UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Best and worst BJJ/MMA seminars?

2/12/13 8:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vieages
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torquemada -
vieages - Helio soneca! All the way! Phone Post
Friend just affiliated his school under him. I've heard nothing but great stuff about him... Phone Post
Where is his school? Phone Post
2/12/13 9:16 AM
torquemada
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vieages -
torquemada -
vieages - Helio soneca! All the way! Phone Post
Friend just affiliated his school under him. I've heard nothing but great stuff about him... Phone Post
Where is his school? Phone Post
Columbia, SC. Phone Post
2/12/13 4:31 PM
ash01
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Went to my first jiu jitsu seminar this week with John Will, was amazing. Dude spoke about life and bjj like I have never herd before. Very motivating and great technique Phone Post
2/12/13 7:45 PM
REDRUM_NYC

DiscipleDojo - 

Renzo seminars are worth twice whatever the cost is. I've used almost everything I've learned at them repeatedly and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy than Renzo.

Karel Pravec ("Silver Fox"), one of Renzo's 2nd degree BBs also came and did a seminar for us here in NC. I HIGHLY recommend him as well!

agreed... I left out Silverfox on my list too by mistake.... 

2/12/13 8:05 PM
Red Stuff
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favourite seminar was with Brian Ebersole.

His techniques were gold and he's a rad guy.
2/12/13 10:47 PM
factchecker

rumble_fish - I've been to only one seminar and after that experience it turned me off forever. It was a Gracie Barra Carlos Gracie Jr seminar. They charged $150 for 2 hrs of nothing. We pretty much sat around and listened to Carlos talk about stories right out of "the gracie way"

After an hour of that horse shit, he shows us two fucking moves. It was an outside trip, but with a "special" addition, the addition was going deeper in with your tripping leg.. After doing a few reps of that he showed us a choke. I can't remember what kind of choke it was, this was a few years ago. We finished the move and that was it.

People were allowed to roll but there wasn't really enough room because Carlos decided to sit right in the middle of the mats and continue telling stories. After that I said fuck it and went home. I thought I'd get one months of training info in one seminar, instead I paid for one month of training and got half a class. Thanks Gracie Barra.

You learned the Gracie Way.
2/13/13 5:25 PM
Kobayashi

I also took a Dan Severn seminar way back , I wasn't fan at all but my training partner persuaded me, it was great on my favourites technique and story wise . I'd go to another in an instant - he's a legend. Phone Post
2/13/13 5:32 PM
BenBJJ
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm going to Rodolfo Vieira Seminar on the weekend. I dont usually go to seminars these days, but I am looking forward to this one! Travelling interstate for it.

Anyone been to one of his seminars? I hope to get some good passing details!
2/13/13 5:52 PM
Weinstein

Carlos Gracie Jr seminars are pretty bad. It's all sloppy judo with some community college philosophy thrown in.
2/13/13 6:58 PM
Shoco
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rodolfo Vieira Phone Post
2/13/13 6:59 PM
Shoco
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will enjoy BenBJJ! Phone Post
2/13/13 7:00 PM
BenBJJ
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shoco -  You will enjoy BenBJJ! Phone Post

Sweet! Quick rundown?
2/13/13 8:44 PM
Koga

Best = John Will. Worst = Rigan Machado.
2/13/13 9:14 PM
Ronin_jutsuka
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tatakai Fightwear, President
Been to a Demian Maia and a Leonardo Peçanha seminar. Demian's was ok. It was a lot of pretty high level stuff when I was just starting out.

Peçanha's was great. He brought in 3 other Nova União black belts. They took turns showing techniques and then gave about 10 minutes to drill, while all of the others walked around giving advice on the technique and making sure that it was being done properly.

I will be attending another one of his seminars later this month, and he will be bringing Wendell Alexander in to this one. Phone Post
2/13/13 9:36 PM
BenBJJ

Worst was Royler. What a waste of time and $$$ that was. I will recommend for life not to ever go to one of his.
2/13/13 10:11 PM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

REDRUM_NYC - 
DiscipleDojo - 

Renzo seminars are worth twice whatever the cost is. I've used almost everything I've learned at them repeatedly and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy than Renzo.

Karel Pravec ("Silver Fox"), one of Renzo's 2nd degree BBs also came and did a seminar for us here in NC. I HIGHLY recommend him as well!

agreed... I left out Silverfox on my list too by mistake.... 

Renzo, of course, and John Danaher. They are just too brilliant for words. I'll add Kyra to the list also. 

JM- I absolutely love Silver Fox! One of the coolest, sweetest guys too. 

2/13/13 10:47 PM
torquemada
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Koga - Best = John Will. Worst = Rigan Machado.
Rigan? Really?

I've been to one. I won't say it was the best but wasn't the worst either. Phone Post
2/13/13 10:53 PM
Jsteven
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luiz Palhares was awesome 2 hours of in depth half guard passes, which was one of my weak points, I learned a ton. Phone Post
2/13/13 11:41 PM
pimptasticsig
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been to several seminars. Samuel Braga puts on a heckuva class. Everything is chained and flows from one technique to the next, and I still use techniques from both the no gi and gi portions. Also did a fantastic afternoon seminar with Rob Kaman. Still use much of what I learned there every time I spar, especially the footwork elements. Both are absolutely fantastic, approachable dudes. I've been to 3-4 of Jon Ivey's leglock seminars and he has very technical breakdowns of positions and concepts. Have yet to have a bad seminar experience, truthfully. I'm hoping to go to a Helio Soneca seminar up in Pigeon Forge at The Fit Factory in March, but we'll see how that works out. I guess I can just get the wife to go outlet mall shopping for a few hours! Phone Post
2/14/13 1:56 AM
smurphys
795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gustavo Dantas hosts a great one! Phone Post
2/14/13 2:00 AM
BobbyBigLug
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Jeremy Horn is awesome.

. Phone Post
2/14/13 2:12 AM
Brian Rule

Julio "Foca" Fernandez does incredible seminars. 6th degree under Carlson based in Vermont. Shows tons of techniques (takedowns & ground) with just the right amount of instruction. Couldn't be a cooler guy too.

This is him teaching a slick triangle setup...

2/14/13 2:20 AM
athsportsnutrition
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ATH Sports Nutrition, Owner

I think the best seminars show a few good moves but also roll with the guys and are cool to hang out with. You can always watch videos for the moves but actually rolling with them and meeting the guys are why I go to the seminar. I went to Saulo's seminar and it was pretty bad ass. Showed some cool stuff, rolled with everyone, and was a cool guy to hang out with. We ended up going to eat together after and was able to pick his brain about BJJ.

2/14/13 5:51 AM
DK Chaos
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been to quite a few seminars - Erik Paulson was by far the best, Roy harris was pretty good too. Also been to anderson silva, minotauro, ebersole, royce, royler, inosanto, & many others.
2/14/13 7:15 AM
Culinary Union Delegate
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Thornton's are probably both the best and worst. He's a great teacher with awesome ideas, but his followers can be a bit of a freakshow. He did a seminar in Brooklyn and some dude tried a 'bite the stomach' escape from under side control. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.