UnderGround Forums

Revgear League BJJGround >> MGInAction

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/14/13 9:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rival School
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BackAddict347x -
Rival School -  But maybe that's why that style works for me. I play De La Riva for no other reason than its fun and flashy. I rode bmx for 10 years so style appeal is stuck in my head. But when it comes to efficiency everything I play like Marcelo works the best.

I compete at 141 and my legs are super sticky for a 5 11 guy. Phone Post

Yea, I was the same, played a ton of Spider, De La Riva, Reverse De La Riva, De La Spider, all that stuff. I decided for a month to abandon some of the things that I ordinarily would do, and JUST worked on the stuff that Marcelo did (entry and technique). Suffice to say i've been taking more and more things out of my game now and replacing them with the things that Marcelo does because its alot easier, and doesnt compromise my positioning if I make a mistake. A good example of this stuff being used by one of the worlds best today is Leandro Lo. He pretty much uses the De La Spider/Spider Guard as a way to get under the guy and use Marcelo's game (1 Leg X, Ankle Pick, Single Leg, etc. etc.), and its been working RIDICULOUSLY effective for him. Seeing that pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me, and I went back into full on Super Saiyan Fanboy mode.
I use Lo's spider guard to x guard entrance often. Some if the de la riva stuff is hard to let go of because its so easy. Getting the DLR hook and taking the back, omoplata, berimbolo is effortless for me at this point. I need to find the right mixture for sure. I'm knocking on the door of my purple belt and I feel like I need to fill some gaps before I get there. Phone Post
2/14/13 10:02 AM
JasonGV
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rival School - 
BackAddict347x -
Rival School -  But maybe that's why that style works for me. I play De La Riva for no other reason than its fun and flashy. I rode bmx for 10 years so style appeal is stuck in my head. But when it comes to efficiency everything I play like Marcelo works the best.

Yea, I was the same, played a ton of Spider, De La Riva, Reverse De La Riva, De La Spider, all that stuff. I decided for a month to abandon some of the things that I ordinarily would do, and JUST worked on the stuff that Marcelo did (entry and technique). Suffice to say i've been taking more and more things out of my game now and replacing them with the things that Marcelo does because its alot easier, and doesnt compromise my positioning if I make a mistake. A good example of this stuff being used by one of the worlds best today is Leandro Lo. He pretty much uses the De La Spider/Spider Guard as a way to get under the guy and use Marcelo's game (1 Leg X, Ankle Pick, Single Leg, etc. etc.), and its been working RIDICULOUSLY effective for him. Seeing that pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me, and I went back into full on Super Saiyan Fanboy mode.
I use Lo's spider guard to x guard entrance often. Some if the de la riva stuff is hard to let go of because its so easy. Getting the DLR hook and taking the back, omoplata, berimbolo is effortless for me at this point. I need to find the right mixture for sure. I'm knocking on the door of my purple belt and I feel like I need to fill some gaps before I get there. Phone Post

Doing anything effortlessly in BJJ is a big achievement, let alone at blue belt.

You must take lessons from Shen.
2/14/13 10:25 AM
Rival School

JasonGV -
Rival School - 
BackAddict347x -

Doing anything effortlessly in BJJ is a big achievement, let alone at blue belt.

Ehh at blue belt single moves can still get you pretty far. Most people only have one or two things they are good at but at purple they have a good handful of dangerous things and a good overall knowledge.

Luckily for me my 1 legged x guard, DLR, butterfly, North/South choke games are extensive but once I get to purple life is going to drastically change. Phone Post
2/14/13 11:27 AM
Rival School

PrisonMattressPuncher -

Sorry, blue belts shouldn't be talking about their "games".

Why? If I'm have a series of sweeps and transitions from a guard is that not a game? Phone Post
2/14/13 12:15 PM
JasonGV
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rival School - 
JasonGV -
Rival School - 
BackAddict347x -

Ehh at blue belt single moves can still get you pretty far. Most people only have one or two things they are good at but at purple they have a good handful of dangerous things and a good overall knowledge.

Luckily for me my 1 legged x guard, DLR, butterfly, North/South choke games are extensive but once I get to purple life is going to drastically change. Phone Post

Its great that your 1 legged dela heva, dragonfly, southern cross game is so extensive, but why does life drastically changed at purple?

2/14/13 12:26 PM
Ryan Thatcher

I love the site, but canceled my subscription a couple months ago. I just felt the content suitable for my game and body style was used up. I'm a tall lanky guy and can't play much butterfly due to knee problems. I do like the 1 leg x guard and 2on1 grip though. It would be nice if they showed more footage of Paul teaching classes. He has a similar build to me and his prospective on Marcelo's techniques would be cool.
2/14/13 12:44 PM
Rival School

JasonGV -
Rival School - 
JasonGV -
Rival School - 
BackAddict347x -

Its great that your 1 legged dela heva, dragonfly, southern cross game is so extensive, but why does life drastically changed at purple?

Competition wise white and blue I've seen people walk through competitions with one solid sub or sweep. You really don't need to be dynamic and the shift is purple really. That's about it. Phone Post
2/14/13 12:45 PM
Rival School

Ryan Thatcher - I love the site, but canceled my subscription a couple months ago. I just felt the content suitable for my game and body style was used up. I'm a tall lanky guy and can't play much butterfly due to knee problems. I do like the 1 leg x guard and 2on1 grip though. It would be nice if they showed more footage of Paul teaching classes. He has a similar build to me and his prospective on Marcelo's techniques would be cool.
I can see your point. Luckily my knee problems are minimal as of now Phone Post
2/16/13 9:19 AM
krept
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JRockwell -  You won't be sorry. If you really commit to learning and playing his game, you will be amazed at the results, and how much fun you're having. Phone Post

Can someone elaborate on this a little please?

