UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Greatest Strikers: Roy Jones Jr.

2/12/13 5:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Slack
1753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mufasatheking - 
Jack Slack - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Great read. What do you think of all the Anderson Silva vs RJJ in a hypothetical kickboxing match talk? Phone Post

Kickboxing? Anderson easily by actually having trained in it.

Boxing? Roy Jones easily.

All favoritism aside - Anderson is great at rolling with punches and does it all the time when the opponent punches left right left right. On the few occasions he has had an opponent double up with one hand he has rolled right into the second punch.

Franklin did it once in their second match, Bonnar did it once against the cage and that boxer he sparred with at wild card landed some viscious punches off of a triple right hook combo.

There's a reason boxers can't roll with everything - decent opposition in boxing will vary their combinations. Roy Jones was exceptional at doubling, tripling and even quadrupling up blows. He's a very bad match up for Anderson boxing wise.

Maybe im mistaking what rolling with punches means but anderson rolled the correct way against Okami (in the second round just after he dropped his hands) and Vitor and they both doubled up their punches.

Rolling with punches is where you ride the momentum of the punch. A great example is if you have someone slap you and turn your head as they do it to take the force off. Obviously there's more technique to it than that but going with the force of punches is what Anderson does regularly.

Of course, I'm not saying there's a magic answer to AS - sometimes he'll stop doubled up punches etc - but the punch variety of a top boxer would be far greater than anyone he has faced. You can't just alternate hands against Anderson because that's basically all he ever has to deal with.

2/12/13 5:48 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack

Its time for James Toney
2/12/13 5:50 AM
I_LOST_A_SN_BET_TO_LEGHOUND
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesomestprime - in

lifelong RJJ fan
. Phone Post
2/12/13 5:51 AM
Jack Slack
1753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gokudamus stole my name - Jack

Its time for James Toney

Dude is a textbook of old school tricks. I'll wait until he fights Shamrock ;)

2/13/13 4:26 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
884 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he never relied on a traditional defense, like you see with Toney, Hopkins, Mayweather...guys like that can fight into their 40's and be highly successful because of their defense. Roy relied on pure athleticism, he made mistakes others couldn't get away with because they weren't as gifted.
2/13/13 1:46 PM
Wasa-B
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's the crazy thing about Anderson, he's near 40 but his reflexes are still in tact. Im not sure whether his defense would be considered traditional or not though, he seems to be be able to go between orthodox and unorthodox games in both offense and defense.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.