that old ladies play golf for fun so it's not tiring. Old people go to spin class, but they aren't entering Le Tour. People go for jogs recreationally, but they aren't running the 100m in the Olympics.

Tiger Woods hits the ball over 350 yards off the tee. His longest drive is 425 yards.
That's a whole nutha level of power to Arnold lady hitting it 120 yards. Phone Post

somewhat, yes. but there are longer guys out there than tiger. the physical exertion that all tour players put into the swing is extreme and some on the champions tour still can make an explosive transition, but not many, and that's why they can't compete with the tour players.

and i never said anything about billiards, darts, or horseshoes. if they want to call themselves athletes, i don't mind. i don't know enough about them to care either way. much like osbot doesn't know anything about the golf swing.
2/12/13 9:23 PM
Cletus Redpecker III
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Osbot - 
Cletus Redpecker III - 
gamer - 
Cletus Redpecker III - 
gamer - 
Cletus Redpecker III - Emmit Smith once said that playing a single football game is like being in 10 car wrecks.

Never even felt like I got in a fender bender after playing 18 or 36, even while carrying my own sticks.

And one round of MMA is more brural then a whole game of football

When it comes down to it, if you cut out all the commercials and constant breaks inbetween plays,

football players only spend about several minutes actually doing anything physical during a football game

That "anything physical" is running into each other at full speed. Nope....sport for pussies apparently.

*le sigh*

Most football players on the field will go hard for one 5-10 second play.

Then they will go sit on the bench, and wont come back for the next play until about 5 minutes later

Football games only contain several minutes of actual play time

Go look it up

Soccer is much more demanding

LO mutha fuckin L.

Have you ever played any sport at any level?

Soccer players are the biggest lot of pussies of ANY sport. Fucking flopping all over the field trying to draw penalties 'n shit. I like soccer and still feel this way.

Fuckin' basketball players, floppin' to draw the charge! PUSSIES I CALL THEM.

Fuckin' wideout's and cornerbacks droppin' at contact tryin' to draw dat PI.

GET THE FUCK AT ME YOU NO BALL SALLY'S.

Selective bias, it's a bitch amirite?

I am a fan of every sport at varying levels.

Flopping in ANY sport is a bitch move. But soccer players take it to a WNL. Shin on shin is never cool, but quit rolling around on the ground and crying like a little girl. Get up and play the fuckng game.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.