UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roufus: Aldo's low kicks a 'non issue' vs. Pettis

2/12/13 12:27 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

MMA and Muay Thai coach extraordaire Duke Roufuz recently sat down with MMA Fighting's Luke Thomas to discuss Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis, set to take place August 3, venue as yet undertermined. Roufus will be coaching Pettis as he drops to featherweight for the title shot.

Luke Thomas: I don't want you to give away your whole gameplan, but if you could give me one thing, what is one sort of technical flaw that you think could be taken advantage of against Aldo?

Duke Roufus: I'm not gonna say it's a flaw, but the one thing is the low kicks. The leg kicks are going to be a non-issue. Leg kicks are a cool thing until someone knows how to block it. When you know how to block it, he's the one that gets hurt, Aldo, not Anthony. That's the one thing that has given a lot of people trouble and that's the one thing Anthony prepared for real well with Cerrone and that was a non-issue there, too. Those leg kicks he launched, you saw Anthony block it and strike back right away. You did not see him throw a leg kick anymore.

That's the thing about MMA. Guys suck at blocking leg kicks. They're so worried about takedowns that they sometimes forget the leg kicks and when you know that someone likes to throw them a lot, you're ready for them. In other sports, they're not as common because people know how to defend them. That's the one thing I'll say will definitely affect Aldo's game. The kicking will be out. I believe Anthony's faster than him so the hands and other weapons, Anthony won't be in front of him for his knees and I can just say what Aldo is not going to do to him.

Read entire interview...

2/12/13 12:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
xXJayRobXx
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am so fucking excited for this fight!!!!!! Phone Post
2/12/13 1:06 PM
Willin
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are the best defenses to low kicks? Counter right straight? One handed cartwheel kick?

2/12/13 1:10 PM
GarlicSauce
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect to Roufus, but he *is* coaching Pettis, so take this claim with a grain of salt.
2/12/13 1:12 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Willin - 

What are the best defenses to low kicks? Counter right straight? One handed cartwheel kick?

Block with your shin. Like Duke said it hurts the kicker more than the one who blocks.
2/12/13 1:26 PM
Willin
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Once you check with your shin then what would be the best counter against Aldo? A right straight, no? Or would you be too off balanced to throw it with enough speed? It was really evident in the Edgar fight that Aldo leans much further forward more in his stance than someone like Frankie. I wonder what that opens him up to when facing someone with kicks like Pettis?
2/12/13 1:37 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really think this will be AMAZING fight, so long as the weight cut goes ok for both guys Phone Post
2/12/13 1:42 PM
ortman166

Can't wait for this fight. Should be insane Phone Post
2/12/13 1:45 PM
Stea1th

Edited: 02/12/13 1:44 PM

Only way to not get hurtt by a kick is to avoid it. Blocking it is still going to hurt like hell to both parties. The one throwing it and the one blocking it.

MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it will be an issue with peg legs.

MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it will be an issue with peg legs.

2/12/13 1:49 PM
Vril

One of the best interviews I've heard..

Duke Roufus = Coach of the Year

2/12/13 1:49 PM
disbeliever
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Going to be fight of the year IMO
2/12/13 1:53 PM
Brian Rule
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Duke but to no surprise he's exaggerating this point. Ernesto Hoost became a K-1 legend by destroying the legs of opponents who knew that was his very intention. I'm sure Aldo's opponents have been aware of his leg kicks too, especially after his Faber fight.

Pettis will be very game for Aldo, but unless you're Cecil Peoples, leg kicks will always be an issue
2/12/13 1:54 PM
in_different
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stea1th - 

Only way to not get hurtt by a kick is to avoid it. Blocking it is still going to hurt like hell to both parties. The one throwing it and the one blocking it.

actually, if you check correctly the blow should primarily affect the one throwing the kick. The person checking it should be perfectly fine.

However, assuming his low kicks get taken away, Aldo still has body kicks, punches, and knees. its crazy. Pettis will probably look to low kick seeing how much Edgar was able to land them. and Pettis throws much harder low kicks than Edgar.

I give the edge in the hands to Aldo. Same for head movement. But Pettis has a staggering array of high and mid kicks. all effective. Decent hands as well. Aldo may strike with flying knees to counter the unpredictability of Pettis. Both men will use the cage if they get near it, but you have to give that edge to Pettis.

