UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Knee wrapping for squatting? TME

2/12/13 2:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Irish Dave
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thoughts? Seems to be best used with weight over 85% of max. How to wrap? What length wraps are best? Do you loosen them between sets etc etc thanks in advance. Phone Post
2/12/13 2:53 PM
jeremy hamilton
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the purpose of your squatting? If it's to get stronger than knee wraps are not needed. If you are planning to compete in a meet where knee wraps are allowed then go nuts.

If your knees hurt then there is a reason why and you should look into that, knee wraps will not help.

For some tightness and warmth you could always go with some knee sleeves. Rehband makes really good ones.
2/12/13 3:10 PM
Leigh
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As usual, Jeremy is correct.

I have used knee wraps for training. You roll them up really tight, sit down with your leg straight and then bind it as tightly as possible. One width above the knee and one width below. Your leg can't bend and it's not pleasant - like wearing a bench shirt. Phone Post
2/12/13 3:43 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jeremy hamilton - What is the purpose of your squatting? If it's to get stronger than knee wraps are not needed. If you are planning to compete in a meet where knee wraps are allowed then go nuts.

If your knees hurt then there is a reason why and you should look into that, knee wraps will not help.

For some tightness and warmth you could always go with some knee sleeves. Rehband makes really good ones.

What this dude said. :)
2/12/13 4:08 PM
Taku
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As Leigh was alluding, not a good idea to wrap directly over the knee-cap. This can cause some issues over time. The knee-cap should remain exposed (IMHO)

TAKU

2/12/13 8:25 PM
AdrianK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2012/07/the-benefits-of-assistance-gear.html
2/12/13 8:30 PM
AdrianK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/12/13 8:34 PM
Knee wraps are not like wearing bench shirt. Wraps do give you some help but a bench shirt is like wearing a piece of machinery to do the lifting for you.

Would be more comparable to a reactive slingshot on the bench but I don't think they even give you quite that much.
2/12/13 9:08 PM
1800champagne
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The old blue Rehbands are a damned good investment.
2/13/13 12:19 AM
Leigh
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AdrianK - Knee wraps are not like wearing bench shirt. Wraps do give you some help but a bench shirt is like wearing a piece of machinery to do the lifting for you.

Would be more comparable to a reactive slingshot on the bench but I don't think they even give you quite that much.
Wraps do the same thing. If you don't get a significant boost, you're wrapping them wrong. Phone Post
2/13/13 5:19 AM
Irish Dave
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys. Working to get stronger, no intention of competing. Will stay unwrapped so. Phone Post
2/13/13 10:56 AM
AdrianK

Leigh you must have some pretty amazing knee wrapping technique if you are getting a 200+ pound boost on your squat.
2/13/13 1:14 PM
Leigh

I get about 25kg out of a shirt and similar from wraps Phone Post
3/1/13 5:54 AM
Seemore Butts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I get 25lbs out of my metal wraps.

I only use them when I am near a meet. And as others have said, if you wrap them right, or your training partner does, it is insanely painful and uncomfortable.
3/1/13 9:42 AM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If squatting properly there shouldn't be any pain in your knees. I would correct your form/technique. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.