UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> BJ Penn In For Cataracts Surgery: The Facts

2/11/13 11:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pedro Carrasco
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJPENN.COM, Editor-in-Chief

Penn In Utah For Cataracts Surgery: UFC Enlists Dr. Crandall | UFC NEWS

Former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion BJ Penn has traveled to Utah after the UFC insisted on enlisting the service of famed eye surgeon, Dr. Alan Crandall, to repair a damaged eye suffering from cataracts.

The Surgeon, based in Salt Lake City, is best known for his work with Boxing Champion Antonio Margarito and successfully completed the only eye repair surgery on a high profile fighter of this kind to pass through an athletic commissions test for licensure.

For Penn, this is a step in recovery that is long overdue. After attempting to solve the issue with numerous bouts of non-invasive procedures the former UFC champion decided that surgery was the only course of action to insure a proper recovery.

“I got a cataract in my left eye and I’m heading out to do see Dr. Crandall”, disclosed the former UFC Champion. “He is the guy that did Margarito’s eye and the UFC set this up for me.”

For the proud Hawaiian surgery is rarely an option but as Penn explained, this has been an ongoing issue for more than a year.

“January of last year is when I first noticed there was a problem”, said Penn. “I was looking at my iPhone and I really couldn’t tell what was going on. At first, I thought I tore my retina, so I went to my doctor and he said, ‘I can see right away what the problem is, you have a cataract’. The doctor told me it could be traumatic or it could be from this medicine I was taking called Prednisone, which is what I had been using over the previous few years for sinus infections.”

After dropping his last two performances to Nick Diaz and Rory MacDonald many have wondered if the former champion would return to action. For Penn that question has been one he’s been very hesitant to answer.

“I’m definitely hesitant to fight right now with the.... Continue Reading

2/11/13 11:17 AM
discodrew
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even goats can get cataracts I guess. Phone Post
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck to BJ! Phone Post
Legalize It
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cataracts are notorious on a fighters endurance.

2/11/13 11:19 AM
Gooner H Smith
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In before Penn haters "more excuses from BJ" Phone Post
2/11/13 11:22 AM
Bisping NEEDS to retire

“The UFC really set me up, they are taking first class care of me”, Penn said in closing.

Good to hear.
2/11/13 11:26 AM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope it goes well BJ!!!

2/11/13 11:34 AM
Motivated Penn
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope BJ recovers well.

I had a very similar operation done myself, electively (IOL to correct eye sight), and it was not particularily uncomfortable, and a life changer for me.

I've had no problem since, and done BJJ and boxing etc, but of course, a pro fighter's strain is a quite different thing.

Torn or detatched retina would be far more serious than cataracts, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.
2/11/13 12:04 PM
MountainMedic
570 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

junobeach - prednisone gave me a cataract too but so far it's very small so my doc doesn't reccomend anything about it just yet
Really? This is interesting to me. Phone Post
2/11/13 12:11 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

best of luck

2/11/13 12:17 PM
Malvert the Janitor
886 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn! Recover soon, champ! Phone Post
2/11/13 12:20 PM
Arecsa
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good work by the UFC looking after him. Hope it goes well and he comes back.
2/11/13 12:23 PM
sacredhate
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arecsa - Good work by the UFC looking after him. Hope it goes well and he comes back.

yep...another example of Zuffa being a good guy that will be forgotten and ignored.
2/11/13 12:33 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

hope he heals up quick, all the best to BJ!

2/11/13 12:36 PM
AnakinHelwani
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated Penn w/ 20/20 vision vs. Fitch With Foreclosed Summer House.

Who takes it?
2/11/13 12:47 PM
pennviachoke
1114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he has a speedy recovery, get well soon champ! Phone Post
2/11/13 1:16 PM
Knightsofthefirekingdom
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AnakinHelwani - Motivated Penn w/ 20/20 vision vs. Fitch With Foreclosed Summer House.

Who takes it?
The fans Phone Post
2/11/13 1:18 PM
siouxNYC
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

prednisone for sinus infections? prednisone is a fucking hardcore kind of steroid (not really a performance enhancing kind of steriod, though). that's insane.
2/11/13 1:32 PM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the update Pedro. Sending my thoughts out to BJ.
2/11/13 1:45 PM
Gorilla_keylock

god speed to BJ.

Greatest of all time if you ask me.
2/11/13 1:46 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had the same surgery, recovery is fairly simple and quick. Only problem is you've got 1 eye you can't see shit up close with unless you've got glasses to balance it out. Diaz and Rory busted up that same eye, I doubt he'll fight again anyway. Phone Post
2/11/13 2:13 PM
NJstileNJ
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well well well...this explains everything
2/11/13 2:20 PM
Ep32nv
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 32 and have had Cataracts removed form both eyes.

- night vision will not improve
- I can't even rub my eyes, can imaging getting punched in one of them!

Good luck BJ Phone Post
2/11/13 2:23 PM
scrapdo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

siouxNYC - prednisone for sinus infections? prednisone is a fucking hardcore kind of steroid (not really a performance enhancing kind of steriod, though). that's insane.
Lol "not really" yea, like NOT AT ALL! It's a CORTICOSTEROID, far far far from an anabolic one. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.