UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mitten Type Gloves For Fighter Safety

4/28/13 12:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bobby Lupo
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Listen to Rogan preach. Definition of insanity. Mittens now!!!!! Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 1:30 AM
UGCTT_EnderTL
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stricter penalties for eye poking would help. I know it's an "accident", but in hockey if you high stick someone in the face by mistake, you still get a penalty. I think Bispings eye poke was especially bad. He swiped right at his face with an open hand, what else is going to happen? It wasn't like he stuck it out for range and Belcher ran into it.

4/28/13 1:38 AM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canofsticks - what needs to happen is fighters train if their going to stick out their arm, the fist needs to be closed. Period. It needs to be just as reactionary as checking a kick.

But that will only come when there are some serious penalties levied against them for failing to do this.
This! Make it a straight point deduction for a poke to the eye. Accidental or not. Watch eye pokes disappear overnite Phone Post
4/28/13 1:54 AM
Lux Fixxins
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Culinary Union Delegate -

something like this might be a step in the right direction:

You paid 30 bucks to Blue a troll account? Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 2:01 AM
WoodenPupa
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Somehow giant plexiglass helmets don't make it into the discussion, but whatever.
4/28/13 2:04 AM
WoodenPupa
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - Tanning goggles? Phone Post 3.0

Saran wrap. 5 sweeps around the head for that smushy blurred rape clown face. Give the fights a nice David Lynch feel.
4/28/13 2:15 AM
JCON
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe is so vocal about it but I would like to hear what Dana thinks about it. Never read anything about him regarding it Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 2:48 AM
hooha
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

- PRIDE-STYLE GLOVES or

-"MITTEN"-STYLE (like a bag glove, free thumb/all fingers covered)

-SPLIT-MITTEN (like Vulcan 'live long and prosper' salute)

here are some suggestions! And I had this idea that might sound crazy, but how about if the hands were covered in a soft, silicone-type shell, with the MMA glove covering it?  If a finger or thumb went astray, it would be softer and less dangerous, plus you could grapple.

4/28/13 3:03 AM
Vossy
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_EnderTL - 

Stricter penalties for eye poking would help. I know it's an "accident", but in hockey if you high stick someone in the face by mistake, you still get a penalty. I think Bispings eye poke was especially bad. He swiped right at his face with an open hand, what else is going to happen? It wasn't like he stuck it out for range and Belcher ran into it.

^ This.

If someone gets poked go to a replay. If there is an arm extended with a finger in the eye, take a point. It'll put an end to this shit real fast. It doesn't matter if it was intentional or not. You shouldn't have your fingers in someones eyes for any reason.
4/28/13 3:03 AM
Vossy
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/28/13 3:03 AM
double
4/28/13 6:41 AM
Bobby Lupo
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lux Fixxins - 
Culinary Union Delegate -

something like this might be a step in the right direction:

You paid 30 bucks to Blue a troll account? Phone Post 3.0

I don't pay for a blue name, and I lost a bet. Now I have my good name back.

Am I right or am I right about this? Gian Villante was just about to win the fight. OSP was gassed, then the poke happens, Gianni is an emotional guy, from the same place as Phil Baroni, he spoke his mind, that ref did him wrong.

UEC- Ultimate Eyepoke Championship is non bene, bro

4/28/13 7:11 AM
CH

i dont understand why a fighter would throw a punch without closing his fist first

i think some sort of point deduction should be put in place whether the poke is intentional or not

and if the poke stops the fight then it should be a disqualification or a no contest
4/28/13 7:15 AM
shaqitup
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cdueck - 

They need to start warning and deducting points on guys that continually range distance with fingers extended. This is what causes most of the eye pokes.

Yeah make a big deal about it, talk to the fighters, and any time there's an eye poke give them an auto -1. Instant replay that shit.

4/28/13 9:34 AM
bakobell

Last night not only were eye jabs not penalized they were rewarded. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 9:36 AM
Bobby Lupo

bakobell - Last night not only were eye jabs not penalized they were rewarded. Phone Post 3.0

The sport looks like a joke. Ultimate Eypoke Championship. 

4/28/13 9:42 AM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anything that prevents the fingers from being used individually would totally changed grappling as fighters could no longer position fingers. Finger placement would be uniform, instead of individual.

I think refs need to be more aggressive in warning fighters about open hands. If you have already warned a fighter about open hands and an eye poke occurs take a point.
Cruckshank scratched the hell out of Makdessi with his pawing open hands.
4/30/13 2:37 PM
rudj
727 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

learn how to defend it, Prado prob gives a good seminar

4/30/13 3:18 PM
adamscheulen
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rudj -

learn how to defend it, Prado prob gives a good seminar

That's probably the coolest weigh in pic I've ever seen Phone Post
4/30/13 6:40 PM
cdueck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that any eye poke with the arms extended should be a point deduction and if the fight must be stopped the poker loses by DQ. Bisping-Belcher would be a perfect case for this as the poke was likely accidental but there is no reasone to have your hands in that postition ever.

4/30/13 8:59 PM
rudj
727 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/30/13 9:07 PM
DiscipleDojo
654 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rudj - 

Take away the lower fingertip padding and make the material out of something that conforms to the fingers (i.e. neoprene) for the sake of better grappling sensitivity...and problem solved.

Eye-pokes would still occur every now and then, but the danger with them of the fingernail cutting/scratching the eyeball/eyelid would be reduced almost to nothing.

4/30/13 9:09 PM
PrettyBoy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jeet kun do glove Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 6:38 AM
Bobby Lupo

PrettyBoy - Jeet kun do glove Phone Post 3.0

That would look cool, but wouldn't the poke still be a problem? 

5/1/13 12:44 PM
Doc T
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Santino DeFranco - I always wonder why the UFC doesn't go to more of a Pride (FC) glove. If the gloves were just a little longer, covering more finger/knuckle, it would make it harder to open the hand all the way (keeping a bit of a curve to the hand/fingers. I think that might help a bit, but what do I know?
Really though, it's not like you've ever fought before. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 1:09 PM
sux@bjj
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have watched plenty of UFC events and an eye poke is pretty rate. Tate enough not to change equipment imo! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.