UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Just Finished Super Metroid on SNES

2/12/13 11:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sofa King Cool
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy crap what an awesome game. I haven't played it in over fifteen years and was a little nervous that it might not stand the test of time.

It did, and it still holds up as quite possibly my favorite video game of all time. Serious. If you've never played it get a mod and check it out. Phone Post
2/12/13 11:46 PM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the GBA Metroid was good too.

2/15/13 7:46 AM
Skeletor68
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's an amazing game. So atmospheric, really good intuitive learning and depth. Beautiful art, great exploration. Just so good.

Fanastic retrospective on the design here.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/HugoBille/20120114/9236/

2/15/13 12:30 PM
SlapUsilly
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CharlesLewis - 

the GBA Metroid was good too.

You talking about Fusion or the other one?

Never played fusion, but the other one - name slips me right now - was pretty damn good.
2/19/13 4:42 AM
FinestScotch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some of the retro masterpieces simply cannot be replicated by modern consoles.

Super Metroid is a classic.

2/19/13 9:37 AM
disbeliever
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I never understood why they turned that franchise into a FPS. Awesome game
2/19/13 1:40 PM
Sofa King Cool
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - I never understood why they turned that franchise into a FPS. Awesome game
Yeah, this. Phone Post
2/19/13 3:31 PM
SlapUsilly
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sofa King Cool - 
disbeliever - I never understood why they turned that franchise into a FPS. Awesome game
Yeah, this. Phone Post

There is only so much you can do with sidescrollers w/o getting gimicky.
Besides, they released two other sidescrolling metroids after the switch to 3d.

Also, its not like they went 3d and made it suck.. Metroid Prime is a damn fine game.
2/19/13 3:33 PM
disbeliever
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SlapUsilly - 
Sofa King Cool - 
Yeah, this. Phone Post

Also, its not like they went 3d and made it suck.. Metroid Prime is a damn fine game.

FPS is not the same to me
2/19/13 10:13 PM
JuanPP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After the first prime the series went to shit imo Phone Post
2/20/13 12:24 PM
SlapUsilly

disbeliever - 
SlapUsilly - 
Sofa King Cool - 
Yeah, this. Phone Post

I just don't see what else they could do with a sidescroller.

Then again... More sidescrolling Metroid isn't a bad thing either.

WiiU has promise if they do a side scroller and use that other screen for inventory or whatever.
2/20/13 12:28 PM
disbeliever

SlapUsilly - 
disbeliever - 
SlapUsilly - 
Sofa King Cool - 
Yeah, this. Phone Post

I just don't see what else they could do with a sidescroller.

Then again... More sidescrolling Metroid isn't a bad thing either.

WiiU has promise if they do a side scroller and use that other screen for inventory or whatever.

Side scrollers may be limiting, or even dated, but to me that was another example of fixing something that wasn't broken.

Like Legend of Zelda 2. The first Zelda game broke records and was universally loved. So what do they do? Go to a top down shell of the former game.

Metroid and Super Metroid were fantastic games. Huge worlds, weapons, enemies, puzzles. And they turned the franchise into a FPS shooter like call of duty.
2/20/13 2:38 PM
TheBearStare
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

super metroid is easily one of the greats. great atmosphere, gameplay and design
2/20/13 2:49 PM
Mikusoraiden
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first Prime game was awesome!

If you haven't played Shadow Complex on Xbox live you need to...fantastic modern side scrolling metroidvania game. Phone Post
2/20/13 2:49 PM
Sofa King Cool

I wouldn't have minded it it was a 3rd person 3D game, I'm just not a big fan of FPS. I know I'm in the minority. Phone Post
2/20/13 4:41 PM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm with you, SKC. I tried to get into the FP Metroids I just hate the interface. I can't judge distance in those games.

Ditto Castlevania, except there they went to third person button mash fests. I would rather play SOTN or any of the DS Castlevanias than these new ones. They feel generic and uninspired to me.

2/20/13 4:46 PM
None So Blind
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shadow Complex is arguably THE BEST Xbox arcade game, and it's nothing more than an homage to Super Metroid.

To think that a new side scrolling Metroid game wouldn't sell like crazy...well, that's just nuts :-P
2/20/13 10:03 PM
TheBearStare
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When sotn first came out i had hoped they would make a metroidvania for the megaman series. Like a huge wily castle with the boss robots spread out and you could use their powers to access new areas. Phone Post
2/20/13 11:02 PM
Mikusoraiden
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBearStare - When sotn first came out i had hoped they would make a metroidvania for the megaman series. Like a huge wily castle with the boss robots spread out and you could use their powers to access new areas. Phone Post
Someone give this man a large budget and development team! Phone Post
2/21/13 12:50 AM
TheBearStare

That makes me happy to hear that someone else would enjoy that. I adore the megaman series. Phone Post
2/21/13 7:18 PM
Sofa King Cool

None So Blind - Shadow Complex is arguably THE BEST Xbox arcade game, and it's nothing more than an homage to Super Metroid.

To think that a new side scrolling Metroid game wouldn't sell like crazy...well, that's just nuts :-P
I'm going to look into this. Thanks. Phone Post
2/21/13 9:56 PM
None So Blind
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you liked Metroid, you will like SC.

Hell, if you like video games at all, you'll like both :-P
2/21/13 11:37 PM
QAM256

Subd as a reminder to check out Shadow Complex. Phone Post
2/22/13 6:12 AM
Mikusoraiden

The terrible tragedy of Shadow Complex is the COMPLETE inability to start a fresh game after beating it.

You can start a new game but you will have all your powerful weapon unlocks. Its saved to your gamertag so even if you get a brand new xbox (like I did) and re-download the game...You still can't replay a brand new game file. Phone Post
2/22/13 7:26 AM
None So Blind

Would using a different tag work?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.