Vril
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/12/13 4:07 PM

corey_hill_leg_break

2/12/13 3:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LAE

Pettis will dictate what many of Aldos opponents havnt, Range.

Should be an incredible fight, cant wait for Jack Slack to go over this.

(I was really looking foward to Pettis vs Bendo II but this will do) Phone Post
2/12/13 3:15 PM
Duke Roufus
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport Academy, Owner
Brian Rule - 
Duke Roufus - Member of the UG since 2000. I used to be the Kickboxing forum moderator.

Fortunately, low kick defense is something I have focused for years in Muay Thai & Kickboxing. Blessed to train with coaches of SitYodtong, Jocky Gym, Fairtex, Toddy, Petnoi, Sor Ploenchit, Pud Pad Noi, Vos Gym & Seido Kai Kan. One thing i have focused is low kick defense & never being defeated by them.

Gonna be a great but the size of legs has nothing to do with kicking or defense. Ernesto has thin legs. A lot Thailand fighters have thin legs. It is actually an advantage!

We enjoy challenges. A lot of people on here said Cerrone would kill Anthony...

Duke! Love your contributions here, they truly make this better place to visit. Best of luck to you and your fighters

You've mentioned size of legs... could you elaborate more that? Conventional wisdom points to bigger being better but now I've heard from several highly credible sources that thin legs are actually tougher to handle.

Offhand I remember one K-1 announcer mentioning how Semmy's kicks felt like razor blades (?) coming in, due in part to his legs being so relatively thin, and the point of impact of his kicks was so small. You've mentioned Ernesto, and I'm sure countless others could be brought up.

I guess there's always the notion that thinner equates to weaker and more prone to injury (Corey Hill comes to mind) however maybe that's more of a bone density issue (?)

Thanks again for your input here. Any thoughts on this are immensely appreciated!

Thanks!

I am respectfully declining to tell you. They are my trade secrets I learned from masters of low kicks. What is in my head are my fighters advantages.

Sorry
2/12/13 3:38 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you focus on leg kick defense because of your brother's match against Changpuek Kiatsongrit?
2/12/13 3:54 PM
Duke Roufus
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/12/13 4:02 PM
YES!

Changed my life. A few weeks after that fight my Muay Thai Journey began!

I have never been dropped or stopped by low kicks. A personal pride for me.

If you can't beat them, join them...then beat them!
2/12/13 4:13 PM
Vril

Edited: 02/12/13 4:13 PM

2/12/13 4:17 PM
Duke Roufus

All my mistakes are the pain is my students gain! Phone Post
2/12/13 4:31 PM
Freddie Gavaria
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke Roufus - Member of the UG since 2000. I used to be the Kickboxing forum moderator.

Fortunately, low kick defense is something I have focused for years in Muay Thai & Kickboxing. Blessed to train with coaches of SitYodtong, Jocky Gym, Fairtex, Toddy, Petnoi, Sor Ploenchit, Pud Pad Noi, Vos Gym & Seido Kai Kan. One thing i have focused is low kick defense & never being defeated by them.

Gonna be a great but the size of legs has nothing to do with kicking or defense. Ernesto has thin legs. A lot Thailand fighters have thin legs. It is actually an advantage!

Duke! Huge huge fan, keep up the good work brother. You and your fighters represent what I love so much about this sport.

2/12/13 4:51 PM
yellow c0ckahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We'll see how much of a non-issue they are come fight time when Anthony actually feels them.

2/12/13 5:08 PM
Duke Roufus

Freddie Gavaria - 

Duke! Huge huge fan, keep up the good work brother. You and your fighters represent what I love so much about this sport.

Thank You So Much!
2/12/13 5:09 PM
HarmichaelKunt

Vril - 

Coming of a acl reco myself, it kills me to see someone else go down like that

2/12/13 5:09 PM
GladiatorGannon
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SKARHEAD - Duke, what do you think about the monstrous leg kicks that Ricardo Arona would would throw in Pride ? Vanderlei Silva was a Muay Thai fighter, but those leg kicks literally knocked him down to the floor w/ Arona's legs/thighs, and trunk being so thick and powerful....How should Vanderlei have checked a kick that literally sent his weight sprawling to the floor ?

"How should Vanderlei have checked a kick that literally sent his weight sprawling to the floor ? "

In a way that is really painful for his opponent.
2/12/13 5:26 PM
Duke Roufus

yellow c0ckahlc - 

We'll see how much of a non-issue they are come fight time when Anthony actually feels them.

Possibly...

The opponents that have been affected by Aldo's low kicks were not Muay Thai or Kickboxing background fighters.

Anthony has been training with me over 7 years, he joined my academy to become a Kickboxer. I steered him in the MMA direction due to decline of K1 & Kickboxing. He was offered to fight in K1 MAX in 2009 thru my Japanese contacts. I saw a bigger pot at the end of the MMA Rainbow. Here we are now!

Coming into the Cerrone fight I altered his training to adapt more to Muay Thai & Kickboxing of Cerrone. As well, a lot Thai body conditioning making legs/body much stronger in the process. In MMA fighters do not focus on this enough or have the time too. The preparation for Aldo will be in the same area as the last fight. Fortunately Anthony can use my experience & knowledge to his full advantage in this fight. I am a lover of the Low Kick, it breaks opponents. I understand the set ups, the delivery, the mindset, the timing & strategy of the low kick game. Its my game too!

