UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gennady Golovkin

2/12/13 6:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
American Wrestling Black Belt
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the Boxing enthusiasts, how high are you on this guy? His style reminds me of Kostya Tszyu in the way he destroys his opponents but it's hard to tell just how good he is because he hasn't really fought any top guys.

He has been a champion for 2 years but has yet to face fellow champions Peter Quilllin, Dmitry Pirog, Daniel Geale,and Sergio Martinez or even contenders like Andy Lee, Martin Murray, Darren Barker, Matthew Macklin etc.

Do you think he hasnt really fought a name guy because he is one of those fighters that is high risk low reward as an opponent? I would love to see him take on Martinez or even move up in weight to face Ward although he seems like a small Middleweight so not sure just how possible that is. Thoughts?
2/12/13 10:52 AM
touch
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't know about Gennady. Sergey Golovkin was one of the scariest maniacs in history
2/12/13 12:08 PM
Fitchhelpsmesleep
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gennady is def comparible to Tyszu IMO. I get a strong feeling that Pirog wants nothing to do with him until he absolutely has to deal with him. I would like to see him fight with Chavez Jr and take some of his thunder up to Ward and Martinez. 

I'm certainly no award winning coach. But I also think Gennady needs to clean up a couple things defensively before Ward/Martinez and he'll be fine. lol not saying he'll beat either of those two as I have a seriously high respect for Martinez and Ward. 

2/12/13 12:16 PM
microMx
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no one wants to fight that guy, not chavez, not martinez, not pirog and especially not sturm...

high risk/low reward, it sucks because is a humble down to earth guy, maybe he needs to start talking trash and mowing Twinkies on his interviews.
2/12/13 2:21 PM
clayclamitia
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sold. It's been a long time since I have seen somebody with that type of punching power. Every time he hits someone cleanly you can see them react and you can see they dont want to be in there with him. And he can take a punch. I agree that I don't think he is quite ready for Sergio or Andre but would love to see him and Kessler scrap. Or him and Thurman would be a crazy fight. Phone Post
2/13/13 2:58 AM
Evzey
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not totally sold as you say it's much easier to look like a destroyer when you haven't fought a top guy Phone Post
3/30/13 12:39 PM
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a heads up for those who didnt know, Gennady fights today at 3 Eastern. Really looking forward to it as he has become my favorite combat athlete.
3/30/13 1:21 PM
Allucard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

American Wrestling Black Belt - For the Boxing enthusiasts, how high are you on this guy? His style reminds me of Kostya Tszyu in the way he destroys his opponents but it's hard to tell just how good he is because he hasn't really fought any top guys.

He has been a champion for 2 years but has yet to face fellow champions Peter Quilllin, Dmitry Pirog, Daniel Geale,and Sergio Martinez or even contenders like Andy Lee, Martin Murray, Darren Barker, Matthew Macklin etc.

Do you think he hasnt really fought a name guy because he is one of those fighters that is high risk low reward as an opponent? I would love to see him take on Martinez or even move up in weight to face Ward although he seems like a small Middleweight so not sure just how possible that is. Thoughts?

I used to be very high on the guy but when you're 30, had an extensive and successful amateur career under one of the best schools in boxing but are still fighting people who haven't won a fight since 2011, coming off 2 straight losses, I'm immediately quitting on you. I'm old enough to know something is up when they match you like this. Really good fighters pick up when their in their 20's. People hate Broner, it's easy to hate Broner but out of all the prospects (specially the stripper eating ones lol) he's had what you can call a real development, being 23, going up in weight, really stepping up... I'd love to see ALL cats in the game do that.
3/30/13 2:11 PM
Wicked smahtMF

GGG ftw
3/30/13 2:28 PM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

American Wrestling Black Belt - Just a heads up for those who didnt know, Gennady fights today at 3 Eastern. Really looking forward to it as he has become my favorite combat athlete.
Holy shit, thanks, dude! Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 6:30 PM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Golovkin training.

http://youtu.be/H0hxS85g1EQ Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 6:34 PM
brahmabull81
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Evzey -  I'm not totally sold as you say it's much easier to look like a destroyer when you haven't fought a top guy Phone Post

He pretty much beat them up in the ammys (even KOed Bute) and now they all avoid him.
3/30/13 6:55 PM
branchdavidian
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WHOA!!!
3/30/13 6:56 PM

That guy is something else. Really wish one of the top names around his weight would take the fight.
3/30/13 6:56 PM
brahmabull81
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When he knocks guys out he KNOCKS THEM OUT. So brutal man.
3/30/13 6:59 PM
branchdavidian
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/13 7:00 PM
2004 silver medalist, 345-5 amateur record, 26-0 with [edit:23] ko's as a pro. lou dibella manages both him and martinez tho
3/30/13 7:05 PM
I LOVE GSP

link to fight?
3/30/13 7:10 PM

Edited: 03/30/13 7:11 PM
Ishida went 12 with Pirog, gave Paul Williams a hell of a fight, KO'ed Kirkland and Golovkin took him out in 3. He is the real deal.
3/30/13 8:21 PM
HossPearson
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

American Wrestling Black Belt - Ishida went 12 with Pirog, gave Paul Williams a hell of a fight, KO'ed Kirkland and Golovkin took him out in 3. He is the real deal.
This. The guy beats Bute and Dirrell in the ammys and, by all accounts, handles Angulo, Chavez Jr. and Canelo in the gym? On top of everything else he has shown, I think this dude is poised for BIG things in the very near future. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 8:24 PM
caposa
1417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/31/13 12:33 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Allucard -
American Wrestling Black Belt - For the Boxing enthusiasts, how high are you on this guy? His style reminds me of Kostya Tszyu in the way he destroys his opponents but it's hard to tell just how good he is because he hasn't really fought any top guys.

I used to be very high on the guy but when you're 30, had an extensive and successful amateur career under one of the best schools in boxing but are still fighting people who haven't won a fight since 2011, coming off 2 straight losses, I'm immediately quitting on you. I'm old enough to know something is up when they match you like this. Really good fighters pick up when their in their 20's. People hate Broner, it's easy to hate Broner but out of all the prospects (specially the stripper eating ones lol) he's had what you can call a real development, being 23, going up in weight, really stepping up... I'd love to see ALL cats in the game do that.
Today was a stay busy fight.

GGG is back on HBO in June.

Today was strictly about keeping busy and placing it on a PPV platform to allow fans to see it if so desired.

GGG got work in, did what was expected and should be fine to fight again in 2 months or so.

If this were a HBO bout and he were off for 6 more months I'd agree with you but this wasn't a bout to keep him from fighting anyone but rather allowing him to keep working while steadily trying to get the better fights.

He is for real but the window is tight given his age so he is going to fight as often as possible in hopes of forcing an opportunity.

The problem is that he is high risk/low reward for anyone with a name.

He'll likely beat you and it won't be a big payday but rather a BAD telecast on HBO. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.