UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> GameStop Screwed?

2/12/13 6:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TuLegit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What can they do if both the ps4 and next gen xbox have no secondhand playability? They made a statement saying people wouldn't buy a console that doesn't have that but I think that was just a desperate attempt to save themselves... Phone Post
2/12/13 6:49 PM
BigWilliam
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I wouldn't be buying a lot of stock in gamestop right now.
2/12/13 9:42 PM
Gerbacio
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are doomed !! People think not wot happens but as always consoles emulate PC and it was great for pc games the death of the used market

Look at steam and origin you can catch almost any game on a special for half price even week old tittles Phone Post
2/12/13 10:16 PM
mikehh

BigWilliam - Well I wouldn't be buying a lot of stock in gamestop right now.

buy 2 year put options.
2/13/13 2:08 AM
maantren
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gamestop is almost universally loathed among game publishers. The knives have been out for them for a very long time, everyone was just waiting for digital distribution to get to good enough to make the move. Best Buy & Walmart will pick up the rest of the bricks n mortar business once they're gone.
2/13/13 4:37 AM
Mikusoraiden
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gerbacio - They are doomed !! People think not wot happens but as always consoles emulate PC and it was great for pc games the death of the used market

Look at steam and origin you can catch almost any game on a special for half price even week old tittles Phone Post
You will not be finding steam level deals for consoles, I guarantee. Phone Post
2/13/13 8:02 PM
Choochy
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mikusoraiden -
Gerbacio - They are doomed !! People think not wot happens but as always consoles emulate PC and it was great for pc games the death of the used market

You will not be finding steam level deals for consoles, I guarantee. Phone Post
If Sony and MS get full control over the market (which they're trying to do) and open a store similar to steam they will.

I'd bet money on it.

They kind of have to, especially with the steambox coming out, the only games people would buy on consoles would be the exclusives. Phone Post
2/13/13 8:45 PM
gord96
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe MS and Sony are waking up to what has revitalized PC gaming.
2/13/13 8:52 PM
maantren
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The economics around PC development and Steam sales are totally different from console. Especially because of piracy and the way AAA PC games are effectively cross-subsidised by the console versions.

Also, Microsoft have had years to try Steam-style pricing on XBox Live and have never come close. IMO stuff like that is fundamentally against their DNA.
2/13/13 9:16 PM
Jei
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the psn will have steam-esque sales in time. count on it!

Microsoft may do the same to remain competetive, but its hard to say as I don't really work with their products much.

As for gamestop; its a question of how soon?

Next gen will still use discs, but if and when next-next gen consoles are out, they will be discless for sure.

It would be smarter to wait until gaming is entirely digital to make new games the only option.

Im very excited for the 20th so I can finally discuss with other consumers without (hopefully) as many rumours and such. Phone Post
2/13/13 10:09 PM
Choochy
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maantren - The economics around PC development and Steam sales are totally different from console. Especially because of piracy and the way AAA PC games are effectively cross-subsidised by the console versions.

Also, Microsoft have had years to try Steam-style pricing on XBox Live and have never come close. IMO stuff like that is fundamentally against their DNA.
MS can't though right now. They are locked into pricing to a certain extent until either the big box stores go under or they stop selling at those places.

Same reason that you can buy a boxing or ufc ppv on your cable box but if you go to stream it from the source, the cost is the same.

Its not that they don't want to have huge sales and make money off of games no one is buying, they can't.

Its better to have 100% of $19 instead of 0% of $49.

How games are sold will change significantly in the near future. Phone Post
2/13/13 11:07 PM
MMA Monkey

good riddance.
2/13/13 11:42 PM
UGCTT_OBEY
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So we are going to have to dl the game straight to our system? What if we have a low gb system would we have to delete a game to play another? Phone Post
2/14/13 4:56 AM
xNate
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_OBEY - So we are going to have to dl the game straight to our system? What if we have a low gb system would we have to delete a game to play another? Phone Post
Yes. Get the big hdd or upgrade it yourself for cheap Phone Post
2/14/13 4:59 AM
UGCTT_OBEY
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xNate -
UGCTT_OBEY - So we are going to have to dl the game straight to our system? What if we have a low gb system would we have to delete a game to play another? Phone Post
Thank you

If we do delete a game and decide that we want to play it again would we have to repurchase it Phone Post
2/14/13 7:28 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mikehh -
BigWilliam - Well I wouldn't be buying a lot of stock in gamestop right now.

buy 2 year put options.
I was just thinking this Phone Post
2/14/13 7:33 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_OBEY -
xNate -
Thank you

If we do delete a game and decide that we want to play it again would we have to repurchase it Phone Post
I would assume it would be in your purchase section and there would be no repaying. If that isn't the case, I would be done with console gaming. Phone Post
2/14/13 8:10 AM
gord96
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_OBEY -
xNate -
Thank you

It would be like Steam I imagine. You can re-download all your purchases an unlimited amount of times.

I would also think the consoles could seriously upgrade their hard drives. I mean most budget laptops have a 500gb hd if not a 1tb hd. Hard to believe MS or Sony cannot put something similar in their new consoles. Phone Post
2/14/13 9:23 AM
Jei
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 -
UGCTT_OBEY -
xNate -
Thank you

It would be like Steam I imagine. You can re-download all your purchases an unlimited amount of times.

I would also think the consoles could seriously upgrade their hard drives. I mean most budget laptops have a 500gb hd if not a 1tb hd. Hard to believe MS or Sony cannot put something similar in their new consoles. Phone Post
next gen will launch with a much larger hdd.

Also the games in the ps/ms stores already allow you to redownload them. :p that wont change, so no worries there. They will also still likely sell games like how PCs do, with big name games coming to walmart/best buy etc. with a code/card inside.

Many North Americans still dont have access to internet at all or a fast enough connection to download games in a realistic fashion, which will be a hurdle nextnext gen Phone Post
2/14/13 3:22 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jei -
gord96 -
UGCTT_OBEY -
xNate -
Thank you

next gen will launch with a much larger hdd.

Also the games in the ps/ms stores already allow you to redownload them. :p that wont change, so no worries there. They will also still likely sell games like how PCs do, with big name games coming to walmart/best buy etc. with a code/card inside.

Many North Americans still dont have access to internet at all or a fast enough connection to download games in a realistic fashion, which will be a hurdle nextnext gen Phone Post
Yeah, I can't imagine waiting three days to use my Xbox cuz its downloading a goddamn game. Phone Post
2/15/13 12:11 AM
Greenup
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I buy most of my games new. I will not buy a next gen console if this is true I'll just go with a wii u. Phone Post
2/15/13 12:43 AM
orcus

Gamestop claims Sony will not be blocking used games, while MS just says "no comment".

2/15/13 1:00 AM
Jei

less than a week from now consumers will be able to see Sony's next gen offering, and if the preliminaries look good to them, good! if not, there arr plenty of competitors out/coming very soon. Phone Post
2/15/13 6:33 AM
RyanPleasure

I hate GameStop so I couldn't care less if they went out of business. They only time I ever buy something from them is they have some sort of pre-order bonus others don't have. Phone Post
2/15/13 11:30 AM
Gerbacio
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greenup - I buy most of my games new. I will not buy a next gen console if this is true I'll just go with a wii u. Phone Post
Huh you are confusing me lol

You won't buy a console that dosnt play used games but you buy new? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.