I'm specifically interested how he covers his approach in terms of concepts.

This video is exactly what I'm talking about, but I don't know how much of it to attribute to Stephan asking the question re: beating stronger opponents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV692quvkYc

This is the stuff I am much more interested in... general approaches rather than Move Y from Position 1.

Thanks in advance.
2/17/13 6:53 AM
joelovesfishin
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're interested here's a link to a photo and video tutorial I did on how to use the site:

http://tinyurl.com/d78pavw

My MGinAction Tutorial: http://tinyurl.com/d78pavw

HOW TO FILLET A FISH: http://www.youtube.com/user/joelovesfishin?feature=mhsn
2/17/13 7:01 AM
joelovesfishin
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

krept - 
JRockwell -  You won't be sorry. If you really commit to learning and playing his game, you will be amazed at the results, and how much fun you're having. Phone Post

Can someone elaborate on this a little please?

I'm specifically interested how he covers his approach in terms of concepts.

This video is exactly what I'm talking about, but I don't know how much of it to attribute to Stephan asking the question re: beating stronger opponents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV692quvkYc

This is the stuff I am much more interested in... general approaches rather than Move Y from Position 1.

Thanks in advance.

There's a tab called "Discussions", where MG discusses different techniques, moves, positions, etc and why he does them. Sometimes it's him discussing during class or a student asking him 1 on 1 to breakdown something. It's my FAVORITE tab!

Here's one where he discusses his preference to grip for guillotines:

http://www.mginaction.com/VideoDetails.aspx?VideoId=11537

Here's one on his training philosophy for conditioning:

http://youtu.be/1wiTILJAPWE

2/17/13 9:50 AM
BackAddict347x
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrisonMattressPuncher - 

If this was 10yrs ago, maybe, but in todays day and age even white belts who've been training for about a year or so begin to have gameplans. If you go train at any of the schools focused on competitive BJJ (Alliance, LI's, ATOS, etc. etc.) you'll notice that even some of their better white belts have gameplans, and these are just their white belts. Once they get to blue belt it becomes a totally different story. When I was about 3-4 yrs into my Blue Belt I remember I had a gameplan, and that is what helped me move up to the next level because instead of just focusing hip bumps and armbars from closed guard, I was trying to be open to alot more.

Even Marcelo spoke of having Gameplans at Blue Belt, and Cobrinha as well. Marcelo has said that while most academies will teach you armbar from closed guard and hip escapes while at white belt, and wont show you the more advanced stuff till late blue early purple, he's the exact opposite. The minute you walk into his academy your learning X-Guard Gameplans, Butterfly Guard Gameplans, etc. etc. I say all of that to say that times have changed so much over the years due to growing fads in BJJ, and the willingness of world level black belts to openly show their games, and what they like to do.

Just my 02 cents

PS, MGinaction is awesome
2/17/13 6:27 PM
Rival School

joelovesfishin - If you're interested here's a link to a photo and video tutorial I did on how to use the site:

http://tinyurl.com/d78pavw

Ill watch this. Do you work for them or something? Phone Post
2/17/13 6:31 PM
Rival School

BackAddict347x -
PrisonMattressPuncher - 

If this was 10yrs ago, maybe, but in todays day and age even white belts who've been training for about a year or so begin to have gameplans. If you go train at any of the schools focused on competitive BJJ (Alliance, LI's, ATOS, etc. etc.) you'll notice that even some of their better white belts have gameplans, and these are just their white belts. Once they get to blue belt it becomes a totally different story. When I was about 3-4 yrs into my Blue Belt I remember I had a gameplan, and that is what helped me move up to the next level because instead of just focusing hip bumps and armbars from closed guard, I was trying to be open to alot more.

Even Marcelo spoke of having Gameplans at Blue Belt, and Cobrinha as well. Marcelo has said that while most academies will teach you armbar from closed guard and hip escapes while at white belt, and wont show you the more advanced stuff till late blue early purple, he's the exact opposite. The minute you walk into his academy your learning X-Guard Gameplans, Butterfly Guard Gameplans, etc. etc. I say all of that to say that times have changed so much over the years due to growing fads in BJJ, and the willingness of world level black belts to openly show their games, and what they like to do.

Just my 02 cents

PS, MGinaction is awesome
It's pretty ridiculous to think a blue wouldn't have a game plan. I've been a fan of grappling since 97. My dad has a subscription to grappling mag since then. I had that frowning up every month so I new everything about grappling from a third person view. By the time I started jiu jitsu I pretty much new the most officiant ways to train and the fastest ways to get better. Phone Post
2/17/13 8:39 PM
chickenscratch
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rival School, I'm sorry but you sound like an insufferable know-it-all kid. Can you add to the conversation? Undoubtedly. Do you lack humility? Undoubtedly. Phone Post
2/17/13 8:51 PM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
2/17/13 11:00 PM
Rival School

chickenscratch - Rival School, I'm sorry but you sound like an insufferable know-it-all kid. Can you add to the conversation? Undoubtedly. Do you lack humility? Undoubtedly. Phone Post
Where did I not show humility? By saying I have a game? By saying being a fan for a whole gave me a slight advantage. You can't really tell tone on a message board.

If someone said man you're good for a blue I'd say well luckily for me I've been a fan of grappling for like 15 years before I started so the learning curve was smaller.

I'm always looking to improve myself so if you could tell me how I lack humility I'd appreciate it. Phone Post
2/18/13 2:17 AM
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BenBJJ - Using code 'BenBJJ' will make the site work best.
Do u know if I already had a membership (had a yr membership that expired a few months back) if you would still get any sort of credit? Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.