UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mitten Type Gloves For Fighter Safety

2/13/13 11:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
green_machine
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can somebody explain the difference between the modern MMA gloves that the UFC uses, and the ones that PRIDE used? From the few photos I can find it looks like there's a band keeping the fingers together and padding that goes all of the way to the end of the fingers, is that correct? Has anybody on here worn both and do you feel that it hinders your ability to grapple, clasp your hands, lock in a RNC, etc.?
2/13/13 11:05 AM
PatK
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't the old Shooto gloves cover more of the fingers as well?

Or go with the gloves Bruce Lee was using at the beginning of "Enter the Dragon"
2/13/13 11:09 AM
morse
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

green_machine - Can somebody explain the difference between the modern MMA gloves that the UFC uses, and the ones that PRIDE used? From the few photos I can find it looks like there's a band keeping the fingers together and padding that goes all of the way to the end of the fingers, is that correct? Has anybody on here worn both and do you feel that it hinders your ability to grapple, clasp your hands, lock in a RNC, etc.?

+1 

2/13/13 11:22 AM
A.W.Ashford
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

morse -
green_machine - Can somebody explain the difference between the modern MMA gloves that the UFC uses, and the ones that PRIDE used? From the few photos I can find it looks like there's a band keeping the fingers together and padding that goes all of the way to the end of the fingers, is that correct? Has anybody on here worn both and do you feel that it hinders your ability to grapple, clasp your hands, lock in a RNC, etc.?

+1 

Phone Post
2/13/13 12:10 PM
AssassinsNATION
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Culinary Union Delegate -
AssassinsNATION - 

Does somebody have to go blind before a change is made?

It's a risk, if you want to do MMA and be a fighter there's apparent risks associated with it that you have to accept, if you can't accept them then maybe that sport isn't for you. Just like if someone wanted to be a race car driver there is a possibility you may wreck an die, if someone wanted to be a chef you may slice a finger or chop one off. Phone Post

Don't I know it. My hands are scarred in ways that keyboard chefs will never understand. 

There is an inherent risk in MMA, sure, but this eye poke thing is getting out of control. Fighters have enouh to worry about, they shouldn't have to risk their eyesight. This must be addressed. Even JOE ROGAN said so

I understand that, but a mitten type glove will effect your grip if that happens you will render many moves useless. Phone Post
2/13/13 1:17 PM
Culinary Union Delegate
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What if it covers the fingers like a mitten on the outside, but not on the inside where you could have a whole open hand. The outer half would be a glove and there would be no glove on the inner side. That sounds like an improvement of the current MMA glove

2/13/13 1:24 PM
AssassinsNATION

What if it covers the fingers like a mitten on the outside, but not on the inside where you could have a whole open hand. The outer half would be a glove and there would be no glove on the inner side. That sounds like an improvement of the current MMA glove

Actually not a bad idea keeps the palm and fingers open for grip. Phone Post
2/13/13 1:43 PM
Willin
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The greatest difficulty is avoiding bulbous gloves so that grappling is still possible. Perhaps the padding can be tapered off near the tips of the fingers to prevent this. Phone Post
3/27/13 7:51 PM
Culinary Union Delegate
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here we go

3/27/13 7:52 PM
Culinary Union Delegate

I just solved the fucking problem. That company, Anthony Johnson, SpirtWolf and Dana White should all thank me

3/27/13 8:06 PM
Willin
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Koscheck disapproves!

...which is a good indicator of a successful find! Nice! Where are they sold online? What's the brand name? 

3/27/13 8:13 PM
GooseLeeMMA

No Phone Post
3/27/13 8:42 PM
Culinary Union Delegate

They're a uk based company. I'll post a link when I get to my laptop.

It's either an eyepoke or nut shot that grinds every fight to a halt.