Anthony is an amazing student of the game. He will be up for the challenge of Jose Aldo.

I have nothing but respect for Jose & his camp. They are killers!

Too Be the Best You have to Want to face & defeat the Best!
2/12/13 6:05 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Pettis, Aldo, Duke and NU.

Cant wait.

"Blessed to train with coaches of SitYodtong, Jocky Gym, Fairtex, Toddy, Petnoi, Sor Ploenchit, Pud Pad Noi, Vos Gym & Seido Kai Kan"

- This man knows striking!
2/12/13 6:06 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gokudamus stole my name - Pettis has the right style to defeat Aldo. But i will say the same thing i said with Frankie. Pettis gets away with a lot of things because of his speed at 155, he wont have that with Aldo. Frankie is one of the fastest guys at LW and there was still a noticable speed difference (until Aldo slowed down)

Can you elaborate on both Pettis and Frankie (vs Aldo stylistically)?
2/12/13 6:14 PM
dking
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/12/13 6:15 PM
yellow c0ckahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke Roufus - 
yellow c0ckahlc - 

Possibly...

The opponents that have been affected by Aldo's low kicks were not Muay Thai or Kickboxing background fighters.

Anthony has been training with me over 7 years, he joined my academy to become a Kickboxer. I steered him in the MMA direction due to decline of K1 & Kickboxing. He was offered to fight in K1 MAX in 2009 thru my Japanese contacts. I saw a bigger pot at the end of the MMA Rainbow. Here we are now!

Coming into the Cerrone fight I altered his training to adapt more to Muay Thai & Kickboxing of Cerrone. As well, a lot Thai body conditioning making legs/body much stronger in the process. In MMA fighters do not focus on this enough or have the time too. The preparation for Aldo will be in the same area as the last fight. Fortunately Anthony can use my experience & knowledge to his full advantage in this fight. I am a lover of the Low Kick, it breaks opponents. I understand the set ups, the delivery, the mindset, the timing & strategy of the low kick game. Its my game too!

Anthony is an amazing student of the game. He will be up for the challenge of Jose Aldo.

Well said.

Would you be surprised if Anthony fell from too many leg kicks?

2/12/13 6:57 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
Gokudamus stole my name - Pettis has the right style to defeat Aldo. But i will say the same thing i said with Frankie. Pettis gets away with a lot of things because of his speed at 155, he wont have that with Aldo. Frankie is one of the fastest guys at LW and there was still a noticable speed difference (until Aldo slowed down)

Can you elaborate on both Pettis and Frankie (vs Aldo stylistically)?

As i wrote in your thread about that fight. When a guy is used to having the speed advantage, he is used to a certain rythm and timing, we saw it early with Mighty Mouse and Dodson and then with Frankie and Aldo, they were getting hit at times where they would usually have avoided that same strike from slower opponents. Stylistically Frankie was not Aldos worst matchup, im not sure how many more wrestlers he has to defeat but he is right up there with GSP in terms of TD defense. Aldo is a mini Chuck Liddell with better BJJ

With Pettis its more interesting. Pettis has excellent footwork, he is very good at maneuvering his opponent to the range he wants them at, everyone knows about his kicks but his hands are actually just as good, he seems really good at countering peoples kicks with punches. Thats why Duke seems so confident about the lowkicks, now add in that Aldo is 5,7 and Pettis is 5,10 with a decent reach advantage and i would be hesitant about going for lowkicks if i was Aldo

Of course this is all moot since Aldo shouldnt have any problems going for the TD and his BJJ on paper should be very good

FRAT
2/12/13 7:07 PM
Rusty Shackleford
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke Roufus -
yellow c0ckahlc - 

Possibly...

Although you did the right thing, I would love to see Anthony in k-1 max. Phone Post
2/12/13 7:28 PM
mijo

Pettis has never fought anyone as fast as Aldo! He will land some leg kicks. Roufus would have not brought it up, if he was not worried about it. Phone Post
2/12/13 7:48 PM
Duke Roufus

yellow c0ckahlc - 
Duke Roufus - 
yellow c0ckahlc - 

Possibly...

Well said.

Would you be surprised if Anthony fell from too many leg kicks?

Thanks!

Yes & no because anything can happen in a fight. One man trying to beat another man for a world champions brings fire works.

Got work cut out but excited for the challenge.
2/12/13 7:50 PM
Stu Cazzo

In Duke I Trust

2/12/13 7:50 PM
Duke Roufus

mijo -  Pettis has never fought anyone as fast as Aldo! He will land some leg kicks. Roufus would have not brought it up, if he was not worried about it. Phone Post

They asked in the interview for Aldo flaws. I choose not to mention them.

I choose to focus on talking about his strengths & shutting them down.
2/12/13 7:52 PM
Duke Roufus

Thanks for feed back.

A little under the weather at home been at fights with team last 5 out of 6 weeks.

Talk soon. Whether you are for Aldo or Pettis this is gonna be a great fight!
2/12/13 8:15 PM
ausgepicht

Willin - 

What are the best defenses to low kicks? Counter right straight? One handed cartwheel kick?

Spike it with your knee or straight right. Spiking with your knee is the smallest, most efficient and most damaging. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.