UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Flexibility

2/12/13 10:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
germ
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mine's terrible.Anyone here gone from bad to good in this department? How'd you do it? Yoga, static, etc...
2/13/13 3:03 PM
dubsoja
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you can't naturally do the splits, you'll never be able to do the splits. IMO

you can stretch to increase it a little... But honestly I don't think flexibility can be greatly improved. Phone Post
2/13/13 5:10 PM
Leigh
954 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was inflexlible but stretching got me to front splits. Rope over a bar, pull my leg up. 3 minutes each night.

I was 17 though Phone Post
2/13/13 6:04 PM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I made giant gains using techniques like shutdown threshold isometrics, contract-relax, and PNF stretching. It helps realizing that ranges of motion are inhibited by the nervous system as opposed to it being a muscle problem.

That said, yoga can be tremendously if you do it regularly since it's a regimented stretching practice. I normally don't stretch for 90 minutes, but that's essentially what my weekly Bikram sessions are.
2/13/13 7:27 PM
turducken

dubsoja -  If you can't naturally do the splits, you'll never be able to do the splits. IMO

you can stretch to increase it a little... But honestly I don't think flexibility can be greatly improved. Phone Post

this is the stupidest thing i have read on here in a while. flexibility can easily be greatly improved and anyone can develop the ability to do a split.

it just takes a lot of time and consistent work. the older you are and the more inflexible you are to begin with, the longer it will take. most people would make gigantic improvements with 20mins of stretching per day every day. but it takes consistency, more so than lifting weights. stretching a few times here and there isnt going to help much.
2/14/13 1:22 AM
NinjaNate

Doing the exercises in the DDP yoga videos for a number of weeks greatly improved my flexibility.
2/14/13 8:56 AM
HULC
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubsoja -  If you can't naturally do the splits, you'll never be able to do the splits. IMO

Flexibility is one of the easiest things to improve. There are pensioners out there who can still do the splits because they made the effort to stay limber. Stop making excuses.
2/14/13 9:06 AM
kikenyoy
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was 23 and started doing karate I was a few inches away from being able to touch my toes and was similarly inflexible with the splits. Within about 4 months I could put my palms on the floor on the standing hamstring stretch and do front and side splits.
2/15/13 3:26 PM
germ
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the replies and I will research some of the suggestions above "like shutdown threshold isometrics, contract-relax, and PNF stretching".

kikenyoy, just to clarify, you attribute your increased flexibility to just the practice of karate or the warm-up/stretch before/after class? I know it's pretty common practice to stretch before and/or after class, so would you say it's difficult to determine the cause of your gains or did you guys do little if any stretching for the sake of flexibility?

2/16/13 2:37 AM
kikenyoy
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

germ - Thanks for the replies and I will research some of the suggestions above "like shutdown threshold isometrics, contract-relax, and PNF stretching".

kikenyoy, just to clarify, you attribute your increased flexibility to just the practice of karate or the warm-up/stretch before/after class? I know it's pretty common practice to stretch before and/or after class, so would you say it's difficult to determine the cause of your gains or did you guys do little if any stretching for the sake of flexibility?

No, I would say that it's really easy for me to determine.

I did karate for about a month and was obsessed with it. I thought it was the greatest thing ever (in my defense, this was pre-UFC 1). Then I badly sprained my ankle while being young and stupid (non-karate related) and the doctor said it would take about 2 months before I could go back to class. The only thing I could do to improve my karate was to stretch so I stretched for an hour or two per day.

I knew nothing about different methods of stretching so I just did static stretching. I can write out the specific stretches if you like, but I'm sure there are better methods available.

When I returned to class after about 6 weeks I was able to land a few head kicks on everyone in the sparring/kickboxing class because they all remembered how inflexible I was before the injury. :)
2/17/13 5:46 PM
andyman011

I hear isometrics does wonders for this Phone Post
2/17/13 11:39 PM
Chocolate Shatner
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh -  I was inflexlible but stretching got me to front splits. Rope over a bar, pull my leg up. 3 minutes each night.

I was 17 though Phone Post

did you have the spirit of Bruce Lee teaching you at the same time?
2/18/13 1:35 AM
Chocolate Shatner
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fearless Winker - 

Leigh is Bruce Lee and Jim Weider's love child.

