UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mike DOLCE DIET Q&A Wed 8:00 PM ET

2/13/13 8:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jaytrainwreck
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would be your ideal breakfast? Phone Post
strengthcoach
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Adrian -  Thoughts on farm fresh dairy? Phone Post

I'm not really a fan or advocate of dairy as a rule. There are some good farms out there and a few good products but they are truly few and far between.
Health & sanitary guidelines must be of the utmost quality and really it's just not cost prohibitive to run a profitable and healthy dairy farm.
strengthcoach
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Dinamita -  Best snacks or bars to eat between meals? Phone Post

You should always bring your own Apple and almond butter and avocado and and orange are great on the go snacks a bag a Ziploc bag of cashews and dried fruits with coconut slices is amazing so you don't need bars. Lara bars and Kind bars are okay in a pinch.
2/13/13 8:11 PM
strengthcoach

JamesDean57 - Really appreciate you doing this.
What do you recommend for a sweet tooth.

My pleasure. I suggest frozen red grapes for a sweet tooth. These are absolutely amazing. Also YouTube my video called blueberry madness. That recipe is awesome if you have a sweet tooth.
2/13/13 8:12 PM
strengthcoach

berger -  I would love to hear your thoughts on the Wheat Belly book and the idea that wheat in its modern form is no longer good for anyone. Is this just incorrect, or maybe just taken too far and moderation is the key? Phone Post

I do have the Wheat Belly book and though I like some of the concepts, I do believe that the principles were taken too far to sell the title and sell the book and sell the life I understand that. I just do not agree.
I believe most of the problems with wheat product is the high processing and chemical additives. I believe our body has a much harder time breaking down these chemicals then it would organically grown nutrients such as wheat. I live what I call a gluten modified diet. Never do I eat processed wheats and we rotate other grains through our diet not relying solely on wheat like many Americans do.
2/13/13 8:12 PM
strengthcoach

sevr1 - What is your favorite easy to prepare, healthy meal?

Eating right can be expensive. What are some inexpensive meal ideas?

My favorite easy to prepare, healthy meal is definitely my breakfast bowl. Check out Twitter check out Facebook you'll see pictures of the breakfast bowl everywhere mentions of the breakfast bowl and yes it is extremely inexpensive. Boats fruits and seeds nuts done. ( I said nuts!)
2/13/13 8:13 PM
strengthcoach

UGCTT_SidRival - 

I did this haha. I'm sure it would have happened eventually but I got the ball rolling this afternoon. Awesome and ur welcome haha.

Phone Post

Edit: ps Wednesday is my birthday and my blue is up on the 21st.. Just in case anyone wants to help a brother out :)

Appreciate the idea! Shoot me a DM on twitter and I'll send you out a book.
2/13/13 8:14 PM
strengthcoach

UGCTT_SidRival -  Questions I had off the top of my head..

How much of getting into shape is working out and how much is diet?

What is a healthy workout regimen (i.e. cardio m/w/f and strength t/t/s)?

How much is too much?

Long distance running for mma conditioning, good or bad? Phone Post

Getting shape is 100% diet. Without diet you cannot train. Now one should not be without the other but if you only train hard you will go nowhere if you only eat well you will go very far.
Generally 2 to 4 days of resistance training per week and 24 days of cardiovascular based flexibility mobility training per week would be a great starting system. From that point you can make additions based upon your specific goal. I prefer to work in three weeks cycles. Targeted goals every three weeks.
2/13/13 8:15 PM
strengthcoach

Cementhead - Hi Mike,

Is it better to workout in the morning (which is near impossible for me with 3 kids) or at night when I am super tired and less motivated lol. Serious question. Love the recipes in your book by the way.

