UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> IOC Officially Cuts Wrestling from 2020 Olympics

2/12/13 6:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HitchieG
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad news. Phone Post
2/12/13 6:56 AM
Pancake Syrup
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well there goes medals for the US and Russian. Complete bullshit though without the lame jokes
2/12/13 6:58 AM
HitchieG
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No reason or justification given as to why. What a joke. Some of the things in the Olympics I wouldn't even consider a sport and they drop a sport that has been there since the genesis of the Olympics. Phone Post
2/12/13 7:00 AM
Pancake Syrup
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HitchieG -  No reason or justification given as to why. What a joke. Some of the things in the Olympics I wouldn't even consider a sport and they drop a sport that has been there since the genesis of the Olympics. Phone Post

WE NEED MO PING POONG

-Asia
2/12/13 7:00 AM
graciesrule
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IOC is a complete joke
2/12/13 7:01 AM
simms
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As long as we still have Equestrian I'm cool with not having wrestling. Phone Post
2/12/13 7:02 AM
Jits_n_Hoez

Stupid idiots must be sniffing petrol. Phone Post
2/12/13 7:05 AM
the_shrike
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gotta make room for more extreme sports that get higher ratings

2/12/13 7:05 AM
Teenage mutant lesnar turtle
513 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats fucking ridiculous.

2/12/13 7:06 AM
MITman2k
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/12/13 7:07 AM

More here

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ioc-drops-wrestling-2020-olympics-18473870

"Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020.

The IOC executive board will meet in May in St. Petersburg, Russia, to decide which sport or sports to propose for 2020 inclusion. The final vote will be made at the IOC session, or general assembly, in September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

It is extremely unlikely that wrestling would be voted back in so soon after being removed by the executive board.

"Today's decision is not final," Adams said. "The session is sovereign and the session will make the final decision."

"

2/12/13 7:11 AM
FedorEmilioEstevez
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huh? Is synchronised swimming still in there? Phone Post
2/12/13 7:11 AM
N9K
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Add Combat Sambo and we'll call it even.
2/12/13 7:15 AM
Diazed And Confused
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Phone Post
2/12/13 7:26 AM
Xuh
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pancake Syrup - 
HitchieG -  No reason or justification given as to why. What a joke. Some of the things in the Olympics I wouldn't even consider a sport and they drop a sport that has been there since the genesis of the Olympics. Phone Post

WE NEED MO PING POONG

-Asia

thing is wrestling is 'big' in asia participation wise too. China & Japan do well, even countries like Mongolia, North Korea and India (the most unathletic country in the world) have good participation and success.

wrestling has the perfect olympic credentials, it dates back to the original games, there is widespread participation all over the world, the olympic gold is the sport's main prize, instead we increasingly get 3rd rate tennis, football, baseball (wtf), golf (WTF!!) competitions 'for the ratings' which noone even cares about the olympic gold in.

anyway... olympics just jumped the shark for me. =P
2/12/13 7:27 AM
Skip2MyLou
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestling has been part of the Olympics since Day 1, 1896.
This is some bullshit Phone Post
2/12/13 7:37 AM
Sudo21
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck IOC.
2/12/13 7:39 AM
Hired Gun
415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ping Pong is something you do with friends while downing countless beers not in the Olympics. I've never seen a High School Ping Pong Team or some type of Youth League for Ping Pong? Phone Post
2/12/13 7:47 AM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skip2MyLou - Wrestling has been part of the Olympics since Day 1, 1896.
/real day 1, Ancient Greece Phone Post
2/12/13 7:50 AM
Motivated Penn
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are looking at adding:

Baseball / softball
Karate
Squash
Sports climbing
Wakeboarding
Wushu (Kung-Fu)
Rollerskating / Skateboarding

In 2014 (Rio) they are adding golf and rugby.

I think the reason for removing wrestling is purely based on audience numbers for the sport, unfortunately.
2/12/13 7:51 AM
mikerobmma
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hired Gun - Ping Pong is something you do with friends while downing countless beers not in the Olympics. I've never seen a High School Ping Pong Team or some type of Youth League for Ping Pong? Phone Post
This. Along with a lot of the other bullshit kept in.

And don't give me the ratings arguments, because a lot of the bullshit they have there does poor ratings. Just think about some of the shit they kept in. Phone Post
2/12/13 7:51 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

This is not a bad thing.

FILA Wrestling in modern time has had to kowtow to the IOC. This is why there's weight classes 12kg apart (3 styles means lots of medals so weight classes have to be broad) and in the name of casual appeal you end up with 2 minute rounds and silly stuff like compulsory par terre in Greco Roman that lasted a couple of Olympic cycles.
2/12/13 7:53 AM
RONINXOM
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skip2MyLou - Wrestling has been part of the Olympics since Day 1, 1896.
. Phone Post
2/12/13 7:54 AM
MITman2k
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/12/13 7:54 AM
Hired Gun -  Ping Pong is something you do with friends while downing countless beers not in the Olympics. I've never seen a High School Ping Pong Team or some type of Youth League for Ping Pong? Phone Post

Well if you go to China  I'm sure you can find some. Pretty good sized country though so you'll probably be looking around a bit if you want to find all of the ping pong programs. But the point really ins't about popularity, it is about what committee assholes believe to be popular, or "worthy" for the olympic games. It's boosheet about wrestling but I thought it was also boosheet about getting rid of baseball from the games and I'm not surprised.

2/12/13 8:03 AM
Hired Gun
415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet Iowa is raging this morning Phone Post
2/12/13 8:21 AM
mikerobmma

Guess Jordan Burroughs better start his MMA training now, because those 3 golds aren't happening now. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.