UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mike DOLCE DIET Q&A Wed 8:00 PM ET

2/13/13 7:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Flyers179
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

strengthcoach - Hey guys!
I'm getting ready to start answering your questions but wanted to ask the best way to do it?
Should I copy and paste your question into my new reply each time with my answer or can I quote a post directly like many of you seem to do. Am I missing that link / button?
Thanks!
-Mike Dolce

Upper right hand side of each post Mike. Thanks for doing this.

I'm currently recovering from a torn labrum. Not exercising like I'm used to and ballooned from a very lean 175-185 to 220. I'm currently on a diet that consists of a lot of fish (flounder, salmon, cod, trout) on a bed of greens. I'm back down to 203 within of month of starting to diet.

Do you believe though I am in any way hindering my body's ability to recover from injuries by eating a calorie restrictive high protein/fat diet?
2/13/13 7:31 PM
Kimbos Lice
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it possible to get a 6pack in a week? I'll post pics for after dark. Phone Post
2/13/13 7:44 PM
strengthcoach
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom Lawlor - 
What do you recommend for post workout?

What's up Tom, I actually recommend a fresh fruit and vegetable shake immediately prior to work out. Immediately, being before you even step off the mat, you should be drinking this. 30 to 45 minutes later it's time for a well-balanced meal.
Most of the muscle first crowd may flame me for this but they can't argue with the performances, lean mass ratios and level of health my athletes are known for.
Shoot me a DM on twitter.
2/13/13 7:44 PM
strengthcoach
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

How come Cyborg is so reluctant to cut to 135?  Do you think it's more fair for her and Ronda to fight at a catchweight of 140?

I don't know the exact reasons behind this situation. As to what is fair, again, I really don't know.
What I do know is, there are no catch-weight's for world titles. It is either 135 pounds for 145 pounds.
2/13/13 7:45 PM
strengthcoach

torquemada -  Oh boy!

Thoughts in carb intake and timing of simple vs complex carb intake?

Are you a proponent for fasted am cardio for fat loss?

Toughest and easiest client to work with?

OK, I'll contain myself now. Phone Post

Simple carbs immediately post workout.
I enjoy fasted, steady-state, low intensity, medium volume cardio.
All my clients are awesome!
2/13/13 7:45 PM
strengthcoach

herwil10 - What macro-nutrient ratio do you recommend during a cut? What ratio for gaining muscle?

What formula do you use for calculating daily caloric needs?

Thoughts on intermittent fasting? (Something like 16 hours fasted, 8 hours feeding)

Thoughts on carb backloading?

Thoughts on keto diets for athletes?

We do not follow macronutrient ratios as each individual is unique. We do not use a formula as we do not determine caloric needs. We focus instead on quality of nutrients, not calories. Intermittent fasting is good for short periods of time but I prefer a more sustainable nutrition approach.
Carb back loading is more geared toward bodybuilders but again is a short-term program. I believe in well-balanced diet for athletes.
2/13/13 7:46 PM
strengthcoach

kungfufedor -  Could u get rumble back down to 170? Phone Post

No. I spoke with Rumble two times while he was still competing as a welterweight to determine whether or not we would work together and I did not believe he should be at 170 pounds and actually did suggest to him he should be a light heavyweight. I am very happy to see how well he's doing since moving up weight classes. Rumble is a great guy.
2/13/13 7:47 PM
strengthcoach

CindyO - 

Have you heard of FitnessVT.com? If so, what's your opinion of this system?

Cindy

Hi Cindy, I have heard of Fitness VT. Their system seems to be clean as far as I can tell from their website. I have not seen their meal plans or complete philosophies. Their approach seems to be honest but their price seems to be very high.
You can obtain my books THE DOLCE DIET LIVING LEAN or the LIVING LEAN COOKBOOK for $9.99 on iTunes & Kindle and not have to spend another dime on a lifer plan again.
Fitness VT charges from $40 per month to over $300 per month.
I'm not trying to plug my books or bash what may be a good program but highlighting options. We have over 4,500 testimonials favorited on my twitter account @TheDolceDiet from people who are losing dozens to over 100 pounds from just reading one book.
2/13/13 7:48 PM
strengthcoach

savage animal - 

thanks for doing this Mike!

thoughts on Carb Back Loading by Kiefer?

When your website was fairly new, you offered, for a premium of course, custom nutrition planning for the average joe/non-pro athlete. Assuming you are not still offering this, due to time restraints, is there any reasonable substitute you can recommend?