If Leigh fought the love child of John Wayne and Chuck Norris, the universe would explode from the awesomeness
2/18/13 3:05 AM
Leigh
954 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hahaha Phone Post
2/18/13 9:30 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out this site.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/
4/10/13 7:21 AM
Leigh

Anyone know of a program that will make me hyperflexible? I want super flexibility. I can put the time in but want something I can do from home by myself. Like a routine to follow everyday.

My goal is Dhalsim-like mobility.

Cheers
4/10/13 6:12 PM
andyman011

Leigh - Anyone know of a program that will make me hyperflexible? I want super flexibility. I can put the time in but want something I can do from home by myself. Like a routine to follow everyday.

My goal is Dhalsim-like mobility.

Cheers
Contact bj Penn. Tell him you're looking at full hip and knee replacement. Ask him to volunteer his. Tell him you'd be honored to take his mobility Phone Post
4/12/13 3:06 AM
Leigh

Someone told me that significantly improving flexibility as an adult is tough and basically impossible unless you were inactive etc. Any truth to this? Phone Post
4/12/13 4:00 AM
12ealdeal

Not to derail this.....maybe Leigh you could clarify

Based on that thread about the back, and not stretching it....

....in what context is stretching good/useful?

I have been doing it for years and starting to think perhaps it's the reason behind a bunch of recent injuries. (Given the discussion in that other thread).

Does being flexible also make you more prone to injury? I see the argument presented in that thread. But I see reasons for and against, and now I'm just pretty frustrated with the confusion. Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 4:25 AM
Leigh

Being flexible can be somewhat inversely proportional to stability.

I hurt my back being stupid on dead lift. I don't think a flexible back is ideal and would rather have a strong back. However, for performance I think flexibility in hips, hamstrings and shoulders would be very useful. Phone Post
4/12/13 10:24 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12ealdeal - Not to derail this.....maybe Leigh you could clarify

Based on that thread about the back, and not stretching it....

....in what context is stretching good/useful?

I have been doing it for years and starting to think perhaps it's the reason behind a bunch of recent injuries. (Given the discussion in that other thread).

Does being flexible also make you more prone to injury? I see the argument presented in that thread. But I see reasons for and against, and now I'm just pretty frustrated with the confusion. Phone Post 3.0

If you are doing static stretching be fore strength training that could very well be what is causing injury.

And I am the same as Leigh I would rather have a strong back than a flexible one.
4/12/13 11:17 AM
HUMBLED1
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/12/13 11:17 AM
Sorry for the FRAT hahah.I made huge gains as far as flexibility goes. I would stretch daily but always a warm up first. I would think the tighter a muscle or body is, the more prone to injury. My point of view....Imagine an old rarely used rubber band,the farther you stretch it, its more likely to tear or snap. If that rubber band was used regulary it would have pliability & elasticity, and more than likely be able to handle the stresses put on it.I read somewhere that stretching can make the joints of the body weaker and prone to instability. I have seen no decrease in strength or performance with a good stretching plan. I feel better and not as tight, after stretching before and after a workout. I feel like I'm wound up like an 8 day clock by just walking out of the gym after a workout with no cool down and stretch. I bought a stretching book with all types of stretches,its nice.
4/12/13 11:22 AM
Leigh

Static stretches? Phone Post
4/12/13 11:26 AM
JamesDean57

Static stretching means a stretch is held in a challenging but comfortable position for a period of time, usually somewhere between 10 to 30 seconds
4/12/13 11:29 AM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/12/13 11:30 AM

Nearly every study I've read about the dangers of static stretching has had some ridiculous protocol where people hold the stretch for at least an entire 60 seconds but in many cases, we are talking multiple minutes of holding a single stretch.  When I do static stretches to warm up and cool down, it's usually only a 5-10 second hold.  When I bought into the "static stretching is bad" stuff and only did dynamic warmups, I picked up tweaks a lot more often.  As always, do whatever works for you and ignore some guy waving a paper telling you that you're doing it wrong because a study of 17 pre-pubescent girls using a protocol that barely has anything in common with yours showed negative results for 14 of them.  :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.