The best time to work out is when you work out. Let's not put obstacles in front of us let's find routes to success. Can you do 10 bodyweight squats tomorrow morning and do a 20 minute workout tomorrow night? If you say yes tomorrow do a 11 bodyweight squats in the morning and continue on with your 20 or 30 or 40 minute workout in the evening. Allow your body to make progress slowly but definitively. One rep per day one minute one second one exercise one thought one decision per day can make the difference!
2/13/13 8:15 PM
strengthcoach

Ray Elbe -  Thoughts on interval swimming...as I've been running for cardio for years, no alternating swimming which seems to be lower impact, just not sure if the workout transfers the same Phone Post

What's up Ray?! I am a fan of interval swimming. Many of my athletes have used it quite effectively and torn his reign in pride show gondola was associated with swimming as his primary mode of conditioning training in those days show gun was a conditioning machine. Personally I swim like Rocky Balboa, so I prefer to run!
2/13/13 8:16 PM
strengthcoach

trblesum13 -  How do you keep your goatee so frigging sexy. Phone Post

Coconut Oil...
2/13/13 8:16 PM
caseharts
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

strengthcoach -
JamesDean57 - Really appreciate you doing this.
What do you recommend for a sweet tooth.

My pleasure. I suggest frozen red grapes for a sweet tooth. These are absolutely amazing. Also YouTube my video called blueberry madness. That recipe is awesome if you have a sweet tooth.
That never does it for me. I like chocolate :( Phone Post
2/13/13 8:18 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

strengthcoach - 
trblesum13 -  How do you keep your goatee so frigging sexy. Phone Post

Coconut Oil...

I knew it wasn't natural.

2/13/13 8:19 PM
strengthcoach

quarcus -  What protein source has the best amino acid profile for recovery? How many grams of protein do you Allow per meal? And also maintenance caloric needs calculation/ macro split. Thank you. Phone Post

There are different schools of thought using way protein sources isolates, casein and other blended protein powder sources.
Personally I prefer to get my amino acids from real food. Animal proteins are very high in amino acids as are certain plant-based sources like quinoa. I prefer a wide variety of diverse protein sources.
In my experience I found high protein consumption to be much less important for health fitness performance across the board. The common bodybuilding perception of 2 g per pound of body weight is far in excess of what any hard training healthy adult would need. I prefer and have seen tremendous success at a general protein ratio of .8g to 1.2g per lbs of lean body mass.
We don't focus on calorie needs or macro splits the principles are much simpler gripper nutrients even intervals.
2/13/13 8:22 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
405 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

I weigh 250 and have never been able to get anywhere near 250 grams of protein in me per day :-(

2/13/13 8:23 PM
strengthcoach

gooddoc -  2 words

Nutella sandwiches

Discuss. Phone Post

I believe in evolution of progress as the true means to succeed whether it be weight-loss or performance or anywhere in life. Progress that is constantly evolving.
For some, Nutella sandwiches are much healthier than what an individual might be currently eating.
So if I can suggest an athlete eat 2 tablespoons of Nutella with one half banana 2 tablespoons of almond butter on one slice of a sprouted grain toast instead of their typical Snickers bars he would normally eat, well the Nutella sandwiches are a positive step in the evolution.
Eventually and in short time the athlete will be making their own butters at home similar to myself.
It is all about progress and forming new habits.
2/13/13 8:23 PM
strengthcoach

Ray Elbe -  Thoughts on interval swimming...as I've been running for cardio for years, no alternating swimming which seems to be lower impact, just not sure if the workout transfers the same Phone Post

I believe you can have equal progress running or swimming. Now if we talk about sports specific performance and then one form may be better suited to the other. For general health and wellness I believe each is equal.
2/13/13 8:25 PM
strengthcoach

UGCTT_SidRival -  How much water should we drink a day? I've heard a good measurement is half your body weight in ounces (i.e. I weigh approx 170 lbs, therefore I should drink at least 85oz of water a day). Is this true?