Both may look to take this to the ground at some point, but eventually it gets nullified. So i see a primarily strikers match that could go either way. Or a close split decision that could have Pettis taking the first and last round and Aldo the middle rounds.
2/12/13 1:58 PM
Bloodstorm

One good leg check with your shin on the kickers instep of his foot will F his whole day up. Phone Post
2/12/13 2:04 PM
Duke Roufus
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport Academy, Owner
Vril - 

One of the best interviews I've heard..

Duke Roufus = Coach of the Year

Thank You!
2/12/13 2:16 PM
Duke Roufus
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/12/13 2:18 PM
Member of the UG since 2000. I used to be the Kickboxing forum moderator.

Fortunately, low kick defense is something I have focused for years in Muay Thai & Kickboxing. Blessed to train with coaches of SitYodtong, Jocky Gym, Fairtex, Toddy, Petnoi, Sor Ploenchit, Pud Pad Noi, Vos Gym & Seido Kai Kan. One thing i have focused is low kick defense & never being defeated by them.

Gonna be a great but the size of legs has nothing to do with kicking or defense. Ernesto has thin legs. A lot Thailand fighters have thin legs. It is actually an advantage!

We enjoy challenges. A lot of people on here said Cerrone would kill Anthony...
2/12/13 2:33 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke, what do you think about the monstrous leg kicks that Ricardo Arona would would throw in Pride ? Vanderlei Silva was a Muay Thai fighter, but those leg kicks literally knocked him down to the floor w/ Arona's legs/thighs, and trunk being so thick and powerful....How should Vanderlei have checked a kick that literally sent his weight sprawling to the floor ?
2/12/13 2:37 PM
Duke Roufus

I have sparred with Wanderlei he is a great guy & tough dude!

I think MMA Striking has evolved a lot since Pride & so have Wand & the fighters.
2/12/13 2:44 PM
beanouno
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The thing is though Aldo tends to throw punches after his kicks so there's more to worry about than just a leg kick. Phone Post
2/12/13 2:46 PM
Infamous Ed

Pettis is the man who can take it to Aldo, and Duke is the best coach to make it happen. I think duke-pettis are the best striking combo in MMA Phone Post
2/12/13 2:49 PM
EckY
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great interview with Duke about kickboxing/MMA and the different styles.

All the K-1 striking is overrated idiots should listen to that.

2/12/13 2:57 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pettis has the right style to defeat Aldo. But i will say the same thing i said with Frankie. Pettis gets away with a lot of things because of his speed at 155, he wont have that with Aldo. Frankie is one of the fastest guys at LW and there was still a noticable speed difference (until Aldo slowed down)

2/12/13 3:08 PM
Brian Rule
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke Roufus - Member of the UG since 2000. I used to be the Kickboxing forum moderator.

Fortunately, low kick defense is something I have focused for years in Muay Thai & Kickboxing. Blessed to train with coaches of SitYodtong, Jocky Gym, Fairtex, Toddy, Petnoi, Sor Ploenchit, Pud Pad Noi, Vos Gym & Seido Kai Kan. One thing i have focused is low kick defense & never being defeated by them.

Gonna be a great but the size of legs has nothing to do with kicking or defense. Ernesto has thin legs. A lot Thailand fighters have thin legs. It is actually an advantage!

We enjoy challenges. A lot of people on here said Cerrone would kill Anthony...

Duke! Love your contributions here, they truly make this better place to visit. Best of luck to you and your fighters

You've mentioned size of legs... could you elaborate more that? Conventional wisdom points to bigger being better but now I've heard from several highly credible sources that thin legs are actually tougher to handle.

Offhand I remember one K-1 announcer mentioning how Semmy's kicks felt like razor blades (?) coming in, due in part to his legs being so relatively thin, and the point of impact of his kicks was so small. You've mentioned Ernesto, and I'm sure countless others could be brought up.

I guess there's always the notion that thinner equates to weaker and more prone to injury (Corey Hill comes to mind) however maybe that's more of a bone density issue (?)

Thanks again for your input here. Any thoughts on this are immensely appreciated!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.