UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Daniel Cormier Reacts to IOC decision on espn

2/12/13 11:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seats Taken
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Political Correctness isn't a factor. In 2016 fucking Golf is in the Olympics. How many small countries have pro golf players? Lots of small poor countries and middle eastern countries have their only competitors in wrestling, there is no barrier of entry to be good at wrestling. It's about $$$$ They keep the ping pong around because they make $$$ from Asian Markets. They keep bringing in sports that the western world has big name recognition with already outside of the Olympics. Example; Tiger Woods Shaun White and Kobe Bryant are famous without the Olympics. Jordan Burroughs is not. Phone Post
2/12/13 11:52 PM
ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phisher - 
ausgepicht - 
Phisher - 
Pride Wanderlei - 
ausgepicht -
gamer - Why did they take wrestling out?

What was their reasoning?

Basically comes down to the philosophy used in some schools: don't give out "A"s because the kids who got "D"s will feel bad.

Since wrestling is basically dominated by a handful of countries, the little countries feel left out. Jamaica can't medal in wrestling, so delete wrestling. 

All bow and hail to the deity of political correctness.

Wow, that's horseshit. Phone Post

Yeah, it's horseshit in that it has nothing to do with why wrestling was dropped from the program.

The aren't too many Jamaicans competing in dressage either, but that's still around.

?!?!

Horrible analogy. I mention that Jamaicans will never win a wrestling medal, and you compare it by sayiing there aren't too many Jamaicans competing in dressage? One is about chances of winning, the other is about number of competitors.

?!?!

Making your point completely invalid. Truth is that it was a massive factor in determining why it was cut.

Look man. You're blowing smoke out of your ass. Wrestling getting dropped has to do with politics behind the scenes in the IOC not "political correctness." If "being PC" were a concern, why would they drop a sport with no barriers to entry in favor of one like dressage where one needs to be obscenely weathly to compete on any level?

OK, I'm blowing smoke out of my ass, but when I call you out on your analogy you realize you are wrong so pretend you never said it? Who's blowing smoke up who's ass? 

Dressage exists because it's a rich person's sport and there are a ton of politics behind it's continuing. Have you see the IOC? One look at that white boy, rich club and you know why dressage will always be a sport. 

You say it's ratings, but that is a pile of hogwash. Many of the sports that are being kept no one watches. If you want to believe the party line from the IOC that it's about ratings, be my guest.

2/12/13 11:52 PM
Vincanni
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not even a huge wreslting fan but I signed this...

http://t.co/tr2JJ4xe

2/12/13 11:54 PM
Seats Taken
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated Penn -
Phisher - 
ausgepicht - 
Phisher - 
Pride Wanderlei - 
ausgepicht -

Basically comes down to the philosophy used in some schools: don't give out "A"s because the kids who got "D"s will feel bad.

Since wrestling is basically dominated by a handful of countries, the little countries feel left out. Jamaica can't medal in wrestling, so delete wrestling. 

Yeah, it's horseshit in that it has nothing to do with why wrestling was dropped from the program.

The aren't too many Jamaicans competing in dressage either, but that's still around.

?!?!

Horrible analogy. I mention that Jamaicans will never win a wrestling medal, and you compare it by sayiing there aren't too many Jamaicans competing in dressage? One is about chances of winning, the other is about number of competitors.

?!?!

Making your point completely invalid. Truth is that it was a massive factor in determining why it was cut.

Look man. You're blowing smoke out of your ass. Wrestling getting dropped has to do with politics behind the scenes in the IOC not "political correctness." If "being PC" were a concern, why would they drop a sport with no barriers to entry in favor of one like dressage where one needs to be obscenely weathly to compete on any level?

I sincerely doubt ausgepichts's explanation of the IOC having to remove sports to somehow even the score.

If they wanted to do that, there are other sports much more heavily dominated by single countries. Table Tennis is basically all China. Basketball, all US. Archery, almost all South Korea.. etc.

The bottom line is that the Olympic games are incredibly expensive to host.

The 2012 London Olympics had a budget of £9.3 billion (~$14.5 billion)

In order for the hosts to break even, they have to sell tickets.

They probably quite simply looked at how many people bought tickets for wrestling, and decided it was an unacceptable expense.

Personally, I think they should seriously consider axing canoe slalom instead. Surely an extremely expensive venue to build (white water centre), and will see zero use after the games.

A company called ASCI built a white water course like that where I live, they built it in hopes that it would become the training home of the US Team. It did not, and the company went and filed bankruptcy. Our county government is now footing the bill. The poorest county in Maryland has its own circulating white water course... And just closed 6 elementary schools because they couldn't afford them. Phone Post
2/12/13 11:56 PM
Phisher

Edited: 02/12/13 11:56 PM
ausgepicht - 
Phisher - 
ausgepicht - 
Phisher - 
Pride Wanderlei - 
ausgepicht -

?!?!