Also how does homemade unsweetened ice tea measure up against water? I drink as much water as I can but I love me some tea. Phone Post

When it comes to where I say drink as much as possible. I live in Las Vegas, this is a desert. I am 200 pounds and I drink 2 gallons of water per day every day when I exercise vigorously I sometimes drink up to 3 gallons in a day. My wife is 125 pounds and she drinks 1 gallon per day every day. Hydration is necessary. The three essential elements in human survival are oxygen, water and food. Water is the second most essential function for human survival. Unfortunately most people are extremely dehydrated.
Anything I drink tea, coffee, juice is bonus. it's on top of my water guidelines. This way I am always guaranteed to it me or exceed my expected water intake .
2/13/13 8:25 PM
strengthcoach

Ceelo - Thanks for doing this. My question

I am 6'5 1/2 250lbs, my goal is 270lbs of muscle mass, How can I accomplish this? What would be the best way to attack it? What Supplements should I be using? Thank you again.

Simple answers train compound movements. Deadlifts squats chin-ups Rose. Move heavy weights with perfect form. Constantly strive to lift heavier or more reps. Train anywhere between five reps and 12 reps. Change programs every three weeks. Constantly strive to improve. In all of the earth grown nutrients, in even intervals. Sleep and rest well. Avoid Extertal distractions. In enjoy the process!
2/13/13 8:26 PM
strengthcoach

ArtisticStrength -  Do you have your athletes count their calories or do they go off of how they feel? Phone Post

Now we do not count calories we make calories count!!
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

strengthcoach - 
UGCTT_SidRival -  How much water should we drink a day? I've heard a good measurement is half your body weight in ounces (i.e. I weigh approx 170 lbs, therefore I should drink at least 85oz of water a day). Is this true?

Also how does homemade unsweetened ice tea measure up against water? I drink as much water as I can but I love me some tea. Phone Post

When it comes to where I say drink as much as possible. I live in Las Vegas, this is a desert. I am 200 pounds and I drink 2 gallons of water per day every day when I exercise vigorously I sometimes drink up to 3 gallons in a day. My wife is 125 pounds and she drinks 1 gallon per day every day. Hydration is necessary. The three essential elements in human survival are oxygen, water and food. Water is the second most essential function for human survival. Unfortunately most people are extremely dehydrated.
Anything I drink tea, coffee, juice is bonus. it's on top of my water guidelines. This way I am always guaranteed to it me or exceed my expected water intake .

You must pee frequently.

strengthcoach

Letibleu - 

If someone knows nothing about weight loss and working out, how should they proceed?

Very slowly. Going to see a doctor. This is very important have a complete health check done. Ask your doctor to oversee your diet and fitness program. Slowly but steadily focus on improvements. A great place to start is simply to stop doing what you know you should not be doing.
Think about that stop doing what you know you should not be doing and this will lead to dramatic progress. Soon you can start adding new things to do once you stop doing what you know you should not be doing.
2/13/13 8:28 PM
strengthcoach

RobinHood -  Hey Mike,

Can you share some advice on goal setting, measuring performance and staying focused and on track?

Thanks
RH Phone Post

Advice? This is my life!. Set long-term goals and short-term goals they can be 10 years five years three years or three months. Within each goal break it down into quarters what do I need to accomplish in order to get to the next quarter. Within each quarter, break that down into specific tasks that need to be a signed and completed.
That is obvious to most people if you really think about it.
So truly the most important part of goal setting and staying on track is staying ACCOUNTABLE.
If you don't show up it does not happen. You must show up and you must find the reason that motivates you what internally motivates you and how will you stay on track.
GROUNDnLB
652 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat relatively healthy, but I do have a sweet tooth. I make relatively healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. (Healthy compared to store bought)

Is there truly a huge difference between 100% whole wheat flour and unbleached?

Also, is gluten the devil, or is it something I don't really need to cut out? Phone Post
sitchpack
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What foods in a weightloss diet are simply a must? what 'magic' foods you would reccommend to your athletes to help shed some poundage?.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.