Carb back loading can be an effective short-term, for bodybuilder or cosmetic minded individuals. Kiefer is a smart guy and he's fun to listen. I did buy his book. His thoughts and philosophies are very matter of fact. CBL just doesn't seem sustainable long-term, especially for combat athletes.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to take on any more clientele. What we are doing instead, is conducting seminars. I am happy and available to speak at your school gym company association around the world. My schedule is quite busy although I do try and fill a dozen dates per year. Click the SEMINAR tab on THE DOLCE DIET .COM
2/13/13 7:48 PM
strengthcoach

Vitor Me A New One -  What is Bigfoot Silva's walking around weight? Phone Post

When I started working with Bigfoot in April 2012 he was close to 300 pounds. I believe now he's walking in the high 280s fairly lean. Bigfoot is an athletic phenomenon.
2/13/13 7:49 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
1724 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NerdQuestionOfTheDay.com, Owner

Thoughts on intermittent fasting? (20 fasted 4 feeding, specifically).

2/13/13 7:49 PM
strengthcoach

NewGenUfcFan - Thanks Mike, everybody here respects you immensely.

Do you think the sport would be safer, healthier, and more competitive if the Unified Rules of MMA switched the weigh-ins to day-of-the-fight?
I am tired of hearing so much about fighters missing weight, getting injured or sick because of weight cutting, and huge mismatches in size within weight classes. Worries me and it seems to be less fair.

Thanks

Great question! This is one of my passions. Personally, I believe a 36 hour weigh-in would be the healthiest for the athlete.
I say this because, unfortunately, athletes will always cut weight.
In a same-day weigh-in, an athlete will still cut as much weight as he or she can, to try and give themselves a size and strength advantage.
This leaves little time to rehydrate and counter-intuitive as it is, we see this all the time. Often, in the sport of amateur wrestling, even at an elite level.

It should be noted, if it were 100% my decision, all athletes would choose to compete at what I call their, "3 Week Weight."
Athletes know what I mean here.
They have been training hard for six or so weeks, eating perfectly and in great shape. This is usualy the best version of themselves.
Three weeks out is where most athletes peak and then watch their health and performance ability erode through drastic weight cutting measures.
2/13/13 7:50 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
http://thedolcediet.com/
2/13/13 7:51 PM
strengthcoach

falsecrack - 

How do you manage macronutrient combinations for any athlete who is cutting (well in advance of competition?)  Do you follow any basic split - like 40/30/30?  Or do you customize your nutrition plan?

What supplements do you feel are essential?  Which ones do you use personally?

How do your athletes cut so much weight and then regain it prior to competition without ill effects?  What is in the post-weigh in rehydration?

Are you utilizing large water consumption followed by a tapering off 2-3 days out?  Or is it something different than a water-weight cut?

We do not focus on macronutrient levels. Instead we focus on the quality of nutrients. We make sure the athlete feels good, strong, and healthy. It's very simple in practice.

I don't believe any supplement is essential. Due to geographic location and nutrient availability supplements can be useful.

My athletes are able to cut weight in a healthy manner because they are healthy. That seems to be lost in translation somewhere. Most people associate weight cutting with very unhealthy practices. We aim to be healthy 100% of the time. 24 hours a day seven days a week or goal is to be healthy first. That's why the athlete is able to cut weight feel great and perform at such high levels. Because they are healthy. Again commonsense.
2/13/13 7:54 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Mike!

2/13/13 7:56 PM
strengthcoach

falsecrack - 

Any literature you would recommend nutrition-wise?

And how'd you become the "weight cut guru?"

Thanks!

Read everything! Learn from all experiences.
Some of my strongest research comes from the fields of ultra-distance training and native species.

Reputation and resume.
2/13/13 7:58 PM
strengthcoach

UGCTT_El Pescadero - 
CindyO -

Have you heard of FitnessVT.com? If so, what's your opinion of this system?

Cindy

Have seen you ask this question a few times... You got me intrigued, hope Dolce has sum sound insight!

Mike,

Thoughts on best time to do Cardio, before or after Lifting Weights...Have heard different opinions on what's ideal, I drink a Product called Recoup(recovery stuff, amino's n B's) while lifting and then while doing cardio after I lift. But had someone say I should not do cardio after lifting and immediately consume protein (which I do right after lifting n cardio) and rest, but also had someone tell me its fine especially cause im drinking the recoup (not completely starving the freshly pumped guns..lol) what would you recommend for someone who started at 235lb is down to 220 in about 5 weeks of no mayo, no butter, no sugar and gym 6 days a week(chest/tri, back/bi, legs/shoulders) want to get to 205, then bulk back up with muscle... Lifting for about an hour then cardio for the same... mostly ride bike but do 55min and usually burn about 500-550 calories...fluctuate from level 10 to 12 and never let my RPM's get below 100.

