UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Flexibility

4/12/13 11:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Leigh
826 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JamesDean57 - Static stretching means a stretch is held in a challenging but comfortable position for a period of time, usually somewhere between 10 to 30 seconds
Lol I was asking if did static stretches, not what they were ;) Should have been more clear, sorry.

Adventure Runner, I always enjoy your posts. You got any stretching routines to improve flexibility? Phone Post
4/12/13 12:00 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha!  Glad I can entertain. ;)

I don't have any routines, per se.  I just use a hodge podge of stuff that I've picked up over the years.  I think it's like anything else.  If you want to get better at it, you should focus on it and train it regularly.  For most people, stretching is afterthought.  It's just something to do for a few minutes before and/or after a workout.  Most people aren't going to respond to it that way.  I had my best results when I replaced a work day with a stretching day.  Instead of doing strength 3x week, I'd use the middle day for nothing but stretching drills that were a mash up of static stretches, loaded passive stretches, dynamic stretches, and STI/PNF stretches.  I'd treat it like a training day.

Now that I'm an old man, and my main focus is on health as opposed to lifting every pound I can get my body to lift, I spend a good 30 minutes before every "main" workout (2-3x/week) doing stretching and mobility drills.  I understand most people don't have the time for that, but paying that much attention to it has really paid dividends for me.  I'm more limber and pain free now than I have been in years, and it's not like I'm weak either.  I'm weaker than I was before, but I'm also a lot healthier than I was before and still considerably stronger than most folks or even most folks in my local gym for that matter.  At first, I was very afraid of losing tons of strength and becoming a weakling by changing my focus.  That fear never really materialized though, and it's made me question just how much time I had wasted in the gym in the past when I'd probably have gotten the same results in half the time.

Do you have any problem areas or specific things your cruious about?

4/12/13 12:15 PM
Leigh
826 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's pretty much my goal - I'm already as strong as I need to be, I want better mobility. I will never be weak, unless I get I'll or injured.

I already spend more time stretching than lifting but want to ramp it up to 30 mins every day.

No, not really any problem areas or at least not one more than the other, lol. Phone Post
4/12/13 3:17 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - 
JamesDean57 - Static stretching means a stretch is held in a challenging but comfortable position for a period of time, usually somewhere between 10 to 30 seconds
Lol I was asking if did static stretches, not what they were ;) Should have been more clear, sorry.

Adventure Runner, I always enjoy your posts. You got any stretching routines to improve flexibility? Phone Post

I thought that was kind of a strange question coming from you.
4/12/13 4:01 PM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wouldn't a Pilates class a few times a week fulfil your aims, Leigh?
4/12/13 5:28 PM
Leigh

HULC - Wouldn't a Pilates class a few times a week fulfil your aims, Leigh?
Would it? I don't know. I'd rather do it at home so I can fit my stretching into my schedule. Is pilates good for flexibility? Should I get a DVD? Phone Post
4/12/13 10:22 PM
Kroger39
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Thomas Kurz's Stretching Scientifically is a good book to grasp the fundamentals of flexibility training. Pavel's Relax into Stretch is a good one also. Both can be had for relatively cheap. In both these books increasing flexibility is addressed through the nervous system and building strength not stretching actual tissue.

Kelly Starrett's MWOD stuff is also great. He addresses the issue from both sides: nervous system and tissue quality.
4/13/13 3:17 AM
Leigh

Thanks. Which will give me results? Phone Post
4/13/13 10:25 AM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adventure Runner

Excellent posts!

My flexiblity improve tremendously when I decided to stretch more often. For me the improvement was simply a matter of consistency.

My stretching routine is more or less a combination of static stretches, dynamic stretches and mobility exercise (generally movements from tradtional gymnastics, Ginastic Natural, and jiujitsu).

I generally try to do some stretching/mobility exercise three times a day: once in the morning when I get up, once in the after jiujitsu practice, and once before going to bed. Sometimes I can only manage once or twice a day. But again the overall goal is consistancy. Consistancy is what will make the difference.
4/13/13 1:35 PM
Badmonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is a great mobility routine - i add 5-10 minutes of stretching at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W5s4gyZn0g
4/16/13 1:09 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For over-all routine I am a fan of Synerstretch. I have used elements of this plan for many years. I like the way they think about how the muscles work together

I also use the Stretch Trainer sometimes. quick and easy. Well thought out little device.

TAKU

4/16/13 1:13 PM
Leigh

Thanks guys Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.