UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Best and worst BJJ/MMA seminars?

2/11/13 8:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
torquemada
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reading the Royce thread got me wondering about the best and worst experiences the UG has had.

I'll start. Wand did a seminar in ATL several years ago. Training was good, and he couldn't have been nicer. Phone Post
2/11/13 8:40 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to a BJJ seminar with Bob McRoberts. It was unreal, he's a great teacher. At one point he gave everyone in attendance the chance to ask some questions about specific techniques, and then he would break them down and show us set ups and escapes. He was very concise and very patient, I couldn't have been more impressed.
2/11/13 8:45 PM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Erik Paulson seminars are great, he throws a lot at you, but it's quality stuff Phone Post
2/11/13 9:17 PM
rumble_fish
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/11/13 9:19 PM
I've been to only one seminar and after that experience it turned me off forever. It was a Gracie Barra Carlos Gracie Jr seminar. They charged $150 for 2 hrs of nothing. We pretty much sat around and listened to Carlos talk about stories right out of "the gracie way"

After an hour of that horse shit, he shows us two fucking moves. It was an outside trip, but with a "special" addition, the addition was going deeper in with your tripping leg.. After doing a few reps of that he showed us a choke. I can't remember what kind of choke it was, this was a few years ago. We finished the move and that was it.

People were allowed to roll but there wasn't really enough room because Carlos decided to sit right in the middle of the mats and continue telling stories. After that I said fuck it and went home. I thought I'd get one months of training info in one seminar, instead I paid for one month of training and got half a class. Thanks Gracie Barra.
2/11/13 9:59 PM
Silva vs Fedor
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be at a Caique Elias seminar this coming weekend. Will report back if thread is still in the discussion.

Never been to a seminar before.
2/11/13 10:03 PM
Kirik
2017 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Jeremy Horn is awesome.

2/11/13 10:05 PM
torquemada
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Jeremy Horn is awesome.

I can imagine. The guy seems to be an Encyclopedia of technique. Phone Post
2/11/13 10:26 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/12/13 7:35 AM
TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
2/11/13 10:35 PM
REDRUM_NYC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Serra, John Danaher, Renzo and Ricardo Almeida are top notch

2/11/13 10:55 PM
RPBJJ
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I might be bias but Megatons seminars are UNREAL!

I might also be bias but Jack McVicker gives a hell of a seminar too!

Both these dudes have forgot more about BJJ than some blacks know. Phone Post
2/11/13 10:59 PM
Old Boxer

I have done Royce and Royler seminars that both sucked. Got a photo though.
2/11/13 11:06 PM
vieages
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Helio soneca! All the way! Phone Post
2/11/13 11:11 PM
sitchpack

Braulio Estima and Roger Gracie, best seminar ever. Phone Post
2/11/13 11:13 PM
torquemada

vieages - Helio soneca! All the way! Phone Post
Friend just affiliated his school under him. I've heard nothing but great stuff about him... Phone Post
2/12/13 1:02 AM
Jits_n_Hoez

Never been to a seminar. Can't imagine paying upwards of $150 for two or three hours of techniques when I can easily watch instructionals for free! Phone Post
2/12/13 1:07 AM
mestregruber
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luiz Claudio (Rickson BB) taught me stuff I use every time I train. Phone Post
2/12/13 1:12 AM
UGCTT_Vidz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been to an Andre Galvao seminar and a Dean Lister seminar and both were brilliant. Both were incredibly nice, allowed photos, Galvao even signed my belt. Both class acts and would go to another seminar hosted by them in an instant.
2/12/13 1:24 AM
DiscipleDojo
685 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder

Renzo seminars are worth twice whatever the cost is. I've used almost everything I've learned at them repeatedly and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy than Renzo.

Karel Pravec ("Silver Fox"), one of Renzo's 2nd degree BBs also came and did a seminar for us here in NC. I HIGHLY recommend him as well!

2/12/13 1:28 AM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been lucky enough to attend a seminar with pride era Shogun and Ninja teaching it. Great experience! They taught true MMA combos (stand up to takedown to guard pass to soccer kicks... For example!) and made sure everyone was doing well. Great experience! Right after Quinton left Pride FC and was getting ready to fight Lindland I attended a seminar of his, only 4-5 people showed up and it was an incredible experience

Bas Rutten seminar was ok, it was great just to meet him and talk to him. He demonstrated an armlock on me which was pretty cool. Just being in his guard I felt like he could just kill me, hard to describe. This was during the IFL days so Jay Hieron and Alex S (Guy from Argentina who was on TUF 1) were there helping as well Phone Post
2/12/13 3:33 AM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've attended Dean Lister seminar and it was great. I think it was too soon to for me to attend such seminar since i was begginer in BJJ, but some techniques he showed me work really great now when i have solid basics.

Very approachable guy, i'd recomment to visit his seminars if there is a chance.
2/12/13 4:45 AM
rundymc

Went to a couple of John Will seminars. I'm a big fan of the way he runs these. He shows a bunch of moves, all connected to each other of course, and doles out a good amount of info. Always a pleasure with him.
2/12/13 5:12 AM
Kobayashi

Renzo was great, outside of MMA Peter Consterdine was awesome, I've also been to a couple of Marco Ruas seminars and even though they were 15 years ago . . I can remember the pain vividly! Phone Post
2/12/13 6:09 AM
ken amtrack

Has anyone ever been to a seminar and not had a photo taken..if so please post your fist pose photos with just you in the shot as proof Phone Post
2/12/13 7:34 AM
Brabo Ben
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ze radiola seminar was good, oldschool joi jitsu, done a couple with victor estima that were solid Phone Post
2/12/13 7:43 AM
ash01

Went to my first jiu jitsu seminar this week with John Will, was amazing. Dude spoke about life and bjj like I have never herd before. Very motivating and great technique Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.