UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can MMA help save Olympic wrestling?

2/12/13 9:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
awesomestprime
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I imagine everyone on this board feels the same way about wrestling being cut by the IOC.

There are guys in MMA who have some "star power". (some guys from the WWE/Wrasslin also)

Randy Couture, Sonnen, Lesner, and the like have the biggest voices to speak out and get the public and media to take note and do something about this.

For the first time MMA can do some real good for another sport. For one of it's bases. The MMA community has a responsibility to use all the resources available to fight the power.

FUCK curling, badmitten, ping pong (it's actually fun as hell), and speed walking....

LONG LIVE WRESTLING.
2/12/13 9:14 AM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sonnen is already doing his part, but yes the big names from wrestling in MMA need to speak on this Phone Post
2/12/13 9:16 AM
Beezulbubba
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No offense to curling fans, but that shite is just not an Olympic sport.
2/12/13 9:20 AM
Terry Etim for dinner
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beezulbubba - No offense to curling fans, but that shite is just not an Olympic sport.

Curling is a winter Olympics sports so makes no difference to Wrestling's spot.
2/12/13 9:24 AM
elysian
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/12/13 9:25 AM
No, not today. I mean show us the rough draft, the plan on how it could potentially work with your stars?

I mean, who does Anderson fight for? USA or Brazil?
What about Cain?

Now, how do you go about picking the 5-10 best fighters from each category and what categories will be at play, and pick them from each country that wants to compete in the Olympics in MMA? From a private organization that some fighters don't feel like signing their image to, thus are "not considered" ? It's just a big big mess right now. Plus, you'll need to have tournaments to find that best fighter, and so many things can go wrong.
2/12/13 9:28 AM
PK618
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait, they cut wrestling?

And kept Judo?

That is ... deeply confusing, as much of the excuse for leg grab rules in Judo seemed to be "to keep it distinctive from wrestling so we keep our Olympic spot" (among other things).

Either way, wrestling has been in the Olympics since very early in the modern Olympics and was part of the Ancient Olympics, plus almost every culture has a tradition of some sort of folk wrestling... why would they get rid of it?

I mean, if it means they stop fucking with the rules, get rid of Judo, keep wrestling, and teach the Judoka a wrestle so they can go to the Olympics... and I say this as a Judoka.
2/12/13 10:26 AM
garrote
465 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

elysian - No, not today. I mean show us the rough draft, the plan on how it could potentially work with your stars?

I mean, who does Anderson fight for? USA or Brazil?
What about Cain?

Now, how do you go about picking the 5-10 best fighters from each category and what categories will be at play, and pick them from each country that wants to compete in the Olympics in MMA? From a private organization that some fighters don't feel like signing their image to, thus are "not considered" ? It's just a big big mess right now. Plus, you'll need to have tournaments to find that best fighter, and so many things can go wrong.
Huh? Phone Post
2/12/13 10:33 AM
Ingrained Media
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

USA Wrestling is not supportive of MMA so I do not expect to see a lot of support. USA Wrestling dug its own grave with no marketing and not supporting MMA. They let the old chorines run it into the ground. The top guys at USA Wrestling made guys like King Mo make a choice. King Mo was more popular then USA Wrestling the second he walked away from USA Wrestling. Stephen Neal had to walk onto a New England Patriots team and was athlete enough to start in a few Super Bowls and win rings. So a guy USA Wrestling had was able to walk away and become a great athlete in Football because they had no place for him. Guys like Art Martori keep the sport going. Yet his heirs are not male and not fond of Wrestling. Art has passion and money. Once his money is gone you are left with a bunch of passionate guys that are not focused on making Wrestling a successful business.
2/12/13 10:44 AM
awesomestprime
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

https://secure.registration.olympic.org/en/faq/ask-question

ask them why!!!
2/12/13 10:47 AM
awesomestprime

Ingrained Media - USA Wrestling is not supportive of MMA so I do not expect to see a lot of support. USA Wrestling dug its own grave with no marketing and not supporting MMA. They let the old chorines run it into the ground. The top guys at USA Wrestling made guys like King Mo make a choice. King Mo was more popular then USA Wrestling the second he walked away from USA Wrestling. Stephen Neal had to walk onto a New England Patriots team and was athlete enough to start in a few Super Bowls and win rings. So a guy USA Wrestling had was able to walk away and become a great athlete in Football because they had no place for him. Guys like Art Martori keep the sport going. Yet his heirs are not male and not fond of Wrestling. Art has passion and money. Once his money is gone you are left with a bunch of passionate guys that are not focused on making Wrestling a successful business.