?!?!

OK, I'm blowing smoke out of my ass, but when I call you out on your analogy you realize you are wrong so pretend you never said it? Who's blowing smoke up who's ass? 

Dressage exists because it's a rich person's sport and there are a ton of politics behind it's continuing. Have you see the IOC? One look at that white boy, rich club and you know why dressage will always be a sport. 

You say it's ratings, but that is a pile of hogwash. Many of the sports that are being kept no one watches. If you want to believe the party line from the IOC that it's about ratings, be my guest.

I didn't say shit about ratings. You're confusing my post with somebody else's. I said that it was politics with the IOC.

Since you're acknowledging the fact that IOC is in fact an old boys club dominated by a bunch of wealthy European elitists, I don't even know why you're bothering to defend your original assertion in this thread.

2/12/13 11:58 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seats Taken - 
Motivated Penn -
Phisher - 
ausgepicht - 
Phisher - 
Pride Wanderlei - 
ausgepicht -

?!?!

?!?!

I sincerely doubt ausgepichts's explanation of the IOC having to remove sports to somehow even the score.

If they wanted to do that, there are other sports much more heavily dominated by single countries. Table Tennis is basically all China. Basketball, all US. Archery, almost all South Korea.. etc.

The bottom line is that the Olympic games are incredibly expensive to host.

The 2012 London Olympics had a budget of £9.3 billion (~$14.5 billion)

In order for the hosts to break even, they have to sell tickets.

They probably quite simply looked at how many people bought tickets for wrestling, and decided it was an unacceptable expense.

Personally, I think they should seriously consider axing canoe slalom instead. Surely an extremely expensive venue to build (white water centre), and will see zero use after the games.

A company called ASCI built a white water course like that where I live, they built it in hopes that it would become the training home of the US Team. It did not, and the company went and filed bankruptcy. Our county government is now footing the bill. The poorest county in Maryland has its own circulating white water course... And just closed 6 elementary schools because they couldn't afford them. Phone Post

That's tragic :/
2/12/13 11:59 PM
ausgepicht

Phisher - 
ausgepicht - 
Phisher - 
ausgepicht - 
Phisher - 
Pride Wanderlei - 
ausgepicht -

?!?!

?!?!

I didn't say shit about ratings. You're confusing my post with somebody else's. I said that it was politics with the IOC.

Since you're acknowledging the fact that IOC is in fact an old boys club dominated by a bunch of wealthy European elitists, I don't even know why you're bothering to defend your original assertion in this thread.

My bad. I merged your post with alpha Omega's. Anyhow, we're on the same side. Don't want to waste energy directed on each other that should be directed at the assholes that made this shite decision.

2/13/13 12:05 AM
FedorEmilioEstevez
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is wrestling not one if the oldest combat sports on earth? How can it be removed?

I'm Australian and we have no wrestling in schools and university but how it can not be recognised as a classic test of human abilities is a joke.

I am appalled. Phone Post
2/13/13 12:20 AM
Bucephalus

"The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission report that analyzed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity."
2/13/13 12:23 AM
ausgepicht

Bucephalus - "The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission report that analyzed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity."

39 criteria and the "respectable" journalist names 5 of them. More like 39 red herrings.

2/13/13 3:10 AM
xXJayRobXx
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -

If that's the case IOC needs to ban china from competing lol. They pwn a lot of competitions. Phone Post
2/13/13 3:24 AM
5 o clock shadow

Gotta disagree with you here ausgepicht. Wrestling isn't dominated by just a few countries. It's one of the few sports with a WIDE distribution of medals. Wrestling is one of the few sports where Iran, Azerbaijian (sp?), North Korea, and other countries are able to compete with powerhouse nations like the US, Russia, or China.

You could make the argument to keep wrestling in the Olympics for politically correct reasons. Almost every culture practices some form of wrestling, and it doesn't cost too much beyond mats (and probably a weightroom) to get a program going. So even if Senegal or Mongolia hasn't won a medal, I hardly doubt that they are shouting for its exclusion. Omitting wrestling from the Olympics makes it more of an exclusive club for predominantly Western nations.

fos
2/13/13 8:14 AM
Attdude
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait.. What?

http://rt.com/sport/olympic-wrestling-gays-conspiracy-105/
2/13/13 8:18 AM
Barbalos

The Olympics are a joke to me now. I couldn't care less about these idiots.
2/13/13 10:15 AM
Tomato Can
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It has nothing to do with medals being too concentrated in a few countries. Wrestling is competitive in way more countries than sports like table tennis and badminton. It is pure corruption. FILA didn't grease enough palms in the IOC. That's the long and the short of it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.