Thoughts or Recommendations on cardio, food and supplements?

Thanks for your help... Really appreciate the advice!

this is the Stuff i Drink:

And this is on average what it says im burning when im Cardio'n

War team Darkside
War team All Health
War Team Ab Phone Post

Early morning, steady state, fasted cardio can be effective for fat loss, as well as high intensity interval training. Each should be rotated.

As to supplements in general, I always look first the ingredient list and determine their health impact. Are there artificial ingredients? Chemicals? Only then, do I determine if the risk is worth the reward.
Keep your training intense and change everything every three weeks.
2/13/13 7:58 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt you'll get to this question, but I'll ask just in case.

I saw you on the JRE, and what was really interesting to me is how you are able to get your athletes to lose so much weight without killing themselves in the sauna.  If my memory serves, you said that your clients are losing weight while they're doing every day activities.

As a total nutrition noob, what is it about the Dolce Diet that allows guys like Chael Sonnen to lose 25 lbs in 24 hours and not kill himself doing it?

2/13/13 7:59 PM
strengthcoach

Malvert the Janitor -  What's the deal with cyborg? Thought Dolce was gonna get her down... Phone Post

Not sure.
2/13/13 8:00 PM
strengthcoach

TheAssMurderer - 

A few questions for you, Mike -

1- I've noticed my Metabolism slowing down some. Not much, but it is noticeable - I'm mid-30's now. Is there a way to combat this? I once had a light-speed metabolism and miss it, lol.

2 -Do you have a recipie book that you like to use? How about a recipe book of "quick meals", or meals that are quick and easy to prepare/

3- If you could only eat 5 items per day for the rest of your life, what 5 foods would you eat?

4- Do you still offer a t-shirt for leaving a review of your book? If so, how does one go about getting the shirt? Just curious, thanks!

Thanks, Mike

Slow metabolism is common with age. You can also speed your metabolism up through regular exercise. Also a balanced diet of earth grown nutrients will certainly allow you to make progress.

Yes we have the DolceDiet living lean which has recipes and workout programs and we also have the living mean cookbook which is the companion book to living in all there are a bad 180 recipes.

Quinoa chia seeds avocado kale red grapes

Actually, that was a one time promotion but it sounds like fun! For limited time we will give a free T-shirt to everyone that it's a worthy review on Amazon or iTunes.
2/13/13 8:03 PM
strengthcoach

RobinHood -  Hey Mike,

Could you share your thoughts on MCT / coconut oil as an energy source/weight loss? I think I heard to you mention cooking fried coconut chicken for Rampage. Phone Post

MCT or medium chain triglycerides and coconut oil are amazing. I first learned about the powerful benefits of MCT oil in the early 1990s from John Parillo. Parrillo was ahead of the time in those days preaching the benefits of MCT oils, like coconut oil. Parrillo even had his own line and I believe still does to this day. Over the last 20 years I have also used coconut oil and different MCT in my diet as many of you know through my famous recipes Coconut Fried Chicken or Coconut Baked Pancakes. Many of the Dolce Diet recipes include coconut oil.
I even add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to my coffee every morning and it is absolutely amazing and nutritious.
2/13/13 8:04 PM
strengthcoach

sitchpack -  Why are you such a bro? Phone Post

XY chromosomes bro
2/13/13 8:06 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/13/13 8:07 PM
Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

where does one find coconut oil, a specialty/health food store ?

2/13/13 8:08 PM
strengthcoach

phillymmafan -  What's the science behind fat loss? Deeper than all that less calories in more calories burnt. Phone Post

Much more determines body fat than the simple calorie in vs calorie out equation.
In my opinion, calories have a much reduced role in lean mass and overall health than a focus on quality of nutrients.
It is very difficult to overeat when simply consuming supreme nutrients.
I have found, that when fed and rested optimally, the human body will naturally gravitate to a state of vital health.
2/13/13 8:08 PM
strengthcoach

RobinHood -  Hey Mike,

Could you share your thoughts on MCT / coconut oil as an energy source/weight loss? I think I heard to you mention cooking fried coconut chicken for Rampage. Phone Post

Check back a few posts ago for my take on supps. I'm not talking about the one pictured or any in particular but as a rule most are unnecessary.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.