I understand this thought process and in so many ways you're right.

But what THE RIGHT thing to do? The MMA community can show it's true colors here and be "the bigger man".

The downfall of wrestling IS NOT good for MMA as a whole. There aren't many other ways to get elementary school kids into real training. My son wrestles at an elite club and those kids WORK HARD AS HELL from very young ages.
2/12/13 11:05 AM
awesomestprime

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Olympic-Wrestling/140684176096583

over 2000 followers in under an hour.

LIKE IT.... SHARE IT!!!
2/12/13 3:00 PM
Ingrained Media
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesomestprime - 
Ingrained Media - USA Wrestling is not supportive of MMA so I do not expect to see a lot of support. USA Wrestling dug its own grave with no marketing and not supporting MMA. They let the old chorines run it into the ground. The top guys at USA Wrestling made guys like King Mo make a choice. King Mo was more popular then USA Wrestling the second he walked away from USA Wrestling. Stephen Neal had to walk onto a New England Patriots team and was athlete enough to start in a few Super Bowls and win rings. So a guy USA Wrestling had was able to walk away and become a great athlete in Football because they had no place for him. Guys like Art Martori keep the sport going. Yet his heirs are not male and not fond of Wrestling. Art has passion and money. Once his money is gone you are left with a bunch of passionate guys that are not focused on making Wrestling a successful business.

I understand this thought process and in so many ways you're right.

But what THE RIGHT thing to do? The MMA community can show it's true colors here and be "the bigger man".

The downfall of wrestling IS NOT good for MMA as a whole. There aren't many other ways to get elementary school kids into real training. My son wrestles at an elite club and those kids WORK HARD AS HELL from very young ages.

You just answered your own question. USA Wrestling does not support MMA. You can not be on the World Ladder and compete in MMA. USA Wrestling will not support you. The "right thing to do" is exactly what your town is doing. build Elite Club level wrestling. So Coaches can get paid what they are worth. Coaches at the HS level in CA make about 3200 a year for teaching Wrestling. They could make that a month if they used a club system, organized tournaments and qualifiers. Turn the sport of wrestling into a passion filled business rather then fund some ridiculous notion that USA athletes should starve to compete for Olympic Gold.

Club Level Soccer and Gymnastics are filling the Olympic teams. They have learned how to make income and help the sport survive. Wrestling is not having a "downfall" because the IOC dropped them or Title 9. Wrestling is failing because Wrestling failed to market itself. When an "NFL" opportunity presented itself to Wrestling, USA Wrestling said no. now MMA is suppose to rescue USA Wrestling?

Anyone heard from Henry Cejudo lately? The guys was no able to read and could barely write. What did USA Wrestling do for him? Get him a tutor so he could compete in College? Allow him to compete in MMA while he waits fro the trails?

What kind of wrestler would King Mo be today? In wrestling he would not have to deal with submissions, kicks or punches, just wrestling. Yet he would have a fan base from MMA that may not follow wrestling. USA Wrestling could have harnessed that. They choose not too.
2/12/13 3:14 PM
eljamaiquino
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PK618 - Wait, they cut wrestling?

And kept Judo?

That is ... deeply confusing, as much of the excuse for leg grab rules in Judo seemed to be "to keep it distinctive from wrestling so we keep our Olympic spot" (among other things).

Either way, wrestling has been in the Olympics since very early in the modern Olympics and was part of the Ancient Olympics, plus almost every culture has a tradition of some sort of folk wrestling... why would they get rid of it?

I mean, if it means they stop fucking with the rules, get rid of Judo, keep wrestling, and teach the Judoka a wrestle so they can go to the Olympics... and I say this as a Judoka.
Judo is more spectator friendly than wrestling. you can watch dudes get flipped, arm snapped, and choked to sleep. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.