I will research ball protection next Phone Post
3/27/13 10:00 PM
SidRon
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should go back to no gloves or wraps at all. Wraps, tape, and gloves allow you to pack your hand like a rock and then protect it so that you can strike somebody unnaturally harder without getting injured than you could without that stuff.
3/27/13 11:15 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

AssassinsNATION -
AssassinsNATION - 

Does somebody have to go blind before a change is made?

It's a risk, if you want to do MMA and be a fighter there's apparent risks associated with it that you have to accept, if you can't accept them then maybe that sport isn't for you. Just like if someone wanted to be a race car driver there is a possibility you may wreck an die, if someone wanted to be a chef you may slice a finger or chop one off. Phone Post

Don't I know it. My hands are scarred in ways that keyboard chefs will never understand. 

There is an inherent risk in MMA, sure, but this eye poke thing is getting out of control. Fighters have enouh to worry about, they shouldn't have to risk their eyesight. This must be addressed. Even JOE ROGAN said so

I understand that, but a mitten type glove will effect your grip if that happens you will render many moves useless. Phone Post
The mitten style combat sports training gloves give me better grip than my fight gloves. The cool thing is the mitten wraps far enough that it is much harder to poke an eye. Phone Post
3/28/13 8:14 AM
Culinary Union Delegate

http://www.martialartshop.co.uk/product_images/e/213/Tsport-dipped-foam-sparring-gloves__78265_zoom.jpg

3/28/13 8:43 AM
Willin

SidRon - They should go back to no gloves or wraps at all. Wraps, tape, and gloves allow you to pack your hand like a rock and then protect it so that you can strike somebody unnaturally harder without getting injured than you could without that stuff.
Whaaa?? If they didn't wear gloves at all then eyepokes would become even more prevalent. Phone Post
3/28/13 8:47 AM
JOESONDO
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elias Cepeda -

Things happen. Eye pokes are not the biggest safety issue in MMA, that's silly. 

It may not be the biggest safety issue but it is easily addressed. Clearly there is a fault that that can not only hurt the fighters but also affect the outcome of fights. Why not address it? Phone Post
3/28/13 8:51 AM
Culinary Union Delegate

JOESONDO - 
Elias Cepeda -

Things happen. Eye pokes are not the biggest safety issue in MMA, that's silly. 

It may not be the biggest safety issue but it is easily addressed. Clearly there is a fault that that can not only hurt the fighters but also affect the outcome of fights. Why not address it? Phone Post

It happens FAR TOO OFTEN. Someobody's gonna go blind, or lose money like guys who bet on Anthony Johnson did when Burns poked his eyes out and was rewarded for it with a win by that Mazzagatti

3/28/13 9:18 AM
cdueck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just make it so the ref can dock points for guys that defend with pointed fingers or range with them. That will get rid of most of the eye pokes.

3/28/13 9:20 AM
Culinary Union Delegate

cdueck - 

Just make it so the ref can dock points for guys that defend with pointed fingers or range with them. That will get rid of most of the eye pokes.

you trust referees to do their job right? I only trust Dean, Goddard, Rosenthal, and Big John until he took a point from Tito in the Rashad fight. That was SUS

4/11/13 4:21 PM
Culinary Union Delegate

I'm going to interview an eye doctor and the guy who makes those gloves.

The Union cares

4/28/13 12:02 AM
Bobby Lupo

WE NEED TO REVISIT THIS TOPIC.

EVERY FUCKING FIGHT HAD AN EYEPOKE

4/28/13 12:09 AM
Lux Fixxins

Culinary Union Delegate - Seems like every UFC a few fighters put life and eyesight on the line when They step into the cage.

The UFC claims that their number one concern but every event has multiple eye pokes--fingers jammed into eyes. A man can go blind this way. Even joe rogan agrees.

Those fingers gotta get covered up. Civilized people don't want to see an eye poking contest.

All fun and games...until half the roster loses an eye Phone Post
Lol @ "even joe rogan thinks so" Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 12:53 AM
Bobby Lupo

Tanning goggles? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.