UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mitten Type Gloves For Fighter Safety

2/11/13 2:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Culinary Union Delegate
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like every UFC a few fighters put life and eyesight on the line when They step into the cage.

The UFC claims that their number one concern but every event has multiple eye pokes--fingers jammed into eyes. A man can go blind this way. Even joe rogan agrees.

Those fingers gotta get covered up. Civilized people don't want to see an eye poking contest.

All fun and games...until half the roster loses an eye Phone Post
2/11/13 2:06 PM
Kirik
1663 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

There is a fight sport with fingerless, and thumbless, gloves. It is really cool, and called boxing.  Perhaps you would enjoy it.

2/11/13 2:11 PM
Culinary Union Delegate
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

something like this might be a step in the right direction:

2/11/13 2:13 PM
Santino DeFranco
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always wonder why the UFC doesn't go to more of a Pride (FC) glove. If the gloves were just a little longer, covering more finger/knuckle, it would make it harder to open the hand all the way (keeping a bit of a curve to the hand/fingers. I think that might help a bit, but what do I know?
2/11/13 4:27 PM
Culinary Union Delegate

Santino DeFranco - I always wonder why the UFC doesn't go to more of a Pride (FC) glove. If the gloves were just a little longer, covering more finger/knuckle, it would make it harder to open the hand all the way (keeping a bit of a curve to the hand/fingers. I think that might help a bit, but what do I know?

You know a lot bro. Always a quality poster, especially when that Sakara-Cote fiasco happened. You were't afraid to go against the grain to speak up for justice

2/11/13 10:10 PM
Culinary Union Delegate

That karate glove seems like a problem solver. Someone alder joe rogan Phone Post
2/11/13 10:13 PM
GloverRampagedMyBrownEye
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

There is a fight sport with fingerless, and thumbless, gloves. It is really cool, and called boxing.  Perhaps you would enjoy it.

Gold, Jerry. Gold. Phone Post
2/11/13 10:14 PM
Diazed And Confused
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Culinary Union Delegate -
Santino DeFranco - I always wonder why the UFC doesn't go to more of a Pride (FC) glove. If the gloves were just a little longer, covering more finger/knuckle, it would make it harder to open the hand all the way (keeping a bit of a curve to the hand/fingers. I think that might help a bit, but what do I know?

You know a lot bro. Always a quality poster, especially when that Sakara-Cote fiasco happened. You were't afraid to go against the grain to speak up for justice

The UG is such a positive place - VU Phone Post
2/11/13 10:18 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

I don't know how I feel seeing you take on the Culinary Union.

UG owned by Zuffa confirmed?!
2/11/13 10:21 PM
ufc98newb
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tell me about your latest name change, paesano

2/11/13 10:23 PM
canofsticks
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what needs to happen is fighters train if their going to stick out their arm, the fist needs to be closed. Period. It needs to be just as reactionary as checking a kick.

But that will only come when there are some serious penalties levied against them for failing to do this.
2/11/13 10:27 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the 6oz training gloves that go all the away over the knuckles and that don't have the seams on the striking surface would be better all the way around. The seams cause cuts and the thumb and fingers may be a little less likely to poke people in the eyes. That is probably one of the most dangerous things about fighting that can be fixed pretty easy.
2/12/13 8:04 AM
Culinary Union Delegate

Real for a fact, something has to be done about the eye poke business. Something should have been done after Anthony Johnson got screwed when Burns poked his eye out. A title even changed hands (Randy-Vitor) over a flaw in the glove that sliced Randy's retina (or some shit in his eye)

2/12/13 10:58 AM
MartialArtsMixed
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I'm down with pride gloves, it covered more of the fingers and as a result never had a single eye poke in the history of pfc Phone Post
2/12/13 11:17 AM
A.W.Ashford
369 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PRIDE STYLE GLOVES PLEASE. MAKE THEM BLUE TOO.... AND BRING BACK SOCCER KICKS WHILE YOU'RE AT IT TOO..... Phone Post
2/12/13 11:20 AM
BigEyedFish
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pride everything
bring it all back
2/12/13 2:24 PM
Culinary Union Delegate

A.W.Ashford -  PRIDE STYLE GLOVES PLEASE. MAKE THEM BLUE TOO.... AND BRING BACK SOCCER KICKS WHILE YOU'RE AT IT TOO..... Phone Post

Nobody wants to see soccer kicks and knees to a downed opponent. Think of the children

2/13/13 8:29 AM
Culinary Union Delegate

Does somebody have to go blind before a change is made?

2/13/13 8:48 AM
AssassinsNATION
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a risk, if you want to do MMA and be a fighter there's apparent risks associated with it that you have to accept, if you can't accept them then maybe that sport isn't for you. Just like if someone wanted to be a race car driver there is a possibility you may wreck an die, if someone wanted to be a chef you may slice a finger or chop one off. Phone Post
2/13/13 9:06 AM
Culinary Union Delegate

AssassinsNATION - 

It's a risk, if you want to do MMA and be a fighter there's apparent risks associated with it that you have to accept, if you can't accept them then maybe that sport isn't for you. Just like if someone wanted to be a race car driver there is a possibility you may wreck an die, if someone wanted to be a chef you may slice a finger or chop one off. Phone Post

Don't I know it. My hands are scarred in ways that keyboard chefs will never understand. 

There is an inherent risk in MMA, sure, but this eye poke thing is getting out of control. Fighters have enouh to worry about, they shouldn't have to risk their eyesight. This must be addressed. Even JOE ROGAN said so

2/13/13 9:35 AM
Willin
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Karate glove seems like a good solution since the fingers can still operate while protecting during striking but they'd get in the way when hunting for rear naked chokes, etc, since they are so bulbous.

I agree that something should be done though. I don't watch this sport to see people permanently debilitated. If Pride gloves are really that much of an improvement then they should be adopted. Phone Post
2/13/13 9:45 AM
Culinary Union Delegate

Willin - That Karate glove seems like a good solution since the fingers can still operate while protecting during striking but they'd get in the way when hunting for rear naked chokes, etc, since they are so bulbous.

I agree that something should be done though. I don't watch this sport to see people permanently debilitated. If Pride gloves are really that much of an improvement then they should be adopted. Phone Post
Vote you up sir. Phone Post
2/13/13 10:30 AM
Elias Cepeda
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Things happen. Eye pokes are not the biggest safety issue in MMA, that's silly. 

2/13/13 10:33 AM
KidPittsburgh
1095 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigEyedFish - pride everything
bring it all back

2/13/13 10:59 AM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They need to start warning and deducting points on guys that continually range distance with fingers extended. This is what causes most of the eye pokes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.