UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Who were/are the best at neutralizing reach?

2/11/13 3:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChaosOverkill
734 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Question A: In Boxing

Question B: In Kick Boxing

This one is for the heads of these sports as I don't know enough to answer them. Tyson's style of punishing the body inside seems like a good place to start but based on a different thread (RJJ vs SILVA) The boxer's success would depend on innovating how to neutralize distance against kickboxers and even in kickboxing itself with guys like Schilt having gargantuan size advantages. Also the lack of answer for a current HW boxer is probably evident as the Kitchkos dominate with theirs.

So I ask who are or were the best at dealing with all sorts of reach disadvantages?

2/11/13 3:06 AM
ChaosOverkill
734 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess add MMA as question C, BUT STRIKERS ONLY, wrestling and takedowns are an easy answer 

2/11/13 3:07 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have absolutely no clue about answering this technically. But Peter Aerts beat Semmy three times so him. Phone Post
2/11/13 3:10 AM
ChaosOverkill

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  I have absolutely no clue about answering this technically. But Peter Aerts beat Semmy three times so him. Phone Post

Yeah trying to boil this down stumped me aswell but Aerts is a great answer for what he did to Schilt.

I'm curious if there are guys or specific styles that are best suited to deal with reach differences and all I can really confidently say is early Tyson when he just never took his hands away from his face until he was at optimal distance to pound the body until the opponents hands came down and I'm puzzled why more guys in MMA don't bob and weave to target to body with combos until a guy drops his hands, We see the odd 2 shot combo but nothing like Tyson did.

2/11/13 3:11 AM
ChaosOverkill

Maybe Jack Slack would be the guy to answer this

2/11/13 4:58 AM
in_different
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would think it appropriate to mention Pacquiou here. he was fighting much naturally bigger guys then himself later on in career.

His amazing speed helped certainly, but his technical prowess is pretty underrated
2/11/13 5:04 AM
Bucephalus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hearns
2/11/13 5:07 AM
yellow c0ckahlc

C: In mma

Answer would be Struve. He's very good at neutralizing his own reach.

2/11/13 5:22 AM
UGCTT Combat Can Happen

Lennox Lewis often measured his shots out with his jab hand. If that's not an effective use of reach, I dunno what is. Phone Post
2/11/13 7:40 AM
ChaosOverkill

yellow c0ckahlc - 

C: In mma

Answer would be Struve. He's very good at neutralizing his own reach.

hahaha nice one

2/11/13 8:06 AM
joe canada
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tyson was amazing at getting inside the jab with his peekaboo style.

Some people get distracted by the slow motion train wreck that was his life and career and they forget just what a technical fighter he was in his prime.

2/11/13 8:29 AM
Sharkman170

boxing? don't watch it enough to give an answer,

kick boxing? mike zambidis would be a good candidate

MMA? faber and edgar come to mind

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.